Just a thought.....

Breeze 44

Jan 20, 2007
South Jersey
We have players that can't play our so-called system ( go..go..go..faster,faster, faster) and we can't trade them because they look god awful in this system, why not change THE SYSTEM. It's not like Berube has some left wing lock or anything remotely sophisticated other than play harder or play faster. Is Vinny that much slower or worse all of a sudden than some of the other older guys still producing in this league, my answer is no, he's not but he can't play this system that has produced what exactly for us? Maybe our defense would look alittle better with a different system, and it's not just Vinny but you can have speed and solid players play winning hockey without the need to skate like your hairs on fire for a complete season only to be burned out come play-offs.

You need to only look across the street to Chip Kelly to know that a coach has to adapt a system to his personel.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
We have players that can't play our so-called system ( go..go..go..faster,faster, faster) and we can't trade them because they look god awful in this system, why not change THE SYSTEM. It's not like Berube has some left wing lock or anything remotely sophisticated other than play harder or play faster. Is Vinny that much slower or worse all of a sudden than some of the other older guys still producing in this league, my answer is no, he's not but he can't play this system that has produced what exactly for us? Maybe our defense would look alittle better with a different system, and it's not just Vinny but you can have speed and solid players play winning hockey without the need to skate like your hairs on fire for a complete season only to be burned out come play-offs.

You need to only look across the street to Chip Kelly to know that a coach has to adapt a system to his personel.

Berube was promoted because of his system.

Coaches don't really change systems, it's the implementation of players.

Chip Kelly hasn't changed much of his system, he's still running shotgun and spread offenses with a shoehorned quaterbacks who don't suit it but have made it work. They're also running a 3-4 defense with a number of Andy Reid's leftovers.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
It was the same thing with Lavy. You can't ask a coach to change a philosophy he's believed in his entire career. You can give him the necessary players and hope that it's a winning formula, but you can't make a coach do a 180 on his style. Tortorella tried it in NY and Vancouver, and all it did was get him fired and run out of the league.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
I do agree in that it appears to be square peg, round hole with some players but this team looked a hell of a lot better last season with almost the same identical squad. What happened? Is this system finally failing or is it on the players?

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia
Losing Timonen was a huge blow.

A number one D is the most important position on a team (I feel like this is a theme), and even at his age, he was our number one.

gto64dr

Jan 15, 2012
It seems fond memories cloud the past. Timmonens best days were long behind him last year. He had slowed and was prone to turnovers. Zuccarillo outmuscled him several times in the Rangers playoff series. No, it is Berube's system that doesn't work. What we're seeing is the fading of Lavy's system by a coach that can't pull it off.

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia
It seems fond memories cloud the past. Timmonens best days were long behind him last year. He had slowed and was prone to turnovers. Zuccarillo outmuscled him several times in the Rangers playoff series. No, it is Berube's system that doesn't work. What we're seeing is the fading of Lavy's system by a coach that can't pull it off.

I can't check now because I'm on my phone, but in pretty sure his possession numbers last year were very good.

And I'm not saying he was the same Timonen we had seen in the past - he was clearly worn out at times during the season (although he played great some nights too) - just that he was still our number one.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
It was the same thing with Lavy. You can't ask a coach to change a philosophy he's believed in his entire career. You can give him the necessary players and hope that it's a winning formula, but you can't make a coach do a 180 on his style. Tortorella tried it in NY and Vancouver, and all it did was get him fired and run out of the league.

Hitchcock has seemed to have done it in St. Louis. He's changed his philosophy quite a bit and he's really started relying heavily on the young guys there and they've flourished. He's also not barking defense defense defense at them the way he used to here. It's possible for coaches to change their philosophy. They just need to step back and realize that what they're doing isn't working, which is exactly what Hitch did when he took the job in St. Louis.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I will always hate Hitch for his favoritism towards vets and us losing players like Sharp and Seidenberg....but the most egregious was his constant jerky benchings of Williams. The only guy who overcame his jerkiness was Gagne. Gagne even said it was hard and it takes a certain personality. I know Richards wasn't too fond of him.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Hitchcock has seemed to have done it in St. Louis. He's changed his philosophy quite a bit and he's really started relying heavily on the young guys there and they've flourished. He's also not barking defense defense defense at them the way he used to here. It's possible for coaches to change their philosophy. They just need to step back and realize that what they're doing isn't working, which is exactly what Hitch did when he took the job in St. Louis.

Hitch is still primarily a defensive coach though. He just has a bunch of gamebreakers now. Hitch hasn't pulled a Tortorella or Lavy-like transformation where he's done a 180 on his style.

I'm not sure what Berube is even doing with this team anymore. When he first got the job, he preached possession and pressuring the puck in all three zones. It seemed similar to what Julien is doing up in Boston. But this year, it's almost the exact opposite. They've played noticeably more passive. Very little back pressure in the neutral zone. Bad lane/zone discipline. They often only send one guy in on the forecheck. It's going to be tough to establish any sort of possession time when you're playing that way. I also wouldn't be surprised if they're one of the worst teams in the league in terms of zone entries.

Is it the players? I don't know. Maybe they've given up on him and aren't playing his system. Is it the coach? I wouldn't put it past him considering it's the same coach that felt the need to reinvent a penalty killing unit that was tops in the league last year.

Breeze 44

Jan 20, 2007
South Jersey
I will always hate Hitch for his favoritism towards vets and us losing players like Sharp and Seidenberg....but the most egregious was his constant jerky benchings of Williams. The only guy who overcame his jerkiness was Gagne. Gagne even said it was hard and it takes a certain personality. I know Richards wasn't too fond of him.

And that's one of my fears for this team is we're going to give up on someone far to early because they don't fit Berube's "scheme". I feel part of a coaches job is his ability to get the best out of his players and know what is right for the team...not his ego. His random scratches of some players has me scratching my head like I got fleas. I wanted to give him a chance but I feel like I have and he's failed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad