Just Do The Canada Cup Every 4 Years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spungo*

After 2010 that is.

This whole interrupting the season for weeks in mid-season actually does make the NHL look a bit bush league in my opinion.

Add the fact that the games have been pretty crap. Add the fact that no touch icing is really starting to piss me off. Add to that the fact that the ice is too damn big. Add the fact that it makes the NHL season practically stretch into July. And finally add the fact that Olympic hockey has done jack squat for the NHL in America. Remember that was the whole point of having NHL players at the Olympics. It failed.

Bring back the Canada Cup... no, not the World Cup, the CANADA Cup. You know, that hockey tournament with actual history behind it. Calling it the "World Cup" did nothing but diminish it's importance.

First of all, there is only one "World Cup" and it ain't for hockey.

Secondly, let's face it, every other country would love to win the "Canada Cup" in Canada and rub it in our faces rather than win some old lady's glass vase that was the "World Cup". Did you see the players skate around with that joke of a trophy in 2004? They were laughing at the damn thing. The Canada Cup (wich actually wasn't a cup at all) was a damn cool looking trophy.

Forget this Olympic stuff and bring back the Canada Cup every four years in September.

nneate

Jul 24, 2005
Canada
The facial hair on that avatar makes baby jesus cry. :cry:

I wouldn't mind seeing the Canada Cup again, and the olympics are really hurting some teams.

Bill McNeal

Jul 19, 2003
Montreal
You'll have a hard time convincing Europeans to participate... I doubt many of them grow up dreaming of winning the Canada Cup.

I'm all for an alternative tournament, but have it hosted by different countries every 4 years. Also, the host country gets to decide which set of rules the games will be played with, international or NA.

The_Eck

Jan 5, 2006
Montreal
Spungo said:
After 2010 that is.

This whole interrupting the season for weeks in mid-season actually does make the NHL look a bit bush league in my opinion.

Add the fact that the games have been pretty crap. Add the fact that no touch icing is really starting to piss me off. Add to that the fact that the ice is too damn big. Add the fact that it makes the NHL season practically stretch into July. And finally add the fact that Olympic hockey has done jack squat for the NHL in America. Remember that was the whole point of having NHL players at the Olympics. It failed.

Bring back the Canada Cup... no, not the World Cup, the CANADA Cup. You know, that hockey tournament with actual history behind it. Calling it the "World Cup" did nothing but diminish it's importance.

Secondly, let's face it, every other country would love to win the "Canada Cup" in Canada and rub it in our faces rather than win some old lady's glass vase that was the "World Cup". Did you see the players skate around with that joke of a trophy in 2004? They were laughing at the damn thing. The Canada Cup (wich actually wasn't a cup at all) was a damn cool looking trophy.

Forget this Olympic stuff and bring back the Canada Cup every four years in September.

Have you ever created one thread that was actually positive?? Jesus Christ you're so damn pessimistic. I found these games quite entertaining to tell you the truth, stop being so bitter and enjoy the games. Canada Vs Russia is going to be really exciting, learn to enjoy.

rad_sci_guy

Aug 17, 2005
Thornhill
I agree that the NHL doesn't belong in the Olympics.

It was more fun to watch when it was amateurs and learning about those atheletes. There should be a tournament held between winter Olympics which professionals could attend; like the world cup but give it a better name and trophy as well.

These games have not been exciting. I feel many of the teams in the round robin were going through the motions. What do you expect when you have multi-million dollar players afraid to get hurt or under orders to not go full out from their greedy owners.

Force

Jan 26, 2006
The Albino said:
You'll have a hard time convincing Europeans to participate... I doubt many of them grow up dreaming of winning the Canada Cup.

I'm all for an alternative tournament, but have it hosted by different countries every 4 years. Also, the host country gets to decide which set of rules the games will be played with, international or NA.

The people in charge of the fate of hockey (IIHF, NHL) have to come up with one definite ruleset for the game. There is already a progress ongoing at this, but not all countries could implement all NHL rules in time for the olympics. Give it one more season and i guess we'll see more consistant rules all over the world.

Regarding rink size: I think the large rink is the way to go. Players get better and better and the game gets faster and more athletic all the time. Small rinks will make it simply too easy to defend. Folks are complaining about the 1+4 system already, imagine that beeing played by team canada. That would equal building a brick wall on the blue line if you narrow the width...

Thats the major plus football has btw. Regerdless if you play in england or brazil or china, the rules are the same everywhere.

Jazz

Spungo said:
....Bring back the Canada Cup... no, not the World Cup, the CANADA Cup. You know, that hockey tournament with actual history behind it. Calling it the "World Cup" did nothing but diminish it's importance.....
I'll give you 2 words why the "Canada" Cup will NEVER be returned: Alan Eagleson.

Since it was his brainchild, it will not be brought back...accept it, then you can move on....

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Spungo said:
After 2010 that is.

1 - Olympics don't have history?

2 - you do realize Canada would have an unfair advantage playing in home arena every game?

You wanna see who's the best every once in a while? Having the Slovaks and Russians play 2 away games and then another away game in the QF vs Canada and the US is not the way to do it.
Especially cos it would happen ever time.

Turin is a neutral setting for everyone.
Stop whining. Don't watch it if you don't like it. It's that simple.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Corto said:
1 - Olympics don't have history?

2 - you do realize Canada would have an unfair advantage playing in home arena every game?

You wanna see who's the best every once in a while? Having the Slovaks and Russians play 2 away games and then another away game in the QF vs Canada and the US is not the way to do it.
Especially cos it would happen ever time.

Turin is a neutral setting for everyone.
Stop whining. Don't watch it if you don't like it. It's that simple

Here, Here :clap: If you dont like it don't watch it.

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
i am 110% for the Olympics and completely against a non-olympic ripoff tournament

i dont care if we have to take off 11days from the season, once ever 4 years

i'm not going to get more into this because its already been said.

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
rad_sci_guy said:
I agree that the NHL doesn't belong in the Olympics.

It was more fun to watch when it was amateurs and learning about those atheletes. There should be a tournament held between winter Olympics which professionals could attend; like the world cup but give it a better name and trophy as well.

These games have not been exciting. I feel many of the teams in the round robin were going through the motions. What do you expect when you have multi-million dollar players afraid to get hurt or under orders to not go full out from their greedy owners.

what amateurs exactly?

they already have the frozen 4 for NCAA players

everyone else is a professional athlete over 16 years of age..

Vanucks

Apr 25, 2003
Rogers Arena?
Metallian said:
i am 110% for the Olympics and completely against a non-olympic ripoff tournament

i dont care if we have to take off 11days from the season, once ever 4 years

i'm not going to get more into this because its already been said.
I completely agree.

However, I wouldn't mind the league shortening the schedule in Olympic years, to 70 games or so. It would really ease the strain on some guys.

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
HNIC said:
I completely agree.

However, I wouldn't mind the league shortening the schedule in Olympic years, to 70 games or so. It would really ease the strain on some guys.

yeah, but what if someone was on record pace to break something and those 12 games less would ruin it

no?

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
ok, if its only the Canada Cup and no Olympics. Then can we finally have the Canada Cup played as a tournament in X country and the finals etc somewhere else than Canada?

It's not a true competition if 1 team always home advantage.

Danny__K

Oct 6, 2005
yes taking a 2 weeks break to participate in the largest winter sporting event in the world every 4 years makes the NHL bush league :shakehead

Jazz

Raimo Sillanpää said:
ok, if its only the Canada Cup and no Olympics. Then can we finally have the Canada Cup played as a tournament in X country and the finals etc somewhere else than Canada?

It's not a true competition if 1 team always home advantage.
As much as I prefer the World Cup from a playing point of view (smaller ice especially), the Olympics serves hockey better from a global point of view, as it reaches more people.

But as an aside, Gretzky has been quoted as saying that if there is a future World Cup, it will start moving around (country-wise)

larsmark

Aug 30, 2005
Örnsköldsvik
Olympics > Canada Cup

Why should everything be played by your rules? And the stupid NHL reffing that exist in the "World Cup" is just silly. I've never seen such biased reffing as in the semi-finals last time.

Jazz

larsmark said:
Olympics > Canada Cup

Why should everything be played by your rules? And the stupid NHL reffing that exist in the "World Cup" is just silly. I've never seen such biased reffing as in the semi-finals last time.

Ok...let's see -

Olympics once every 4 years (IIHF rules)...
World Championships every year (IIHF rules)
WJC (U20) every year (IIHF rules)
World Cup - every 4 (or so) years (NHL rules)

So, we ask you to play by our 'rules' once every 4 years, and we play by 'your' rules 9 times in 4 years and you ask this question above??

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
Jazz said:
So, we ask you to play by our 'rules' once every 4 years, and we play by 'your' rules 9 times in 4 years and you ask this question above??
I don't think the Finns for instance want international tournaments to be played with Finnish league rules. They accept the international rules like everybody else (should).

Wisent

Nov 15, 2003
Mannheim
Visit site
Spungo said:
After 2010 that is.

Did you realize that there is a world outside of Northamerica? And might the thought even have occured to you that the olympics are important as well? Not to talk about the Northamericans that like the olympics as well. Seriously, I think that hockey is the only sport where such a thing is even discussed. And it is definitely not the only sport where such an interruption occurs.
Oh, and there is not only one worldcup, there are many.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad