Just Do The Canada Cup Every 4 Years

Status
Not open for further replies.

mytor4*

larsmark said:
Olympics > Canada Cup

Why should everything be played by your rules? And the stupid NHL reffing that exist in the "World Cup" is just silly. I've never seen such biased reffing as in the semi-finals last time.

a canadac cup >>>>> than the olympic gold everytime. geez half our players don't even want to play in the olympics. a canada cup now would get no refusal from any of our players even if they had little nagging injurys. hey wait i just realize even your some of your players [kiprusoff,lehtonen,naslund,etc...] don't even want to play in the olympics hehe. ya olympics are 4th on the list behind
1 the silver cup
2 canada cup if it was stilled played
3 world cup
4 and pulling up on the rear the gold.
ps as bad as some of the nhl refs have been there light yrs ahead of euro refs.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
How about doing something similiar to soocer in the Olympics, make it an under 22 event. That way the NHL does not have to take a break, it could slow down a bit maybe, because their rosters would not be signifigantly depleted. You could imagine the quality of the games would be pretty similiar with Ovechkin, Crosby, Malkin etc.., and probably more exciting.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
daver said:
How about doing something similiar to soocer in the Olympics, make it an under 22 event. That way the NHL does not have to take a break, it could slow down a bit maybe, because their rosters would not be signifigantly depleted. You could imagine the quality of the games would be pretty similiar with Ovechkin, Crosby, Malkin etc.., and probably more exciting.

You think NHL teams would let any player go if the league isn't on a break? There is zero chance.

Bonzi

Apr 29, 2005
Tyumen, Russia
What are you talking about? The Canada Cup is just a commercial tournament! To entertain North American NHL fans. It has lost its value many years ago. It's even valued less than the World Championship. I would it put on the same level with the Spenlger Cup. It could be more interesting if it's been held not only in Canada, but all over the world. But it would not be The Canada Cup anymore though...

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
daver said:
How about doing something similiar to soocer in the Olympics, make it an under 22 event.
The olny reason they do that in football is because if they didn't, football would completely overshadow everything else.

TK79

Jul 5, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
Spungo said:
After 2010 that is.

This whole interrupting the season for weeks in mid-season actually does make the NHL look a bit bush league in my opinion.

Add the fact that the games have been pretty crap. Add the fact that no touch icing is really starting to piss me off. Add to that the fact that the ice is too damn big. Add the fact that it makes the NHL season practically stretch into July. And finally add the fact that Olympic hockey has done jack squat for the NHL in America. Remember that was the whole point of having NHL players at the Olympics. It failed.

Bring back the Canada Cup... no, not the World Cup, the CANADA Cup. You know, that hockey tournament with actual history behind it. Calling it the "World Cup" did nothing but diminish it's importance.

First of all, there is only one "World Cup" and it ain't for hockey.

Secondly, let's face it, every other country would love to win the "Canada Cup" in Canada and rub it in our faces rather than win some old lady's glass vase that was the "World Cup". Did you see the players skate around with that joke of a trophy in 2004? They were laughing at the damn thing. The Canada Cup (wich actually wasn't a cup at all) was a damn cool looking trophy.

Forget this Olympic stuff and bring back the Canada Cup every four years in September.

The only problem is that the level of play often sucks because players aren't exactly in game shape in September..

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
TK79 said:
The only problem is that the level of play often sucks because players aren't exactly in game shape in September..

Add the fact that no one cares about hockey in September. Well, outside of Canada and we all know that there's no need to promote the game in that country.

Jazz

jekoh said:
I don't think the Finns for instance want international tournaments to be played with Finnish league rules. They accept the international rules like everybody else (should).
The difference between Finnish rules and IIHF rules are minor (rink size etc) compared to between NHL rules and IIHF...

Besides, I was countering larsmark's 'irresponsible' comment that Europeans "always" play by NHL rules

JVR

HeadHitsAreNotIllega
Jul 17, 2002
Visit site
I know i know the NHL is the best league n the world and most north-american NHL fans don't care about the European leagues but the Europena leagues are taking a time-out as well and IFK, Jokerit, Lausanne, Magnitogorsk etc. etc. would be pretty mad as well if their best player get hurt in the olympics.

Spungo*

Bonzi said:
What are you talking about? The Canada Cup is just a commercial tournament! To entertain North American NHL fans. It has lost its value many years ago. It's even valued less than the World Championship. I would it put on the same level with the Spenlger Cup. It could be more interesting if it's been held not only in Canada, but all over the world. But it would not be The Canada Cup anymore though...

Is the Stanley Cup played in some guy named Stanley's basement every year?

And as to the rest of what you said, it doesn't dignify a response.

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Corto said:
1 - Olympics don't have history?

2 - you do realize Canada would have an unfair advantage playing in home arena every game?

You wanna see who's the best every once in a while? Having the Slovaks and Russians play 2 away games and then another away game in the QF vs Canada and the US is not the way to do it.
Especially cos it would happen ever time.

Turin is a neutral setting for everyone.
Stop whining. Don't watch it if you don't like it. It's that simple.

checkmate!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->