Pre-Game Talk: Junior Summer Showcase

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
Curious to see Focht, he was a WHL first round pick, seems to have skill, and looks like he might get an opportunity to showcase in an offensive role in the WJSS. Has yet to produce at a high level in the WHL.

Reactions: lindgren

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Curious to see Focht, he was a WHL first round pick, seems to have skill, and looks like he might get an opportunity to showcase in an offensive role in the WJSS. Has yet to produce at a high level in the WHL.

Canada's first game is today at 1:00 Vancouver time, vs the US. If you stream the game, please report!

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
I believe that neither Focth nor Woo played for Canada vs the U.S. today, so we'll have to wait for the exciting news.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
On 650 this morning they had a guest (sorry, can't remember the name) who is covering the Showcase. He said he'd just spoken with Utunen, and Toni said he is hoping to captain the Finns at this year's World's. Nice that he's confident enough to say that.

Reactions: Neddam ot Sehguh

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
On 650 this morning they had a guest (sorry, can't remember the name) who is covering the Showcase. He said he'd just spoken with Utunen, and Toni said he is hoping to captain the Finns at this year's World's. Nice that he's confident enough to say that.
I could be wrong, but hasn’t he been the captain before?

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC

He's captained for Finland before at the u-18 level, so that makes sense.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Canada Vs Finland starts at 10:00 our time. Utunen. Woo? Focht? (My guess is the Canadian guys will be sitting again.)

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Toni Utunen is a curiosity. Seems to dominate in his age category.....but generates next to nothing in the Finnish professional league. Of course you tend to forget how young he was when the Canucks drafted him. He's still eligible for this year's WJC and has already come out and stated he wants to captain the Finns. You have to love the brash confidence.

I suppose the fact he's able to hold his own in professional league as basically a 17-year old is a good sign. But in terms of his future with the Canucks, is he likely to earn a contract?

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Toni Utunen is a curiosity. Seems to dominate in his age category.....but generates next to nothing in the Finnish professional league. Of course you tend to forget how young he was when the Canucks drafted him. He's still eligible for this year's WJC and has already come out and stated he wants to captain the Finns. You have to love the brash confidence.

I suppose the fact he's able to hold his own in professional league as basically a 17-year old is a good sign. But in terms of his future with the Canucks, is he likely to earn a contract?

I think he'll earn a contract, and spend a few years in Utica before a possible move to the NHL. He doesn't have very high upside, but could develop into an ideal, cheap, safe, and smart bot pairing D that can give you solid 5v5 mins, while killing penalties for you.

The biggest issue (besides offensive creativity, which won't improve) for Toni is skating, and while he's improved he still has to get better if he wants to make the NHL.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I think he'll earn a contract, and spend a few years in Utica before a possible move to the NHL. He doesn't have very high upside, but could develop into an ideal, cheap, safe, and smart bot pairing D that can give you solid 5v5 mins, while killing penalties for you.

The biggest issue (besides offensive creativity, which won't improve) for Toni is skating, and while he's improved he still has to get better if he wants to make the NHL.

Sounds like a prospect. Yup.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Watched Focht in the tournament and he showed reasonably well. Got lots of time and played in all situations - PP, PK and lots of 5 on 5. Has good speed and decent puck movement through the neutral zone although had trouble completing plays once he got in the o-zone. Was good positionally on the PK and moved puck fine on the PP.

For a fairly late round draft showed, he could stay with some the better prospects around. That said, only the very best of these of these players have a chance to ever see the NHL and Focht will need to up every aspect of his play to have chance. But even saying he has shown some chance is important for a player taken in the 5th round.

Utenen still doesn't show really any dynamic quality but he is his mobile and plays a very steady and smart game. Does a good job of keeping the play in front of him and reading play in the d-zone.

Saw little of Woo but lack of game time is a concern. You do wonder about upside.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
I wasn't overly impressed with what little I saw of Jett Woo. He looked short and stocky on the ice with limited range and mobility resulting in weak defensive zone coverage. Was caught flat footed on one or two occasions. I would be surprised if he makes the cut for the final roster barring multiple absentees; injuries. The Kole Lind track is threatening to be a well traveled one for our top WHL drafts.

*reporter Mark Masters managed to slip a Leafs question into nearly every rinkside interview; ya gotta love TSN eh ;)

Reactions: Carnal and lindgren

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I wasn't overly impressed with what little I saw of Jett Woo. He looked short and stocky on the ice with limited range and mobility resulting in weak defensive zone coverage. Was caught flat footed on one or two occasions. I would be surprised if he makes the cut for the final roster barring multiple absentees; injuries. The Kole Lind track is threatening to be a well traveled one for our top WHL drafts.

*reporter Mark Masters managed to slip a Leafs question into nearly every rinkside interview; ya gotta love TSN eh ;)
You always keep your fingers crossed for guys like Lind and Woo, but on the flip side the track record of the Canucks drafting anyone of consequence from the Dub is abysmal. It boggles the mind how they can find mid-to-late round gems out of the USHL, but consistently whiff on the Major Junior league a lot closer to home.

I noted there was a shakeup in the Canucks scouting staff recently....hoping they redouble their efforts to find a guy who can actually find a decent prospect in Western Canada.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

If I recall Woo was recovering from knee surgery at the Canucks prospect camp earlier this summer and skated on his own. That may explain his limited playing time and so so play.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
If I recall Woo was recovering from knee surgery at the Canucks prospect camp earlier this summer and skated on his own. That may explain his limited playing time and so so play.
Yeah, I'm really hoping that had some effect on his play, which could be charitably assessed as underwhelming.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
You always keep your fingers crossed for guys like Lind and Woo, but on the flip side the track record of the Canucks drafting anyone of consequence from the Dub is abysmal. It boggles the mind how they can find mid-to-late round gems out of the USHL, but consistently whiff on the Major Junior league a lot closer to home.

I noted there was a shakeup in the Canucks scouting staff recently....hoping they redouble their efforts to find a guy who can actually find a decent prospect in Western Canada.
You're almost tempted to think that maybe The Chief and The Steamer are responsible for much of the WHL scouting the way these players are tracking, but when you recall Jimbo's over the top excitement over the Kole Lind selection you realize this is probably the scouting handiwork of The Jock Whisperer himself with perhaps assists from Delorme and Smyl.

It just somehow has the feel of a Benning/West Coast Alumni co production

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005

It was reported that he missed one of Canada's practices. Perhaps that injury recovery was the reason.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
Surprised no one mentioned that ridiculous pass that Focht made to Fortier for that one goal against Sweden. That was a thing of *beauty*.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad