Pre-Game Talk: Junior Summer Showcase

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
The World Junior Summer Showcase begins in just over a week in Plymouth, Michigan, with teams from Canada, The U.S., Sweden, and Finland competing.

Here's a story from NHL.com that includes each team's roster:

World Junior Summer Showcase features top 2019 NHL Draft prospects

I'm not sure how accurate the rosters are: Hoglander isn't listed, and I've read elsewhere that he'll be playing. Utunen and Woo are the only Canucks prospects I see, but perhaps there will be more?

It'll be a good sign re Woo's health, obviously, if he sees action.

I hope we get reports from all the Canucks fans in Plymouth.

Edit: It's also been reported that Carson Focht will play for Canada.

Last edited:
Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I think the link provided might for last year's summer showcase....since it still describes Hughes and Kakko likely going 1-2 in the 2019 entry draft...and Carson Focht is described as being '2019 draft eligible'.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
I think the link provided might for last year's summer showcase....since it still describes Hughes and Kakko likely going 1-2 in the 2019 entry draft...and Carson Focht is described as being '2019 draft eligible'.

Hmmm ... the story is dated June 20, 2019, and it talks about the process for selecting rosters for the 2020 World Juniors ...?

I think the story was written just before the recent draft.

Reactions: DL44

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Hopefully Hoglander gets his season off to a strong start to earn an invite to a later camp.

Would love to see him vs the elite of his peers.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Isn't really a huge deal if so, but it seems like there might be some issues with Hoglander and the Swedish hockey federation, as he was somewhat surprisingly cut from the WJC squad last year as well.
Mikael Samuelsson 2.0

Samuelsson irate over Olympic snub

Mikael Samuelsson was not pleased with Sweden’s decision to leave him off the country’s Olympic team roster. "I pretty much have one comment and maybe I'll regret it," Samuelsson told the Vancouver Sun. "But they can go [expletive] themselves. That's what I really think."

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Mikael Samuelsson 2.0

Samuelsson was right to be upset. He led all Swedish players in goals in the NHL that season and they left him off the Olympic team in favor of a handful of SEL and KHL guys. It was ridiculous.

Edit - Actually I'm wrong, Samuelsson was 2nd (he had 30 goals, Backstrom had 33). Still, it was a horrendous snub.

Then again, Canada left their leading goal scorer off the roster too (Stamkos) and won the gold medal. Ah, it was a different time...

Last edited:

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
He's playing top-9 minutes on a SEL team - the CHL would be a huge step down and I wouldn't want him anywhere near that league.

Yeah that's fair.

Looked it up and I just found out that Hoglander played with former Canucks draft pick Taylor Matson for Rögle BK. Matson seems to have carved out a decent career for himself as a middle-six SHL player...good for him.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Considering Soderstorm is also being replaced, I think both are considered locks for Sweden and are held out to avoid injury. Hoglander is one of the best '00 players in Sweden and will be relied on to score.

Reactions: lindgren

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
I think a franchise in the middle (almost end?) of a rebuild should have more representation at this tournament. Independent decisions by each country show that our prospect depth is lacking in talent.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
I think a franchise in the middle (almost end?) of a rebuild should have more representation at this tournament. Independent decisions by each country show that our prospect depth is lacking in talent.

I personally dont think that has any barring on quality of a prospect pool. Russia is also not represented. And hoglander as mentioned is not participating for whatever reason.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
They are both in the SEL so that may have some bearing on junior summer showcase participation

novon04

Dec 21, 2011
Reactions: lindgren

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad