Just dropping this here [Mod: cool pic of past and present Finnish Jets]

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
So cheering for short playoffs runs? :towel:

Well, there is that, I suppose. But is it too much to ask that he at least keep it neatly trimmed? Playoffs should not excuse bad style decisions. I mean, before you know it, the players will be sporting playoff mullets and coming to the games in camo chic and crocs. :help: :laugh:

Reactions: Ippenator

1stDan

Jan 6, 2018
Agreed that he likely was the best all around d-man.

By the way your description of a perfect defenseman seems to match a current young Jets d-man that still hasn’t been inked to a long term deal.

I swear I wont sleep right until this deal is done. I hope to hell the kid doesnt want to go to his hometown Flames.

Reactions: SoCalJetsFan

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Maybe Edmonton?

Aye, correct. It was sort of before my time though as I didn't follow NHL at the 80s. But you are right, Kurri's legacy in Edmonton beats Selänne's in Winnipeg (since his visit here was too short). Of course there were other Finns in Edmonton as well like Tikkanen and even Hagman who played there a couple of seasons. I've just always considered Selänne's 76 goal rookie season the most mesmerizing single achievement in the Finnish hockey. Nevermind the fact of not getting to live through Kurri's reign at conscious level. Laine, Vesalainen and Niku could tip the scales though and they'll only need a few homeruns with the Cup. ;)

Reactions: Legend Leinonen

Legend Leinonen

Apr 8, 2016
Finland
Aye, correct. It was sort of before my time though as I didn't follow NHL at the 80s. But you are right, Kurri's legacy in Edmonton beats Selänne's in Winnipeg (since his visit here was too short). Of course there were other Finns in Edmonton as well like Tikkanen and even Hagman who played there a couple of seasons. I've just always considered Selänne's 76 goal rookie season the most mesmerizing single achievement in the Finnish hockey. Nevermind the fact of not getting to live through Kurri's reign at conscious level. Laine, Vesalainen and Niku could tip the scales though and they'll only need a few homeruns with the Cup. ;)

Tikkanen - Hagman - Kurri
Summanen - Jussi Jokinen - Puljujärvi
Petrell - Salmelainen - Pakarinen
Hartikainen - ??? - Rita

Ruotsalainen - Siltanen
Niinimaa - Pitkänen
Luoma - Haakana

Goal: Markkanen, Koskinen

Versus

Laine - Olli Jokinen - Selänne
Skriko - Ketola - Armia
Kyllönen - Miettinen - Vesalainen
Melametsä - ??? - Järvenpää

Riihiranta - Numminen
Niku - Seppä
Blomsten

Goal: Mattsson

Feel free to correct if forgot someone etc

Last edited:

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Tikkanen - Hagman - Kurri
Summanen - Jussi Jokinen - Puljujärvi
Petrell - Salmelainen - Pakarinen
Hartikainen - ??? - Rita

Ruotsalainen - Siltanen
Niinimaa - Pitkänen
Luoma - Haakana

Goal: Markkanen, Koskinen

Versus

Laine - Olli Jokinen - Selänne
Skriko - Ketola - Armia
Kyllönen - Miettinen - Vesalainen
Melametsä - ??? - Järvenpää

Riihiranta - Numminen
Niku - Seppä
Blomsten

Goal: Mattsson

Feel free to correct if forgot someone etc
No fair - the Oilers had 16 extra seasons to play Finns...and they originally got the idea from the Jets! ;)

So if you remove Oiler Finns from 1996-97 to 2010-11 that excludes Salmelainen, Hartikainen, Rita, Niinimaa, Pitkanen, Luoma.

The first Finnish Jets were Ketola and Riihiranta in 74-75. The Oilers didn't have a Finn on the roster until 77-78 (Juha Widing).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->