Just an idea like that

MarcPiquesFan

Oct 12, 2009
Hull
Canada will face Norway tonight, I think we all already know who'll win, so I'm wondering why this type of games have to be play. I mean, why put a team in this competition when you already know they'll finish last, with 5 blow up loses...

Instead, why they don't just make a team, sorta kind like "The Best of The Rest", which the best players from all the other countries not participating at the tournament. I mean, some players like Nicklas D. Jensen are probably way better than the Norway's best forward and they can't play because their country isn't strong enough. It's not fair for some great prospect that can't benefit from an incredible experience and also a competition to be see by the scouts.

What do they have to lose? It can't be worse than a 10-0 blow up...

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Ehh...this happens because you have teams promoted and relegated each year. Hockey is a sport that's only big in four or five countries, so there is bound to be a huge difference. Unless you do away with the promotion/relegation bit and only have the same six or so teams every year this will be the way it is.

Also, for a team like Norway it's a great learning experience playing the very best there is. Getting thrashed by Canada and Sweden will only teach them how far they have to go if they want to make it as hockey players.

As for you other idea, why would such players even consider that? They want to play for their country! And are there really enough talented players from other nations to make up a competetive team? Nope. If they want more competition - field three Canadian teams instead!

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
This is international competition, not some random allstar game. Creating a "best of the rest" team would be a joke.

These players represent their country, it's an honor for them to play for their country, and it doesn't matter one bit whether they will get destroyed by better teams. They will do their best to succeed, they deserve to be there by beating out the competition in the past, and occasionally they can even upset a big nation. Sports would get very boring if all you cared about was the favorite not having to play lesser opponents.

Besides, you could find quite a few Canadian and US-players who are better than what the next few teams have to offer, they can't play in this tournament either, so why should anyone care that Jensen can't play in this tournament?
If you want to represent your country in this tournament, play well enough to guarantee that you country will be there. Denmark had the chance last year and couldn't beat out Germany, tough luck.

The U20 tournament doesn't exist so all the best prospects in the world can play against each other, they exist as competition between countries on junior level.

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
Canada will face Norway tonight, I think we all already know who'll win, so I'm wondering why this type of games have to be play. I mean, why put a team in this competition when you already know they'll finish last, with 5 blow up loses...

Instead, why they don't just make a team, sorta kind like "The Best of The Rest", which the best players from all the other countries not participating at the tournament. I mean, some players like Nicklas D. Jensen are probably way better than the Norway's best forward and they can't play because their country isn't strong enough. It's not fair for some great prospect that can't benefit from an incredible experience and also a competition to be see by the scouts.

Its a international tournemant if you have a mixed team it would become a joke.

puck swami

Apr 29, 2004
It's a huge honor to play for your country.

Look at the Olympic Games - 95% of the athletes at any Olympic Games are not medal contenders in their respective sports. Does that make their participation any less legitimate? Of course not. It's about the experience, and taking part in it. They'll tell their grandkids about their trip to Buffalo back in '10.

Those Norwegian hockey players are getting the hockey experience of a lifetime. They are travelling to a new country, playing before bigger crowds than they've ever played for before. They are also signing some autographs, meeting a few puck bunnies, and getting on TV while wearing their home uniform. They are also getting exposed to the elite of the hockey world. I am sure the players would like better results on the ice, but losing games to better competition does not mean you won't have a good time.

Ask any Olympian about what it was like to walk into the Olympic stadium, and most will tell you it was the greatest thrill of a lifetime to be among the best in the world.

I'm sure these players from non-medal threat countries are still having a great time.

wickedwitch

Mar 21, 2010
I agree with what everyone else wrote. And because occasionally these games that look extremely lopsided on paper look a lot different out on the ice.

member 30781

It's a huge honor to play for your country.

Look at the Olympic Games - 95% of the athletes at any Olympic Games are not medal contenders in their respective sports. Does that make their participation any less legitimate? Of course not. It's about the experience, and taking part in it. They'll tell their grandkids about their trip to Buffalo back in '10.

Those Norwegian hockey players are getting the hockey experience of a lifetime. They are travelling to a new country, playing before bigger crowds than they've ever played for before. They are also signing some autographs, meeting a few puck bunnies, and getting on TV while wearing their home uniform. They are also getting exposed to the elite of the hockey world. I am sure the players would like better results on the ice, but losing games to better competition does not mean you won't have a good time.

Ask any Olympian about what it was like to walk into the Olympic stadium, and most will tell you it was the greatest thrill of a lifetime to be among the best in the world.

I'm sure these players from non-medal threat countries are still having a great time.

This 100%

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto

I asked the same question in 1980 at Lake Placid. We knew the Russians would pound the U.S. Why bother playing?

Talk about compromising the entegrity of the tournament. Yikes! There's going to be mismatches in any tournament you play.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
and we all knew how Belarus - Sweden would end in the 2002 olympics aswell..

The player who finished the swedish dream played on a swedish tier3 team ffs :S

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Yeah, and then lets put Kopitar, Fedotenko and Ponikarovsky in Slovakia so they can play in the A group when it's time for the World Championship.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Yeah, and then lets put Kopitar, Fedotenko and Ponikarovsky in Slovakia so they can play in the A group when it's time for the World Championship.

Don´t the Russians get them as the biggest "Slavic" country in the tourney? And the Czechs should be ahead of us on the waiting list as well. Then we can take whatever the Russians/Czechs don´t want- so basically everyone not named Kopitar? :sarcasm:

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
hmm, had a think about it.

Imagine:
- Canada
- USA
- Sweden
- Finland
- Russia
- Latvia+Belarus+Ukraine+Poland
- Czechslovakia
- Germany+Switzerland+Austria
- France+Spain+England+Portugal+Italy
- Belgium+Netherlands+Denmark+Norway

the state of hockey in the world would be much better if these countries all just combined. That would be a good 10-team tournament to watch.

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
hmm, had a think about it.

Imagine:
- Canada
- USA
- Sweden
- Finland
- Russia
- Latvia+Belarus+Ukraine+Poland
- Czechslovakia
- Germany+Switzerland+Austria
- France+Spain+England+Portugal+Italy
- Belgium+Netherlands+Denmark+Norway

the state of hockey in the world would be much better if these countries all just combined. That would be a good 10-team tournament to watch.
It makes me want to puke.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad