Just Built My Own Rink

Hank19

Apr 11, 2005
LOL. Seinfeld?:D

LOL. Yup!

Regarding the helmets, I let my kid wear only a toque as well. There are days where it's just too cold for only a helmet. My wife gives me a hard time about this though. She's a bit of a worry-wart. ;)

javorka

Sep 9, 2006
LOL. Yup!

Regarding the helmets, I let my kid wear only a toque as well. There are days where it's just too cold for only a helmet. My wife gives me a hard time about this though. She's a bit of a worry-wart. ;)

For those days when it's too cold here, our boys either wear ear bands under their helmets, or put toques over top. Not very stylish, but effective. :)
And hey, I'll bet your wife doesn't want the kids running with scissors, either! ;)

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Too cold with just a helmet? Get a thinner toque on the kid!
Make them wear helmets. It's something you just don't want to risk. Why risk your kid's health?

Hank19

Apr 11, 2005
For those days when it's too cold here, our boys either wear ear bands under their helmets, or put toques over top. Not very stylish, but effective. :)
And hey, I'll bet your wife doesn't want the kids running with scissors, either! ;)

Tell me about it!!! :)

I'd have my kid wear a toque under his helmet but he's got a very large head and his current helmet barely fits now at the largest size.

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico
Tell me about it!!! :)

I'd have my kid wear a toque under his helmet but he's got a very large head and his current helmet barely fits now at the largest size.

Hehe, that's like me.

I have a giant melon. I wear a skull cap underneath sometimes if its a coooold rink...but otherwise Im stuck since my head is shaped like a baseketball.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
How are the rinks doing?

Anyone got any ice left? I can't believe I had good ice in the last week but I did...at times... because of the recent cold spell. But the sun is a real killer right now even when it stays below zero (celsius) through the day. I lose less ice if it goes +6 but stays overcast. A cold night can make up for it.

I imagine out west, Canada and northern states, it is still OK. I'm in Nova Scotia (close to 45th parallel), inland just far enough to avoid some of the local coastal warming effect, but not all of it.

Some of the tarp is exposed, elsewhere I have up to 3" ice over a couple of inches of water (4" to 5" of "unlevelness" over an 18' X36' rink). Nothing I could skate on but one or two 70 pound kids are OK if they avoid certain parts. I'm taking another kick at the cat tonight if it gets cold enough to water lightly a few times. Half, it's a challenge just to hang onto the ice and half my 9 year old wants to skate.

Anyone else still got ice?

Last edited:

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Noone else has ice?

I know someone out west is thinking "what the heck, it's not even April yet, why would I even reply to this" but this is Nova Scotia and if the current forecast holds we can claim skateable natural (watered rink in this case) ice on the first of April without it being an April Fool's joke.

I bet no one else closer to the equator than the North Pole (we are slightly below the 45th parallel) can claim natural backyard rink ice this late. (OK, maybe I'm just trying to goad someone into posting, but that is still pretty good-I want to know what conditions allowed them to still have ice).

BogsDiamond

Anybody get 2 U yet?
Mar 16, 2008
Noone else has ice?

I know someone out west is thinking "what the heck, it's not even April yet, why would I even reply to this" but this is Nova Scotia and if the current forecast holds we can claim skateable natural (watered rink in this case) ice on the first of April without it being an April Fool's joke.

I bet no one else closer to the equator than the North Pole (we are slightly below the 45th parallel) can claim natural backyard rink ice this late. (OK, maybe I'm just trying to goad someone into posting, but that is still pretty good-I want to know what conditions allowed them to still have ice).

Nope, mine's all done. The last 'heat-wave' decimated it.
But I live in Southwestern Ontario where the average winter temp is around 0 or higher. I was lucky to have 4 weeks of skating this year.

javorka

Sep 9, 2006
Our ice has been gone for a couple weeks already. Well, not gone, but not useable anymore. We've got indoor rinks with ice all summer long, though, so the kids can still put on the blades whenever they want.....

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Our ice has been gone for a couple weeks already. Well, not gone, but not useable anymore. We've got indoor rinks with ice all summer long, though, so the kids can still put on the blades whenever they want.....

You got what?:D

Is this personal ice or an unlimited bankroll for rental ice?

javorka

Sep 9, 2006
You got what?:D

Is this personal ice or an unlimited bankroll for rental ice?

:loony: Sorry, I wasn't very clear - the backyard ice is pretty much gone, but there are several public rinks around here that keep their ice in all year long. So no, the kids can't go exactly whenever they want, but they can go any time there's public skating. Ah, but if I had an unlimited bankroll a private indoor rink would sure make my husband and kids happy!

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
:loony: Sorry, I wasn't very clear - the backyard ice is pretty much gone, but there are several public rinks around here that keep their ice in all year long. So no, the kids can't go exactly whenever they want, but they can go any time there's public skating. Ah, but if I had an unlimited bankroll a private indoor rink would sure make my husband and kids happy!

No problem. Thanks for the reply. I'm holding out hope for skating on April 1. Kind of a reverse April fools joke if we make it. Maybe I will claim I made it Tuesday morning either way and no one will know whether I'm kidding. 3 kids are skating as we speak but certain parts are heading toward mush. I will have to call it a day very soon.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
No problem. Thanks for the reply. I'm holding out hope for skating on April 1. Kind of a reverse April fools joke if we make it. Maybe I will claim I made it Tuesday morning either way and no one will know whether I'm kidding. 3 kids are skating as we speak but certain parts are heading toward mush. I will have to call it a day very soon.

Doesn't look good:

snow overnight at around 0 and now light drizzle. On a bet it could have been skated on, probably even reasonably after midnight to 3 am going by the forecast which also calls for it to go +9 today and doesn't hold much promise for the rest of the week.

Yesterday was good though. he had the whole ice for 4 1/2 hours (no school) starting at 7 am before it warmed up too much.

But that's probably it for the year.

ean

Nov 27, 2007
Bump for this year...come on guys, give us warm weather folks something to drool over!

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Bump for this year...come on guys, give us warm weather folks something to drool over!

Put the tarp down last week and filled her up minimum 3", up to 9" in spots, had less than an inch after a coldish then warm cycle.

Cold night last night (-12 C), I could test stand, not walk, on the rink this morning. One more cold night and a few waterings and it can probably be skated on by a kid, maybe two, as long as they spread out.

Alfredsson11

Nov 11, 2008
Put the tarp down last week and filled her up minimum 3", up to 9" in spots, had less than an inch after a coldish then warm cycle.

Cold night last night (-12 C), I could test stand, not walk, on the rink this morning. One more cold night and a few waterings and it can probably be skated on by a kid, maybe two, as long as they spread out.

I think you are putting too much water on at once.

I use to find more, quick floods to be better, as you don't get that shell ice

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
I think you are putting too much water on at once.

I use to find more, quick floods to be better, as you don't get that shell ice

The 3" minimum is just to clamp down the tarp, as I fill it up I walk down the parts of the tarp that float up, and eventually it stays put.

I try not to put more than about 1 mm on at a time otherwise, depending on temperature.

You definitely can build up the thickness faster from multiple floods on the top, than relying on ice growth from underneath, as the exposed flood freezes much faster.

Very important to get it to and past the point it can be walked on, until then it is at a critical stage. Any amount of snow will sink it somewhat, and it is difficult to get off if you can't get on to shovel it. If you leave it, you might be Ok, but any amount on top will insulate what's underneath, and delay the slush layer from freezing.

It will take a while before the 3" will freeze (by then it will have another inch or so on top), and even longer for the deeper areas, but in the mean time the kids will be skating if all goes well.

In the spring it will reverse and they will skate on the floating ice. At times I will drain it somewhat from underneath by syphoning some off.

Last edited:

HoverCarle*

me and my friends are going to try and make a rink on a pond by my friends house

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad