Friedman: Jurco and Duclair out there

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
People acting like Duclair has no value or something...he had a 20 goal, 44 point season in the NHL at age 20. Only 22, Chicago would be stupid to sell low on him. He didn't just lose his talent..

He's worth a 2nd and if im Chicago I wouldn't take a 2nd for him...you'd be lucky to get a prospect as good as Duclair in round 2.

That's great that he hit 20 but his last two seasons he has 16 goals combined.

He will now have to pass through waivers and is dropping in value is passing season.

There's plenty of players who had a great 1st or 2nd season and were never able to replicate it.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
And I just posted:

Byron
Carr(RFA)
2nd rounder(CHI/39)

For

1st(27)
Duclair(RFA)

Hawks fans saying they wouldn’t trade Duclair straight up for Byron.

He’s a 20-20 guy. I find this is a very fair offer. Especially if the asking price is a 4th for Duclair.

Gives the Hawks a 20-20 guy, who can play positions up front. Can PK with the best of them and has wheels. Right in line with help they need for cheap at 1.1mill especially since the Hawks will be strapped for cash.

Byron isnt worth dropping in the draft meanwhile Carr is a nobody

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Your expectations of Sam Bennett--a player who has consistently struggled to produce offense in this league--are on par with a player who was a perennial Selke-candidate during his prime playing years. That may be a tad ambitious.

What does the Selke have to do with offense?

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Maybe the Devils would be interested in swapping a local Illinois guy in Nick Lappin for either one?

More likely Jurco for Lappin, but I wouldn't hate it. Give both guys another opportunity somewhere else.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Hawks should just keep both.

Re-sign Jurco below a million. If he steals a spot out of training camp, good for him. He has played pretty well at times (well enough to be on the 4th line). Unfortunately he's had more bad than good, but we won't get anything for trading him so let's roll the dice on him. Worst thing that happens is he winds up back in the AHL.

Duclair, on the other hand, should certainly be re-signed provided we don't try to sign someone like Tavares. If the Hawks don't make a big splash this offseason, we'll have a ton of cap space. Duclair won't get more than $2m for a year. If he figures it out (he's only 22 ATM), then we'll gladly re-sign him again in a year (provided we still have the cap space). If he doesn't, who cares, we had the cap space to give it a try.

Reactions: iSophagus

Daisy Ridley

Feb 28, 2018
I know Duclair wasn’t a high pick but still disappointing. I remember the hype when he came to AZ. Him and Domi were supposed to be top 6 guys for the Yotes.

Toby Reider who was traded to LA, left the same bad taste in my mouth, wanting more from them than what they contributed to the team.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Pending them receiving qualifying offers, both are scheduled to become RFA's and have no cap yet for next season.

Duclair is coming off a $1.2M cap hit, and Jurco was at $800k. Duclair needs a $1.2M and Jurco a $840k qualifier to become an RFA. Both are arbitration eligible.

==

My guess is the Hawks only want to bring them back if they sign cheaper than their QO's, like they did with Jurco last Spring (required $945k QO, but signed a 1-year for $800k).

I'm betting Jurco doesn't want to do that again and would rather take the slight raise on his QO or hit the UFA market and find a better shot at a regular NHL gig, or sign a KHL deal with an NHL out clause while he looks for a better NHL opportunity. Considering every other team said no to an $800k Jurco on waivers last season, I doubt his potential RFA rights have any value. Maybe a conditional pick.

As for Duclair, given he's still only 22, he probably gets the QO, but I'm guessing the Hawks don't want it to get to arbitration. His rights as an RFA would probably still have some value, but probably not as much as Chicago paid to get him.

They're probably better off getting Duclair signed for as cheap as possible and giving him another year to sort it out.

i would give up a 3rd and 4th for both

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Hawks should just keep both.

Re-sign Jurco below a million. If he steals a spot out of training camp, good for him. He has played pretty well at times (well enough to be on the 4th line). Unfortunately he's had more bad than good, but we won't get anything for trading him so let's roll the dice on him. Worst thing that happens is he winds up back in the AHL.

Duclair, on the other hand, should certainly be re-signed provided we don't try to sign someone like Tavares. If the Hawks don't make a big splash this offseason, we'll have a ton of cap space. Duclair won't get more than $2m for a year. If he figures it out (he's only 22 ATM), then we'll gladly re-sign him again in a year (provided we still have the cap space). If he doesn't, who cares, we had the cap space to give it a try.

I agree with you on Duclair. Why trade him when the team needs scoring? If he finds his game, then you have a serious contributor on a team that's relied too heavily on their top guys.

Chicago doesn't get any benefit from trading Duclair for a 3rd rounder, or whatever pick you think he might get. They don't need to move him for cap space, they don't have a bunch of other players pushing him out of the lineup, and they want to improve on the ice next season not in 3 years when a drafted prospect might help.

No motive to make a Duclair trade. So why bother? Spend the tiny amount of money to bring back an RFA with scoring potential to take the open roster spot. It's a no brainer.

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

steveayres35

Apr 27, 2018
I would pay a late round pick for Duclair and stick him on the Marlies for a year or 2 to try and bring back some confidence.
At least the Marlies are playoff team, that could be the answer for his confidence & development.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Why tho? Who on our team do they repleace besides MAYBE Rattie?

I'd give a 6th or 7th for Jurco for depth but not a third and fourth for both.

Why ? They are further alone and the odds of getting an NHLer is those rounds are unlikely . Mind you since Gretzky been brought in our drafting has been much better . I also think Duclair has a lot of potential but hey so did Yakupov so I can understand where you are coming from

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Honestly, I think that Bowman shops both and if they don't get a pick in the 3-5 round range for Duclair or 5-7 for Jurco, they just cut them both loose. It's likely neither are offered a contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad