Junior B Players In The NHL

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Okay. Now I get the school niche in Toronto at that time. The Montreal private schools played in the GMIAA which governed school sports.

I believe in Toronto its called the CISSA these days. Ridley College, St.Andrews & St.Mikes, UCC. Even smaller than it was throughout the 20th & early 21st centuries Im afraid as costs have escalated. St.Mikes appearing to be also joining the MWPHL, Mid-West Prep Hockey League, really short schedule, playing against Im assuming US based school teams. The players in todays St.Mikes program not permitted to play in the GTHL nor in OHA league's. Strictly scholastic. The Major Jr. team sold & moved to Mississauga a couple of years ago after a return for several years after its first departure in the early 60's.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Trend

I believe in Toronto its called the CISSA these days. Ridley College, St.Andrews & St.Mikes, UCC. Even smaller than it was throughout the 20th & early 21st centuries Im afraid as costs have escalated. St.Mikes appearing to be also joining the MWPHL, Mid-West Prep Hockey League, really short schedule, playing against Im assuming US based school teams. The players in todays St.Mikes program not permitted to play in the GTHL nor in OHA league's. Strictly scholastic. The Major Jr. team sold & moved to Mississauga a couple of years ago after a return for several years after its first departure in the early 60's.

Same trend in Quebec these days. Throw in a heavy non-sanctioned tournament schedule or exhibition schedule or exchanges against similar schools in Canada and the USA.

Read a bit more about the Hyman controversy. A lot more dollars available in minor hockey in the GTA. None of the Montreal based teams or organizations could/would pay a treasurer $40,000/annum.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Same trend in Quebec these days. Throw in a heavy non-sanctioned tournament schedule or exhibition schedule or exchanges against similar schools in Canada and the USA.... Read a bit more about the Hyman controversy. A lot more dollars available in minor hockey in the GTA. None of the Montreal based teams or organizations could/would pay a treasurer $40,000/annum.

Ya, this guy really seems to have driven a bus right through the GTHL's Constitution & precepts, capitalizing on the ambitions of players & their parents, pay per play. Theres a relatively new Junior 'A' league operating down on the Westcoast of the US as well thats similarly structured, though non affiliated with Hockey USA. Pay per play. Greg Jamison, the guy going after the Phoenix Coyotes and former CEO, still Minority Owner with the Sharks just last summer bought a franchise in that league. Im assuming the calibre likely equivalent to Junior 'B' as it exists today in rural centres peppered throughout Ontario. A notch below Tier II Provincial, on par likely with decent Midget AA to AAA perhaps.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
In Quebec during the 60's/70's it was quite normal to play Junior B for a year or two then get promoted to Major Junior. I remember seeing Ian Turnbull and Richard Mulhern ( among others) playing for the Pointe Claire Flyers for a year or so? Before moving on up the ladder. Back them AAA Midget wasn't an option in Quebec.

A really talented player would play Junior B when he was 15 , then Major Junior later. Some might have the skills to play at 14, but seldom did as Junior hockey was VERY rough back then, and most 14 year olds would be near traumatized by playing it.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Some might have the skills to play at 14, but seldom did as Junior hockey was VERY rough back then, and most 14 year olds would be near traumatized by playing it.

... :laugh: aint that the truth. Even Jr.B was notoriously rough back in the day, and it was a "win at all costs" environment in as much as it was supposed to be a "developmental league". Some serious bruisers patrolling the blue lines, headcases who were highly skilled & talented playing upfront more than capable of excelling in Jr.A but kept down for fear that they could well wind up facing Manslaughter charges if emotional quotients were kicked up a notch at the Major Junior levels. Quite a difference and step up from the then designation of AA Bantam or Minor Midget / Midget (there was no AAA designation back then) to Jr.B, the next step up not quite so steep and onto the next rung of Jr.A from Jr.B, so yes, the leagues were extremely useful & viable in that regard.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Age Increments

... :laugh: aint that the truth. Even Jr.B was notoriously rough back in the day, and it was a "win at all costs" environment in as much as it was supposed to be a "developmental league". Some serious bruisers patrolling the blue lines, headcases who were highly skilled & talented playing upfront more than capable of excelling in Jr.A but kept down for fear that they could well wind up facing Manslaughter charges if emotional quotients were kicked up a notch at the Major Junior levels. Quite a difference and step up from the then designation of AA Bantam or Minor Midget / Midget (there was no AAA designation back then) to Jr.B, the next step up not quite so steep and onto the next rung of Jr.A from Jr.B, so yes, the leagues were extremely useful & viable in that regard.

Thru Bantam you had/have two year increments across Canada for each category. Starting at Midget(three years) or the old Juvenile category, making a comeback with school hockey, the increments varied up to six years, possible to play Junior from the age of 15-20, exceptional instances 14 to 20 or seven years.

The other problem was admission especially Junior. The players wanted to get paid or get benefits of some type.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
At the Junior B rinks there would be a mop and bucket of water on hand to wipe up the on ice blood spills. All teams had at least one heavy duty enforcer, and at least a couple more that could use their fists. Some teams had way more fighters than that. All players were expected to drop the gloves if it was an even match (I.e. 15 year old vs. 15 year old).

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Mmjhl

In Quebec during the 60's/70's it was quite normal to play Junior B for a year or two then get promoted to Major Junior. I remember seeing Ian Turnbull and Richard Mulhern ( among others) playing for the Pointe Claire Flyers for a year or so? Before moving on up the ladder. Back them AAA Midget wasn't an option in Quebec.

A really talented player would play Junior B when he was 15 , then Major Junior later. Some might have the skills to play at 14, but seldom did as Junior hockey was VERY rough back then, and most 14 year olds would be near traumatized by playing it.

1968-69 Ian Turnbull played for the West Island Flyers, a MMJHL team which was an old Jr A - Memorial Cup eligible league. The MMJHL and the QJHL formed the original QMJHL starting with the 1969-70 season. Turnbull was the property of the Montreal Junior Canadiens who were part of the OHA JR league so he never played in the Q, joiming the Junior Canadiens for the 1969-70 season.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/t/turnbia01.html

The remaining MMJHL and QJHL teams that did not join the new QMJHL joined various other provincial Jr A leagues.

Also at that time you had the Juvenile category which tended to be the buffer between Bantam and Junior. The age limit for Juvenile was somewhat variable, some leagues were under 20, others under 18, but the talented 14 and 15 year olds tended to play Juvenile.

derbyfan

Nov 23, 2002
Visit site
At the Junior B rinks there would be a mop and bucket of water on hand to wipe up the on ice blood spills. All teams had at least one heavy duty enforcer, and at least a couple more that could use their fists. Some teams had way more fighters than that. All players were expected to drop the gloves if it was an even match (I.e. 15 year old vs. 15 year old).

Ah yes, the old mop and bucket. My now departed yet not forgotten hometown Streetsville Derbys (Junior B) were notorious. Never mind one or two enforcers, they were legendary for dressing some of the toughest S.O.B.'s around. From what I'm told by those who watched them in the 70's teams playing them would routinely get the 'Philly Flu' similar to what NHL teams would get when they had to face the Flyers.
That being said, they were also a legendary powerhouse that won a string of league titles over two decades and a Sutherland Cup in the late 70's.

It was tough yet skilled hockey. Wow I miss those Junior B days.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Ah yes, the old mop and bucket. My now departed yet not forgotten hometown Streetsville Derbys (Junior B) were notorious.... It was tough yet skilled hockey. Wow I miss those Junior B days.

Played against them. And ya, some serious McNasty's playing for Streetsville, Aurora & elsewhere. Generally 4-8 players on my team suddenly "ill" or a "sorry, car brokedown" when at practice the night before dangling the light fantastique. Gutless.

I was a goalie, and got it from both sides. Being called up to a Jr.A game at 4pm, rushing out to God knows where, and only because even your parent 'A' levels clubs goalies refused to show up against the Boogeymen so much in vogue circa 69-72 at the Junior levels.

These maniacs had absolutely no second thoughts, not for a moment, to absolutely run over your skinny white ass like a freight train, and if a brawl broke out because of it, all the better. Teeth flying around your crease like a Chiclets factory. Straight arms, butt ends, cross checks to the throat, kicking, spitting in your face, you name it. Jr.B in southern Ontario back in the day, you didnt wanna "make it to the bigs", you wanted to put your opponents in the hospital. Preferably the Morgue.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
1968-69 Ian Turnbull played for the West Island Flyers, a MMJHL team which was an old Jr A - Memorial Cup eligible league. The MMJHL and the QJHL formed the original QMJHL starting with the 1969-70 season. Turnbull was the property of the Montreal Junior Canadiens who were part of the OHA JR league so he never played in the Q, joiming the Junior Canadiens for the 1969-70 season.

Ian Turnbull Stats, Height, Weight, Position, Salary, Title | Hockey-Reference.com

The remaining MMJHL and QJHL teams that did not join the new QMJHL joined various other provincial Jr A leagues.

Also at that time you had the Juvenile category which tended to be the buffer between Bantam and Junior. The age limit for Juvenile was somewhat variable, some leagues were under 20, others under 18, but the talented 14 and 15 year olds tended to play Juvenile.

I don't remember the West Island Flyers being called anything but Junior B, but it was a long time ago. It was good hockey, but a level below the Junior Canadians, Etc.. I think they were later renamed/reformed as the Pointe Claire Flyers in the early 70's. They had the same home arena, anyway, and i'm pretty sure that they both didn't exist at the same time.

Midget (15 & 16) was in between Bantam and Juvenile. The really talented players would move up to Junior B during Midget age, the talented ones during Juvenile(ages 17 & 18), the foot soldiers after Juvenile.

Last edited:

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
West Island Flyers

I don't remember the West Island Flyers being called anything but Junior B, but it was a long time ago. It was good hockey, but a level below the Junior Canadians, Etc..

Midget (15 & 16) was in between Bantam and Juvenile. The really talented players would move up to Junior B during Midget age, the talented ones during Juvenile(ages 17 & 18), the foot soldiers after Juvenile.

After the MMJHL lost its name franchises to the new QMJHL, the league regrouped as Junior "A" league. The West Island Flyers did not participate. From memory they joined a Junior "B" league which included the likes of the LaSalle Cyclones and other Lac St. Louis region teams.

At the time Quebec had a few governing bodies and the juvenile category was rather fluid. 1969-70 Montreal region had Juvenile "AA" which was 16-20, then you had the BB and A and B. This varied by region throughout Quebec until the Juvenile category was eliminated until its recent comeback.

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
Has anyone ever been drafted from a Jr B team INTO the NHL? I have been trying to find info about it, can't.

I assume the usual path for a Jr B player would be to a 'feeder' league, WHL, OHL, QMJHL, NCAA... right?

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Has anyone ever been drafted from a Jr B team INTO the NHL? I have been trying to find info about it, can't.

Back in the day & over the years Im sure theres a few, however its likely they spent time in the minors before being called up. A lot of pro's, hundreds, thousands played Jr.B, then Jr.A. That was the route you took. Todays Provincial Jr.A similar to what Jr.B was like in terms of stepping up into Major Junior from a players perspective. Guys are a half to full step faster, more skilled, polished. Hard enough to jump from Major Junior to the NHL, let alone Jr.B.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad