Just curious who has seen a Penguins home game

Have Ever Been to A Penguins Home Game?

• Total voters

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Civic Arena - first game at some point in the early 70’s; only remember Eddie Shack skating around everyone with long hair flowing in the breeze. Countless games in between then and Mario’s first retirement when family gave up seats in C-23 at center ice. Only seen them live in Nashville since then.

MDR

Jun 8, 2013
Midlands, England
Went to Consol Energy centre in 2012 but missed Crosby due to his injury. My last game was Boston (watched 4 games) and Crosby returned the next game versus Rangers in New York from memory.

Now I have a family and house it's unlikely that I'll be able to afford another trip to see him play but I got to watch him train at least.

Reactions: Bnat66

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Saw the Pens beat the Avs in late '09 at the Civic Arena, then saw them lose to the Habs in January 2015 (Perron's first game as a Penguin).

Last edited:

JakeNBake59

WizardofFire
Feb 20, 2016
Crosby's back yard
game 5 of the Pens Rangers in 2014
They lost 5-1...
Did however have seats 3 rows from the glass and saw my favourite player Malkin score on the King. The image was also captured from the opposite side of the ice so you can see me getting up in celebration that it was in :laugh: Still my PC background and facebook cover pic

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
First game

Jan 1994 Vs Nordiques 3-0 pens.

Who were my 2nd favorite team, still wish they'd come back.

First playoff game

1995 Devils series... OT loss. Yuck.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
The War Memorial will always go down as one of the worst rinks I have ever played in. Golden Mile will always be my number one simply because the ice surface was just plain terrible. Then there was Rostraver Ice Gardens and their below freezing locker room temperatures hahahaha. I never really liked the Synergy sticks, I went with the TPS Response instead

The War Memorial had a loveable loser like character, like that 2 foot drop from the locker room runway to the ice. The Golden Garage and ICP were pretty terrible back in the 90s. My team's home rink was Belmont up in Kittaning which wasn't bad ice-wise but the locker rooms were terrible.

My favorite home games I've been to:

2017 - Kunitz game 7 winner in double OT.

2003 - Unimportant game against Atlanta in the X-Gen years, completely random except that it was my first date with my now wife. It was Mike Lange Talking Bobblehead Night

1996 - Pens vs Blues built up as another epic encounter of Lemieux vs Gretzky. Lemieux finishes with 5g and 2a in his first game since the premature birth of his son. I also distinctly remember Francois Leroux beating the ever loving hell out of Tony Twist.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
Went to many home games both at the Igloo then at Consol. Igloo since the early 80s, Consol while a partial season ticket holder.

Bumpus

Shhh ...
Mar 4, 2008
WV
The War Memorial had a loveable loser like character, like that 2 foot drop from the locker room runway to the ice. The Golden Garage and ICP were pretty terrible back in the 90s. My team's home rink was Belmont up in Kittaning which wasn't bad ice-wise but the locker rooms were terrible.

My favorite home games I've been to:

2017 - Kunitz game 7 winner in double OT.

2003 - Unimportant game against Atlanta in the X-Gen years, completely random except that it was my first date with my now wife. It was Mike Lange Talking Bobblehead Night

1996 - Pens vs Blues built up as another epic encounter of Lemieux vs Gretzky. Lemieux finishes with 5g and 2a in his first game since the premature birth of his son. I also distinctly remember Francois Leroux beating the ever loving hell out of Tony Twist.
:laugh: Yep, still got mine.

Damn, that was 15 years ago?!? Yep, I'm old.

Mordax

You make it hard
Sep 23, 2009
Victoria, BC
Went to a bunch of games at the Igloo growing up. Igloo highlight was definitely Game 4 of the 09 SCF though. After we lost the final in 08, I made a promise to myself to fly home if we ever made it back. My claim to fame was calling Staal's short handed goal to my buddy to tie it up. TK's tic-tac-toe goal was also a treat to see live.

I try to go to a game every time I'm home for Xmas, so I've been to the new stadium a handful of times now. Saw the Pens play the Canucks in Vancouver a few years back as well.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I love the War Memorial. Played there a lot growing up.

Went to a fair amount of Pens games during the late 90s. Got lots of Wendy’s chili!

I go to one game a year now on average at the paint can

GuinosWin71

Mar 18, 2008
Still something that is on my to do list before I die!!!
See them every game in Montreal, and I've seen them in Ottawa and Toronto
If Quebec gets a team will definitely go there as well

I would not only go to Pittsburgh, but a road trip to Tampa/Florida is also something I would love to do
Wife mentioned going back to Vegas, so I will plan that one :)

The Igloo was the only hockey venue I was familiar with until I moved to Florida. I had no idea how terrible the igloo was until I saw the penguins play down here against the lightning and the panthers.

I do make it up to Pittsburgh a couple times a year and try to catch at least one game at PPG, but I missed this year :(

I was fortunate enough to see this in person at PPG.

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
The Igloo was the only hockey venue I was familiar with until I moved to Florida. I had no idea how terrible the igloo was until I saw the penguins play down here against the lightning and the panthers.

I do make it up to Pittsburgh a couple times a year and try to catch at least one game at PPG, but I missed this year :(

I was fortunate enough to see this in person at PPG.

Haha, I was at that game. It was my first ever game in Pittsburgh and the first time I actually saw Sid play. He missed the game in Montreal at the start of the season and did not play in the WCoH Canada v USA warm up game in Ottawa. Not a bad showing that night :laugh:

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
I’ve seen countless games at both the old arena and new and playoff games in both. Nothing will ever beat a playoff game in the Igloo, the acoustics inside that dome were earth shattering. I’ve never experienced anything like it.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
I’ve seen countless games at both the old arena and new and playoff games in both. Nothing will ever beat a playoff game in the Igloo, the acoustics inside that dome were earth shattering. I’ve never experienced anything like it.

Yeah, have seen both, but the old Igloo was just awesome for the sound. My buddies and I were lucky enough to have bought tickets a while in advance for the game that Mario made his return from retirement against Toronto. I've never heard anything like it, the whole building shook when he came out.

They killed the Leafs, they all just skated around watching Mario all night.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
my first game was to see the hornets......parents had to drag me to see it. had no interest in seeing a bunch of bald men wearing shorts and knee socks ice skate. ......... after the game I dragged them to a sports store to buy a stick and puck. :)

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Yeah, have seen both, but the old Igloo was just awesome for the sound. My buddies and I were lucky enough to have bought tickets a while in advance for the game that Mario made his return from retirement against Toronto. I've never heard anything like it, the whole building shook when he came out.

They killed the Leafs, they all just skated around watching Mario all night.

My everlasting memory in the Igloo will be when Malkin did his break away Calder winning goal. I got to see many things before that but I feel even before this era really started that was the moment Pens fans looked at each of and flat out knew things were turning a corner.

Whale Mingo

Nov 18, 2012
I have been more fortunate than I deserve. I saw one of the very few time Lemieux and Gretzky shared the ice at the (then) Civic Arena. I got to see a lot at that old building from Lemieux playing to the 09 Game 6 against Detroit that led us to the Cup in Game 7.

I've seen the Prince of Wales trophy carried off the ice at Consol/PPG twice including that double OT Game 7 against Ottawa. I've seen a Finals game at PPG and even went to the watch party for the Cup winning game last year.

My favorites are the "handshake" games (See ya Rags, Lightning, Sens, etc....)

I was lucky enough to be at Game 7 in Detroit in 09 as well.

Like I said, I've been more fortunate than I deserve to be.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

gopens66

Hop in the Cordoba, Baby, we're goin' bowlin!
May 25, 2006
Altoona,Pa
I started going to games in '93 when I was in college and had a car and would drive from State College with buddies to see games. I took my girlfriend, now wife, to her first game with all her brothers and Mario had a hat trick against the Panthers and the Pens were crushing them so hard she felt bad and started rooting for Fla. I've taken all three of my sons to games. My oldest got to see Mario and Sid together on my birthday when Sid won the first ever shootout in Pittsburgh against Montreal. We had seats against the glass and next to the Pens' tunnel.
I've been to a handful of games at the paint can, it's nice and shiny and necessary, but the Civic Arena had such a better "hockey vibe" to it. It was much louder for certain. The older guys here know what I'm talking about.

kladorf2005

Apr 20, 2018
Only been to three. Last one was in 2010 against the Rangers. Boring, 1-0 game for about 57 minutes. Then Pens score twice within a minute to got up 2-1. Place was electric. Lundqvist broke his stick in frustration after the second goal and took an unsportsmanlike penalty, essentially securing the W for the good guys... 30 seconds later, we give up a shortie and proceed to lose in OT. FML.

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa
None. Went to a few games in Montreal growing up; now that I'm in Ottawa I usually catch the games here. (Much cheaper than Montreal.) I've been meaning to do a road-trip to Pittsburgh, but haven't gotten around to it.

Lived in Hamilton for a while, and should have made the trip at the time, as they are relatively close. I must've been the only Penguins fan at the time who was hoping Balsillie would buy and move the team! :laugh:

Grandma Bingo

May 14, 2013
have you been to the Igoo, PPG/Paints/Consol/Energy center, both or never been to a home game?
First game at the igloo was in 1975 against the North Stars. It was "stick night". I was 8 years old.

Been to countless games since, in both arenas. Have also seen the Pens live in Columbus, DC, Minneapolis, and Detroit.

On Edit... yes... The Penguins and myself were both born in 1967.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad