Junior World Cup

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
not really interested in seeing a Junior World Cup! IIHF U20 tournament is good enough as is. I'm more interested in seeing a best 4 out of 7 Canada v USA Junior Summit Series. But a Junior World Cup? No thank you. not interested in seeing that.

Reactions: Elvs

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Just don’t think there’s an appetite for it. Everyone is already available for the Hlinka/Gretzky but many nations don’t send their best teams. Not sure making another tournament would change anything. Plus it would be unfair to the H/G tourney to hold another one so close on the schedule.

Reactions: Past Considerations

nilan30

Jan 14, 2004
not really interested in seeing a Junior World Cup! IIHF U20 tournament is good enough as is. I'm more interested in seeing a best 4 out of 7 Canada v USA Junior Summit Series. But a Junior World Cup? No thank you. not interested in seeing that.

The four of seven US Canada would be great to watch though but I don't know how eager the NHL teams of the drafted players would be. There would be a lot of bloodshed by the end. It would have to be in the late spring or summer after the Mem Cup as I don't know if Jr and College teams would want to lose their top players in-season

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
^Hell no. The World Juniors IMO is not really the greatest hockey to watch, sorry to say. It's just a big deal because it takes place over the Christmas holidays and there is a huge fanbase/audience in Canada for it. Besides the NHL and the Olympics I'd much rather watch the WCs than the WJCs. Moving it to the summer would absolutely kill it.

As for the suggestion, also no thanks. What's so great about watching junior players anyway that would call for multiple tournaments for it? They aren't anywhere near as skilled, with sound judgement or coordinated as a senior team.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I don't see the point. I doubt that NHL based players would bother with such a tournament, if that is the goal. It would basically be the world juniors, but repeated and in the summer.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
No, if anything the best Canadian players being in the NHL makes it more interesting as smaller countries don't have the same depth. TSN has spent years promoting the shit out of the WJC, that wouldn't happen with a summer tournament.

I'd rather see a greater emphasis placed on mens international hockey, similar to soccer, but that won't happen.

Jahara

Sep 25, 2018
NHL should release their juniors player for the Juniors. Simple as that. Maybe they could combine it with some kind of Christmas vacation.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Year after year Canada, USA and sometimes also other countries have some players, they dont play on WJC because NHL.

Do you think, we will see some sort of Junior World Cup?

that still would not stop players from not playing. NHL is only part of the problem.. Usually during draft years, players pick and chose which tournaments they play in

Past Considerations

May 13, 2007
Finland
NHL should release their juniors player for the Juniors. Simple as that. Maybe they could combine it with some kind of Christmas vacation.
It is not up to NHL anyway, it is up to the teams/organizations. Obviously when the player is a top pick and/or already having a major role then the player won't get released, but it is always up to the organization.

Jahara

Sep 25, 2018
It is not up to NHL anyway, it is up to the teams/organizations. Obviously when the player is a top pick and/or already having a major role then the player won't get released, but it is always up to the organization.
Every junior player should be available and the NHL organizations should just accept it. Simple as that.

Reactions: KTl

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad