Confirmed with Link: (June 26th, 2018) Canucks re-sign D Derrick Pouliot to 1-year Deal ($1.1M AAV)

TheOtherGM

Jan 8, 2007
In the early days of the Pouliot experience I advocated for a wait-and-see approach because he was young enough to still have upside and I saw him make some passes and subtle offensive plays that no one else on the blueline was making.
It's obvious now that the upside isn't going to materialize and the defensive deficiencies of this player faaaaaaaaaaar outweigh the positives of the occasional tape-to-tape pass.
I've seen all I need to see now and I would like him to never play another game for the Canucks.

member 290103

MDZ will be UFA and Pouliot RFA at seasons end, say goodbye to both no way we can afford these guys they are zone killers.
I like Sbisa better. He’d stick up for EP. He was a good fearless dude...he was just bad at the pro level as a player. DP has nothing going for him.

WestCoast CyberG

Nov 5, 2018
No way..if travis is still the coach..his pet will get resigned. It's like the Willie love affair with Vey all over..as much as they stuck.. they find a way to be on the team..
My worry as well....in fact Vey is exactly who I think of when talking Pouliot...a player that has demonstrated very little value on an already bad team yet still, inexplicably, getting regular ice time.

Literally anyone should be considered on D at this point...start bringing them up one at a time and see who sticks. Better than having 2 average D (Stecher/Hutton...both 3rd pairing IMO) and 3 that shouldn't be on any NHL team let alone the Canucks.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Still curious about what Pouliot did last year to deserve a raise for this year. Has he done anything this year to justify it even?

There were a few things that would be clear to any competent management group going into the offseason last year. Pouliot and Granlund should have not received qualifying offers. Erik Gudbranson should have been traded for the 2nd round pick he was rumoured to have been valued at (or, failing that, should have let him walk and moved on). 50% of the D core should have been turned over completely. Nilsson should have been waived to make room for Demko (and get Nilson down to support Utica).

They didn't do any of those things.

Reactions: y2kcanucks

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
There were a few things that would be clear to any competent management group going into the offseason last year. Pouliot and Granlund should have not received qualifying offers. Erik Gudbranson should have been traded for the 2nd round pick he was rumoured to have been valued at (or, failing that, should have let him walk and moved on). 50% of the D core should have been turned over completely. Nilsson should have been waived to make room for Demko (and get Nilson down to support Utica).

They didn't do any of those things.

In other words, we were all correct. As usual.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
The worst defender in the NHL is making 4 million a year on this team, based on that precedent it’s a great contract!

Why are you calling another defender the worst defender in the NHL in the thread dedicated to the actual worst defender in the NHL?

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
God damn it
xVXmwju.gif

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Gudbranson is worse than Pouliot.

I really really hate Gudbranson, but Pouliot is honestly so so so bad. I don't really agree on Gudbranson as the 2nd worst player either, he's like an Alberts type, but honestly I think Pouliot is the worst NHL regular I can ever remember watching.

I'm surprised he even cut it in the AHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->