Czech Republic: Junior Development Programme: Opinions on the Lener era

Has Lener done a good job in improving Czech junior development?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010
I don't normally post threads here, but I've been thinking about this one for some time so here we are.

It's coming up to ten years since Slavomir Lener became the "svazový šéftrenér" in the Czech hockey Association.

When he took up his post, many of us here were quite excited to hopefully see some changes and improvements to czech hockey at a time when our junior teams were seriously struggling. Our U-18 team hit rock bottom when it was relegated to Division 1A in 2007 and our U-20 teams were being regularly thrashed, most memorably 10-1 by Sweden in 2010.

Lener arrived in his new post in April 2010, and amongst other things, he set out a ten-point programme on things we can improve. These were as follows:

1. Training acceleration and explosiveness.
2. Net-presence and pressure. Taking away the "eyes of the goalie".
3. Training individual skills (stickhandling, passing etc)
4. Transition from defense to offense-speed, timing and active involvement of the defenseman.
5. Transition from attack to defense-immediate and active forechecking of all 5 players, pressure on the puck-carrier and no 1-2-2 system that you have at the youth level.
6. Stick penalties (hooking, slashing etc).
7. Coaching-development of individuals, allowing players to create.
8. Communication
9. Daily off-ice training.
10. School and other duties.

To what extent do we feel that these points have been achieved? Is there anything else worth mentioning that Lener promised and didn't deliver? What has Lener done that's been good? I have created a poll to judge his "era".

I think we can have a really fruitful discussion here, as we have many regular Czech posters who have a lot of knowledge and experience to share.

I will update this post to reflect our thoughts so we can give a picture of the state of our hockey to others on this forum and for us to use as a reference point for judging today's teams.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
I don't normally post threads here, but I've been thinking about this one for some time so here we are.

It's coming up to ten years since Slavomir Lener became the "svazový šéftrenér" in the Czech hockey Association.

When he took up his post, many of us here were quite excited to hopefully see some changes and improvements to czech hockey at a time when our junior teams were seriously struggling. Our U-18 team hit rock bottom when it was relegated to Division 1A in 2007 and our U-20 teams were being regularly thrashed, most memorably 10-1 by Sweden in 2010.

Lener arrived in his new post in April 2010, and amongst other things, he set out a ten-point programme on things we can improve. These were as follows:

1. Training acceleration and explosiveness.
2. Net-presence and pressure. Taking away the "eyes of the goalie".
3. Training individual skills (stickhandling, passing etc)
4. Transition from defense to offense-speed, timing and active involvement of the defenseman.
5. Transition from attack to defense-immediate and active forechecking of all 5 players, pressure on the puck-carrier and no 1-2-2 system that you have at the youth level.
6. Stick penalties (hooking, slashing etc).
7. Coaching-development of individuals, allowing players to create.
8. Communication
9. Daily off-ice training.
10. School and other duties.

To what extent do we feel that these points have been achieved? Is there anything else worth mentioning that Lener promised and didn't deliver? What has Lener done that's been good? I have created a poll to judge his "era".

I think we can have a really fruitful discussion here, as we have many regular Czech posters who have a lot of knowledge and experience to share.

I will update this post to reflect our thoughts so we can give a picture of the state of our hockey to others on this forum and for us to use as a reference point for judging today's teams.

IMO, that can answer only a person, taht is directly involved in Czech ice-hockey. Parents, players or coaches.

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010
IMO, that can answer only a person, taht is directly involved in Czech ice-hockey. Parents, players or coaches.

I don't agree. I think we can make a lot of comments and observations based on what we see on the ice. I certainly think that the skating and individual skill level of the players have improved.

It doesn't need to specifically be related to Lener's goals, but even just visually how they play now vs back then. Some of the points that Lener covers we can definitely comment on. I'd be interested in your opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->