Confirmed with Link: (June 26th, 2018) Canucks re-sign D Derrick Pouliot to 1-year Deal ($1.1M AAV)

DollarAndADream

Feb 27, 2012
I saw this at the top of the board and thought it was a new thread before I quickly checked how many pages there were.

We need to put disclaimers on some of these with the date at the start like that other scary thread we had earlier this season
Not sure about mobile, but on desktop the date is already there.

For a second I thought it was new too, but right underneath the title is the date posted.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Not sure about mobile, but on desktop the date is already there.

For a second I thought it was new too, but right underneath the title is the date posted.

Oh yeah I know it's there, but it took extra looking. It's pretty much giving you the full shock and then saying "it was just a prank". You don't prank someone with PTSD. Given the last 5 years even seeing "Confirmed with Link" briefly fills me with dread until I read it, at which point the dread is usually validated and it completely overtakes me.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I really really hate Gudbranson, but Pouliot is honestly so so so bad. I don't really agree on Gudbranson as the 2nd worst player either, he's like an Alberts type, but honestly I think Pouliot is the worst NHL regular I can ever remember watching.

I'm surprised he even cut it in the AHL.

Pouliot is worse at playing defense than Gudbranson but at least the puck isn’t in our zone sometimes when Pouliot is on the ice.

Gudbranson is a worse player.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I don't care what his cap hit is, this was a useless signing and can't imagine how anyone objective can see value to his play. Coaches favourite and Del Zottos brutal play included, he has been given a gift in this contract and in his time here, and he has been the worst Canuck in terms of on ice impact I can remember.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
giphy.gif

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Pouliot is worse at playing defense than Gudbranson but at least the puck isn’t in our zone sometimes when Pouliot is on the ice.

Gudbranson is also matched up against better players because Green thinks he is capable

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The real scary thing is that Pouliot is far from the Canucks worst d-man. It's just that when he makes a mistake--like getting turnstyled in the Leafs game--it's a whopper that leads directly to a goal.

In terms of zone exits, offensive zone possession numbers and even-strength GA's he's been the best of a generally bad lot of depth d-men. Unfortunately I'm not sure pairing him with Stecher is a great idea for either one of them. I actually thought he played better with Biega. But unfortunately he can't get into the lineup.

Regardless, when Hughes and Juoevi arrive, I'm not sure there's room for either Pouliot or Hutton anyway.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
The real scary thing is that Pouliot is far from the Canucks worst d-man. It's just that when he makes a mistake--like getting turnstyled in the Leafs game--it's a whopper that leads directly to a goal.

In terms of zone exits, offensive zone possession numbers and even-strength GA's he's been the best of a generally bad lot of depth d-men. Unfortunately I'm not sure pairing him with Stecher is a great idea for either one of them. I actually thought he played better with Biega. But unfortunately he can't get into the lineup.

Regardless, when Hughes and Juoevi arrive, I'm not sure there's room for either Pouliot or Hutton anyway.

This is true. Pouliot is pretty terrible but he at least brings something to the table, unlike gudbranson.

Reactions: Pavel96 and WTG

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018

Gudbranson gets tougher matchups. Guddy and Hutton go up against stiff competition, Pouliot makes 4th liners look like Gretzky. They both absolutely suck, but Pouliot is worse.

Last edited:

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Unfortunately some of those passes are good if he's trying to roleplay as Henrik behind our net. The number of times the puck is on his stick and then the other team's in our zone is remarkable.

Gudbranson on the other hand just seemingly engages his cloak in the middle of play and disappears from the game leaving the Canucks shorthanded in their zone.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Unfortunately some of those passes are good if he's trying to roleplay as Henrik behind our net. The number of times the puck is on his stick and then the other team's in our zone is remarkable.

Gudbranson on the other hand just seemingly engages his cloak in the middle of play and disappears from the game leaving the Canucks shorthanded in their zone.

Pouliot pressured in our zone is as ugly as it gets.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Gudbranson is awful with the puck but he plays around and behind the net without the puck very well. This is a trait often overlooked by fans. I wont defend Gudbranson further just think he is a better player to have than Pouliot or Del Zotto. Then when you factor in salaries its easy to pile on Guddy.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Gudbranson is awful with the puck but he plays around and behind the net without the puck very well. This is a trait often overlooked by fans. I wont defend Gudbranson further just think he is a better player to have than Pouliot or Del Zotto. Then when you factor in salaries its easy to pile on Guddy.

Yes except he doesn’t though.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
If he never gets the puck, then he’s not very good at those things in any sort of effective manner.

That doesn't make sense to me. I'm saying in the boards he can retrieve the puck well; however, its the decision he makes with the puck that is the problem.

You know it's possible to be good without the puck and also bad with the puck, right?
Some of you are like vultures trying to convince me of all Gudbranson's deficiencies as a player.

Gudbranson>Pouliot

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
That doesn't make sense to me. I'm saying in the boards he can retrieve the puck well; however, its the decision he makes with the puck that is the problem.

You know it's possible to be good without the puck and also bad with the puck, right?
Some of you are like vultures trying to convince me of all Gudbranson's deficiencies as a player.

Gudbranson>Pouliot

He's bad without the puck. Very bad. He is out of position a lot, caught flat footed and frequently turnstiled due his poor gap control.

He is one of the worst players in the league with the puck, but he is also very bad without it.

And what good does retrieving the puck do you if you can't do anything with it?

Gudbranson has absolutely earned his atrocious +/- rating. He bleeds goals, bleeds chances and bleeds shots. He is an exceptionally poor player.

Reactions: Peter10

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->