Waived: Jussi Jokinen for buy-out

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Last off-season Florida moved a 2nd round pick to unload Marc Savard to create cap space that they never used.

This sure seems like another brilliant move along the same lines.

In real dollars the Panthers are already coming out negative. They're paying Jokinen 2.66M not to play for them but his replacement will cost more than 1.34M.

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005
luongo to develop skin disorder soon? or can he play wing?

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Wasn't Jokinen hot shait just a year or so ago??

This previous season, before that he was a 60 point player for them.
I gotta ask, who in the **** are the Panthers targeting? This group of free agents are terrible when it comes to finding quality scoring forwards. Do they have some prospects they wanna test?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
This previous season, before that he was a 60 point player for them.
I gotta ask, who in the **** are the Panthers targeting? This group of free agents are terrible when it comes to finding quality scoring forwards. Do they have some prospects they wanna test?

I'm going Radulov+ Dadonov, but just 2 won't be enough, not even close.

They have prospects but they shouldn't be in the NHL yet.

DrMom9900

Nov 2, 2011
Maybe they think Tippett is NHL ready and have plans for him in a top 9 W position?

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Wasn't Jokinen hot shait just a year or so ago??

Juice seems to play himself out of every team.

In Dallas it was the 3rd year (to be fair he wasn't bad, but also didn't improve), in Tampa he played well after a trade but the season after got traded again, in Carolina it was the 4th year, and in Florida ended up being the 3rd year.

I'd give Jussi a 1 yr deal because he's shown to step up when motivated, but anything longer especially at the age of 34 is out of the question.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Ok, I understand. Jokinen didn't have a good season.

But heck, he's still a player. He can at least fill a third line role decently enough. He only had a year left on his contract. If you want to get rid of him, I'm sure someone would have offered something for him, especially if you offer to retain salary(Which you are effectively doing when buying him out, anyway). He's scored 60 points in the not-so-distant past and I'm sure some teams would have liked to take a chance with him.

hagelin1381

Mar 27, 2016
Orlando, FL
Exactly. This is the story of his career.

Year 1: "OMG we stole this guy!!!"
Year 2: "Hoping he can continue to be a part of our long term plans"
Year 3: "He'll do until we find a better option"
Year 4: [this page intentionally left blank]

Loved him in Pittsburgh. Sucks he priced himself out of town.. Maybe he could come back on a cheap deal?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad