Junior Club World Cup 2018, Sochi, Russia (18-26 August)

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Russian city of Sochi will host another edition of the Junior Club World Cup, the joint project of the MHL (Russian major juniors) and the IIHF. The tournament will take place from 18 to 26 August in Sochi, Russia. It is tournament for U20 players.

Teams

Loko Yaroslavl (MHL, Russia)
Kunlun Red Star (MHL, China)
HV 71 (Sweden)
Jokerit (Finland)
Oceláři Třinec (Czech rep)
Red Bull Salzburg (Austria, former MHL team)
HC Davos (Switzerland)
Ottawa (select team from Canada)

Of course, we can discuss all teams, but I would like to know what players will play for Ottawa select team. From what leagues?

Per tweets at @JCWC20, they planned to invite Slovak champ Dukla Trenčín and MHL teams from Latvia (Riga) and Kazahstan (Astana).

homepage of the tournament since 2011 (in Russian)

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
They say, it's Ottawa Capitals from Canada, but Google doesn't know such a team. There is Ottawa 67s, but I doubt, it's they, because CHL ignores the tournament.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Yep, I guess it will be some select team from players playing in Canada region, some Jr.A level? There were such select teams in the past of the tournament. Do not remember if it was from US or Canada.

If it was Ottawa 67s, they would announce it with using a correct name. And you are right about the CHL´s attitude.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Yep, I guess it will be some select team from players playing in Canada region, some Jr.A level? There were such select teams in the past of the tournament. Do not remember if it was from US or Canada.

If it was Ottawa 67s, they would announce it with using a correct name. And you are right about the CHL´s attitude.

They had a USHL team once, but it didn't look that great, and Americans have stopped coming since then. Stupid ones, because Sochi in August is gorgeous.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
They had a USHL team once, but it didn't look that great, and Americans have stopped coming since then. Stupid ones, because Sochi in August is gorgeous.
I looked at the history. The CHL teams were Sudbury Wolves, Cape Breton Screaming Eagles. The USHL sides were Waterloo Black Hawks, Sioux City Musketeers, Chicago Steel.

Besides arrogance and sanctions, I see another reason why Canada & especially US do not participate anymore. Former MHL director, Dmitri Efimov, had an experience with the US, he studied there and whatever else he did there. He started this MHL All Star Team travelling to USA. All these projects with the US finished in 2014-2015, when he was replaced by Alexey Morozov (and sanctions started).

All in all, the idea of such a tournament is great. Timing is ok as well. Russians always prepare some tourist guide for all teams. Not every young player can have such oppurtunity, especially those from European leagues.

Reactions: Lalonde

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
group A: Loko Yaroslavl, Ottawa, Jokerit, Kunlun Red Star
group B: HV 71, Oceláři Třinec, Red Bull Salzburg, HC Davos

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
An all star team from the Junior tier 2 Central Canada Hockey League will represent Canada. The league has 12 teams all located in the vicinity of Ottawa.

iginlafan77

Dec 5, 2014
The highest tier of Canadian junior is referred to as major junior. That is the three leagues of the CHL.
The CCHL, which will make up this Ottawa team, are members of Canadian junior A, a tier below major junior.

Reactions: Wings4Life

ijuka

May 14, 2016
... Why Jokerit u20 junior team? That team's garbage. Come on, Finland has several teams that are constantly at the top of the u20s. HPK or Kärpät would have made much more sense considering results.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
... Why Jokerit u20 junior team? That team's garbage. Come on, Finland has several teams that are constantly at the top of the u20s. HPK or Kärpät would have made much more sense considering results.
Makes sense that a Russian team would come to play in Russia, IMO.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
And what leagues are Tier 1? CHLs?

The "Tier 2" thing went out decades ago but some people still say it for whatever reason. It implied CHL (WHL, OHL, QMJHL) as tier 1, tier 2 as the Junior A leagues. Truth is while Major Junior is in terms of play easily above Jr A, there is compelling reason many players that could play Major Junior stay in Junior A in US college scholarships.

The CCHL is part of Jr. A level (technically same level as OJHL, BCHL, AJHL, etc). At that level there is often quite a difference between leagues so it's hard to gauge the level of play as I haven't seen players from that league play.

Reactions: Wings4Life

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Usually, national hockey federations pick a team which going to this tournament. The MHL prefers the champion to be picked. You can ask the Finnish hockey federation for details.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
The "Tier 2" thing went out decades ago but some people still say it for whatever reason. It implied CHL (WHL, OHL, QMJHL) as tier 1, tier 2 as the Junior A leagues. Truth is while Major Junior is in terms of play easily above Jr A, there is compelling reason many players that could play Major Junior stay in Junior A in US college scholarships.

The CCHL is part of Jr. A level (technically same level as OJHL, BCHL, AJHL, etc). At that level there is often quite a difference between leagues so it's hard to gauge the level of play as I haven't seen players from that league play.

Thank you. So we'll see the level at the tournament.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

Let's put it this way, this tournament isn't very high on hockey federation's nor club's calendars. There's been basically zero mentions of it in any of the major hockey medias or news agencies over the years. It gets zero coverage.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Let's put it this way, this tournament isn't very high on hockey federation's nor club's calendars. There's been basically zero mentions of it in any of the major hockey medias or news agencies over the years. It gets zero coverage.
Name a junior club tournament, existing one, where clubs from top countries like Russia, Sweden, Finland, Czech rep regularly meet. I remember about European Trophy Junior, which was played a few seasons, now does not exist anymore.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Name a junior club tournament, existing one, where clubs from top countries like Russia, Sweden, Finland, Czech rep regularly meet. I remember about European Trophy Junior, which was played a few seasons, now does not exist anymore.

Junior teams in Finland don't exactly have money to travel abroad and due to army obligations (especially in the summer), it's not beneficial since many players might not be available. Thus, no interest in these type of tournaments.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Junior teams in Finland don't exactly have money to travel abroad and due to army obligations (especially in the summer), it's not beneficial since many players might not be available. Thus, no interest in these type of tournaments.
I asked something else, so please, reply.

To remind you - HIFK, HPK, Espoo Blues, TPS and Jokerit have played at this tournament. How is it possible if they do not have money to travel aboard?

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I asked something else, so please, reply.

To remind you - HIFK, HPK, Espoo Blues, TPS and Jokerit have played at this tournament. How is it possible if they do not have money to travel aboard?

Because A-junior clubs still operate separately from the Liiga clubs and as registered associations which are basically non-profit organizations. But there's also a U-20 tournament in Sweden at the same time so it's obvious the federation's and club's focus is on that.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
I remember back in 14-15 an MHL All Star team came to the US near Christmas time. They played the then AJHL (Atlantic Jr) all star team and if i recall it was an even game. They also played a few D1 teams and got hammered by 6-7 goals by all of them. The CCHL team will fare just fine over there I think

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I looked at the history. The CHL teams were Sudbury Wolves, Cape Breton Screaming Eagles. The USHL sides were Waterloo Black Hawks, Sioux City Musketeers, Chicago Steel.

Besides arrogance and sanctions, I see another reason why Canada & especially US do not participate anymore. Former MHL director, Dmitri Efimov, had an experience with the US, he studied there and whatever else he did there. He started this MHL All Star Team travelling to USA. All these projects with the US finished in 2014-2015, when he was replaced by Alexey Morozov (and sanctions started).

All in all, the idea of such a tournament is great. Timing is ok as well. Russians always prepare some tourist guide for all teams. Not every young player can have such oppurtunity, especially those from European leagues.
How come when it comes to anything North America you guys always have to bring out the arrogance card anyway?

it's a bullshit nothing tournament, there is no high prestige involved in it where anyone would be compelled to send a team to it, for gods sake. Why should they care enough about it to even send teams if they don't want to. Give me the reasons a country or league should be compelled to participate in this tournament? please list the value and prestige this tournament holds that makes it a 'must participate"

It's just a junior club tournament, it's nothing. It doesn't matter whether you send a team or you don't, you make it sound like it's the olympics or something.

Reactions: shj648

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->