OT: Just booked trip to Vancouver....

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
check out richmond if you want. They have fun escape games, and the night market is quite fun. I'm sure they don't have that where you are from. Put your bargaining skills at work and good snacks there.
Dont drive.

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
I'm going to be in Vancouver from the 4th to 6th any suggestions?

What's whale watching like this time of year? What's the likelihood of seeing them and what's a good company for a decent price?

Last edited:

CurtisLoew

Dec 24, 2003

What's whale watching like this time of year? What's the likelihood of seeing them and what's a good company for a decent price?

Watch whales on BBC's Planet Earth and take in the scenes in Vancouver instead!

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
thanks guys --- your mods should sticky this so you dont have to answer the same questions all the time

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
check out richmond if you want. They have fun escape games, and the night market is quite fun. I'm sure they don't have that where you are from. Put your bargaining skills at work and good snacks there.

What does that mean?

Lawzy

May 27, 2011
BC
What does that mean?

They're referring to escape rooms. An escape room is a puzzle-based adventure game where the goal is to get out of a room using logical reasoning (essentially a nicer version of Saw).

The Richmond Night Market is a huge collection of stores alongside the water in Richmond. They're all set up under small (~20''x20'') tents so you can walk through the market and check out all the gadgets/food/games available.

Honda Celebration of Lights is August 5th. It's a firework competition held yearly where certain countries try and perform the best fireworks show for a crowd. Team Canada is doing the 5th.

-------------------------------

@OP: I would suggest heading out towards the University of British Columbia. Along the way you can stop at Kitsilano Beach. UBC is a beautiful campus and has the Beaty Museum of Biodiversity and the Museum of Anthropology (both quite cheap). Their Botanical Gardens are also quite nice, especially if it's sunny out.

If you're a fan of craft beer, the Lower Mainland is a great place to be. There are tons of breweries around town but I'll give a special shout out to Brewers Row in Port Moody (as it's my home town). Not too far out of town and easily accessible by SkyTrain. It's 4 local breweries on one street across from a beautiful park looking over Burrard Inlet. They're usually open until 11pm and have a relaxing and friendly atmosphere. They do tend to get a bit busy but I've never been turned away from all 4. Additionally, if you're into hiking the surrounding Belcarra/Anmore area is excellent for trails. That being said they aren't nearly as accessible by bus (although they can still be accessed by bus).

Last edited:

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Second the night market in Richmond, gotta try the fish balls and bubble waffle.

Some places that I don't know if mentioned:

- Dining at Cactus at Canada Place/Olympic Torch - Gretzky ran from BC Place (by Rogers) to there with a torch, you can make the walk - go Robson to Granville then along Granville to the walkway and ask people directions the last few blocks

On the North Shore:

- can take the seabus from downtown over to Lonsdale Quay on the North Shore

- consider checking out the Lynn Canyon suspension bridge, or head up Lynn Canyon headwaters

- take a drive up Cypress or Seymour Mountain

- check out Deep Cove

- if clear weather, consider Squamish Sea-to-Sky Gondola or at least get up to the top of Grouse Mountain on their gondola (or take the Grind if you want to hike 2,900 feet elevation gain over 2.9km.

Mount Pleasant

If you like sushi and incredibly time-consuming lineups, Toshi's is the place on 16th Avenue just west of Main Street. Check out East is East near 27th Avenue or the Vietnamese Pho place on Main at 18th - has been taken over by the kids, and is a must-visit, now more Vietnamese fusion, pricier. Also check out Hillcrest community centre

Should be able to get tix to the game, if not go to the Black Frog Eatery early before it fills, will meet lots of Oilers fans.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Cousin came up from Cali with his family for the first time on Sunday night...

His itinerary today:
got up and everyone ready and fed and out of the house by 10:30.. went to Science world.. out of there by 1, went for lunch, at Stanley Park at the moment, then plans on jumping on the skytrain and taking the ferry to lonsdale quay... then meet up with some family for dinner and back to my place for a nightcap.
I'm stuck at work today tho.
But took tomorrow off and planning a lazy day at Crescent Beach.

He's been just so fascinated with how green everything is here.. I take that for granted all the time.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
They're referring to escape rooms. An escape room is a puzzle-based adventure game where the goal is to get out of a room using logical reasoning (essentially a nicer version of Saw).

The Richmond Night Market is a huge collection of stores alongside the water in Richmond. They're all set up under small (~20''x20'') tents so you can walk through the market and check out all the gadgets/food/games available.

Ahh!! Good to know -- Thanks!!

(still have memories of that reverse bear trap, so perhaps Ill opt out of that one!)

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Ahh!! Good to know -- Thanks!!

(still have memories of that reverse bear trap, so perhaps Ill opt out of that one!)

Wait wait, if your by yourself don't do the escape games. You need at least 3 players.

Come swing by play land too. there are also indoor rock climbing near Rogers arena,
Go by Mario gelatos. 101 ice cream flavours place is packed. That's like 10 minutes driving from Rogers arena.

Lawzy

May 27, 2011
BC
Wait wait, if your by yourself don't do the escape games. You need at least 3 players.

Come swing by play land too. there are also indoor rock climbing near Rogers arena,
Go by Mario gelatos. 101 ice cream flavours place is packed. That's like 10 minutes driving from Rogers arena.

Playland closes September 17th, a few weeks shy of when (s)he'll be in town.

If you're a nature person, check out VanDusen Botanical Gardens and the Bloedel Conservatory.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Playland closes September 17th, a few weeks shy of when (s)he'll be in town.

If you're a nature person, check out VanDusen Botanical Gardens and the Bloedel Conservatory.

It reopens for the Halloween stuff I believe.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Any special place (s) to go for killer sushi/seafood?

And where is da live music scene? Blues/jazz stuff..

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Any special place (s) to go for killer sushi/seafood?

And where is da live music scene? Blues/jazz stuff..

Sushi is everywhere. Joe fortes has quite good seafood.

Da live music scene is non existent. This is no fun Vancouver not Montreal

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
I haven't been, but I believe Frankie's Jazz Club has live music most nights. It's two blocks from Rogers Arena.

Guilt & Co and Revel Room in Gastown occasionally have live Jazz/ Blues.

For high end sushi and seafood I like Blue Water Cafe and Minami (or the affiliated Miku). If you are simply looking for sushi, then Maumi is hard to beat, but make yourself aware of their strict rules before you go.

For mid range Japanese food and sushi Aki is good. Sushi Itoga is a popular sushi bar.

Rodney's, Joe Fortes, Fanny Bay, and Oyster Express are all good for fresh shucked oysters.

Go Fish for fish and chips if you're at Granville Island.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I haven't been, but I believe Frankie's Jazz Club has live music most nights. It's two blocks from Rogers Arena.

Guilt & Co and Revel Room in Gastown occasionally have live Jazz/ Blues.

For high end sushi and seafood I like Blue Water Cafe and Minami (or the affiliated Miku). If you are simply looking for sushi, then Maumi is hard to beat, but make yourself aware of their strict rules before you go.

For mid range Japanese food and sushi Aki is good. Sushi Itoga is a popular sushi bar.

Rodney's, Joe Fortes, Fanny Bay, and Oyster Express are all good for fresh shucked oysters.

Go Fish for fish and chips if you're at Granville Island.
^great high end places..

A favorite hole in the wall Sushi joint i was Very happy with was Yamato Sushi on Davies street. Solid servings and good good value.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Thank you boys...

6-Dead-Poets-Society-quotes.gif

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
ok -- last question!! ( I think!)

My trip is coming up --- I realized..that my Isles are playing their season and home openers the weekend that Im in Vancouver.

Where is my best chance to catch an out of town NHL game? Its east coast -- so its a 4pm start time on Friday and Sat nights I believe.

If anyone sees me in an Isles jersey at the Canucks home opener, feel free to buy me a beer! :)

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
ok -- last question!! ( I think!)

My trip is coming up --- I realized..that my Isles are playing their season and home openers the weekend that Im in Vancouver.

Where is my best chance to catch an out of town NHL game? Its east coast -- so its a 4pm start time on Friday and Sat nights I believe.

If anyone sees me in an Isles jersey at the Canucks home opener, feel free to buy me a beer! :)

Go to any sports bar, and ask to have the game put on a certain tv. There shouldn't be much issue if a place has a few monitors.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad