Junior Age Players Still in Camp

I tried to compile a list of junior-eligible players (those born in 1992 and 1993) who are still in training camp. They're obviously in tough to make teams because of age and contract reasons which aren't present for older prospects so it's interesting to see who's around late in camp. Most NHL team sites are terrible so I probably missed a couple. Post those if you can.

Ducks
Devante Smith-Pelly

Bruins
Tyler Seguin

Hurricanes
Jeff Skinner
Justin Faulk
Ryan Murphy

Blackhawks
Brandon Saad

Avalanche
Gabriel Landeskog

Blue Jackets
Ryan Johansen

Oilers
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins

Panthers
Jonathan Huberdeau
Erik Gudbranson

Canadiens
Michael Bournival
Brendan Gallagher

Devils
Adam Larsson

Islanders
Kirill Kabanov
Nino Niederreiter
Ryan Strome

Senators
Mika Zibanejad

Flyers
Sean Couturier

Penguins
Joe Morrow

Lightning
Brett Connolly

Canucks
Nicklas Jensen

Jets
Mark Scheifele

Last edited:

Tretiak 20

Aug 21, 2009
Canada
Canucks
Nicklas Jensen

Has played quite well during the preseason and might get a 9 game look, but he's almost 100% returning to Oshawa. Very raw, but should become a good top 6 forward if he keeps on developing at a good pace.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Garrett Meurs, last I heard the Avs 5th round pick from 2011 was still there at least. Similar to how the Avs kept Bournival up real late in camp last year before sending him down and eventually trading him.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Ducks
Cam Fowler
Devante Smith Pelly.

Cam has looked phenomenal. First off, his positioning in his own end is fantastic. He knows where to go, who to chase, when to hit, he's been breaking up plays. And in the offensive zone he's even more incredible. Perfect handle on the puck, great vision, poise. Knows when to pass, knows when to shoot. Everything. Powerplay? He looks better than Visnovsky. He IS the number 1 PP dman now. He really looks like out best defenseman out there. Oh, and he's leading the team in points right now.

DSP...I could go into it, but I think he gets 7-8 games and then gets sent back down. He's not ready for the NHL.

Last edited:

Petes1

Oct 26, 2002
Garrett Meurs, last I heard the Avs 5th round pick from 2011 was still there at least. Similar to how the Avs kept Bournival up real late in camp last year before sending him down and eventually trading him.

He's been back with Plymouth since last weekend.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
Brett Bulmer for the Wild.

Big guy, surprisingly solid. General thought on the wild board is he plays the 9 games and then gets sent down. Has a chance to stay, but it's a small one.

And how do you say Schiefle?

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Seguin should be on their if you include Seguin.
Fowler is a 91 so hes AHL eligable
And Zibanejad isnt playing junior but hes old enough to

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Oh yeah that's right. Wish Etem and Smith Pelly were 91s :/ not much the O and the W can do for them.

From the sheer numbers on list in the original post then either the CHL is underrated or the NHL is overrated.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
MTL:

Brendan Gallagher
Micheal Bournival

Saw Gallagher play, very fiesty and a scoring winger for sure really surprised me

Michaël Bournival is still at camp for the Habs.

Thanks, I was thrown off by the 2 games he played for Shawinigan at the beginning of September and thought he'd been returned to junior. Do the Habs usually let their Q prospects play games for their QMJHL junior teams prior to their training camp starting? I don't recall any other teams doing this (but i guess it could have easily escaped my notice).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad