Junior C Ontario Alumni

Taoiseach

Go Hull Go!
May 14, 2011
Ottawa-Gatineau, NCR
The best player ever? I'd have to do some research into who played a year or two of c before moving up, but Keith Crowder certainly comes to mind. I've had my favourites over the years, like Aaron Mulcaster, or, right now, Tyler Scott, but it's certainly a rare thing to see a Junior c player make the NHL.

The thing you have to factor in though, is that there's no Junior A south of Toronto, so everything gets shifted down a letter artificially. From all the time that I've spent watching both leagues, I have no trouble saying that the GLJHL and the EOJHL are pretty close in terms of quality of play. Considering that, everyone who had ever played a year of Junior B at 15 before moving up in the rest of the country would have played Junior C in SWO. For example, Jimmy Howard played for Westport (B) at 15, and Tie Domi played for Belle River (C) at 15.

Of the top of my head though, I can't think of anyone who played his whole Junior career in C and made the NHL.

Taoiseach

Go Hull Go!
May 14, 2011
Ottawa-Gatineau, NCR
No I would like to know who's the best player who start their career in Junior C

Well, yeah, that's my point. There are all sorts of guys who played a year of C at 15 or 16 (particularly in Southwestern Ontario, where Junior C is on par with Junior B in other parts of the country), and then got drafted into the OHL.

I think you need more parameters than just the best player to have even donned a Junior C jersey for a little while.

Keith and Bruce Crowder both played for the 73's for two seasons. Keith then played three seasons for the Petes, and then was a Bruin for just about the entirety of the 80s. Bruce was also a Bruin.

cchltier1fan

May 23, 2013
The thing you have to factor in though, is that there's no Junior A south of Toronto, so everything gets shifted down a letter artificially. From all the time that I've spent watching both leagues, I have no trouble saying that the GLJHL and the EOJHL are pretty close in terms of quality of play.

I have scouted both leagues and GLJHL definitely weaker, same as GOJHL is not equivalent to Jr A. GOJHL has some good players and teams but lacks the depth of Jr A, just way too many teams in GOJHL to be Jr A calibre.

Petey3329

May 27, 2008
I played jr c vs steve mason when we were both 16 both goalies, he was playing for Grimsby peach kings.

Reactions: sbpointer

BeaverSports

Mar 3, 2004
In order what's the best Junior C league ?

That's another difficult question to answer because we don't know what your criteria is. Is it the league that produces a Schmalz Cup winner most often? Is it the league with the most parity between its members? Is it the league that pushes the most players to Jr. A or Jr. B?

I think it depends on the talent available in any given year which league is playing the best hockey.

hockey8765

Oct 5, 2011
That's another difficult question to answer because we don't know what your criteria is. Is it the league that produces a Schmalz Cup winner most often? Is it the league with the most parity between its members? Is it the league that pushes the most players to Jr. A or Jr. B?

I think it depends on the talent available in any given year which league is playing the best hockey.

Junior A it's like

BCHL
CCHL/AJHL/OJHL
The rest

Who's the league who produce the most Junior A and Major Junior players

Petey3329

May 27, 2008
georgina lol it was in the schmalz cup playoffs - central division is where we played out of

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Doesn't really answer OP's question but a recent notable grad is Kevin Czuczman, on the cusp with NYI.

Didn't make C until his draft year (NHL) but then climbed the Ontario junior system like a ladder and went NCAA

jking

Nov 30, 2011
Derek Medeiros is currently playing senior hockey for the Brantford Blast and led the league in scoring. Not bad for a guy coming straight out of junior c in Hagersville. Im sure he could probably play pro somewhere since most of this league is ex pro players.

JrHockeyPlayer

Oct 23, 2021
Brett Brochu on the London knights currently will probably end up in and around the NHL/AHL. I believe he played for Dresden Jr.C team. The Junior C is actually really good from Windsor to Hamilton and in between in Ontario. It’d be considered Jr.B everywhere else

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad