Just Drop The Puck!

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
Anyone else completely fed up with the constant BS that accompanies face-offs? I swear, at every Petes home game, it seems like half the face-offs are delayed because someone is committing an infraction (perhaps they're breathing too heavily or something) and they get tossed. Then the adjustments begin. It's ridiculous and driving me nuts.

A minor issue? 100%. But it's so irritating to watch. I'm sure I sound like a grumpy old man, and I'm fine with that. I'm embracing it. But it just seems to ridiculous that they can't seem to have any actual face-offs happen on the first try.

Last edited:

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Anyone else completely fed up with the constant BS that accompanies face-offs? I swear, at every Petes home game, it seems like half the face-offs are delayed because someone is committing an infraction (perhaps their breathing too heavily or something) and they get tossed. Then the adjustments begin. It's ridiculous and driving me nuts.

A minor issue? 100%. But it's so irritating to watch. I'm sure I sound like a grumpy old man, and I'm fine with that. I'm embracing it. But it just seems to ridiculous that they can't seem to have any actual face-offs happen on the first try.
The one that drives me insane is when one team clearly wins the draw then they blow the whistle and say no the team who lost the draw jumped so we need to do it again. If the team who is at the disadvantage won it clean, then play on??

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
It's an area of the game that has driven me to no end. I understand that fact of wanting a fair draw for the puck but with all the little rules that are in the game I can't see them changing that anytime soon.

Unfortunately with all the video reviews and other delays in the game these days I can't see the OHL changing any of these rules anytime soon.

The face-off is simple enough in principle but difficult to manage within an in the mement scenario. If every team could follow the ruling perfectly then there would be no reason for the rule in the first place.

Unfortunately we do not live in a perfect OHL and we are dealing with foulable human beings that have to make split decisions and unfortunately they react in the best possible way sometimes they get the call right and sometimes they get it wrong. It could be a player moves an inch the wrong way or doesn't position himself properly and he gets called for the movement too early.

I've seen thousands of draws in thousands of plays and at the end of the day the OHL has no real way to perfect the ruling on face offs. No one would be happy no matter the outcome.

At the end of the day until and unless they come up with a better way to do a face-off then we will continue to see face-offs be thrown out of draws.

But what do you do to fix it? Put cameras above the face-off dots? add video cameras in officials helmets? And how much more do you delay games to get the little details fixed. If that's the case games would take days to complete.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad