Confirmed with Link: June 2016: Flyers Sign Radko Gudas To Multi-Year Extension

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I remember back to game 6 last season, and I can't remember how many people wanted him traded. Good evaluative sampling.

To be fair, he was astonishingly bad that game which was his final game in what was his worst season as a Flyer.

:dunno:

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
On the Czech version of the Players' Tribune, bezfrazi.cz, there is a new story by Radko Gudas - mostly a story about his youth (in hockey), his way to the NHL and camps. Talks a little about how he didn't consider himself defensive Dman back in juniors, quote "I scored, PKed, played on the PP, hit the opponents, I did everything". Not much about his time in Philly as far as I know, but mentions how Lombardi (in LA) motivated him to work hard to get to the NHL.

The article is in Czech, I believe Google translate could do a good enough job. But if anyone is interested and the translation won't work, let me know and I could help with some excerpts.

Sorry about the bump, heh

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Is 35 guys... I think the only 35 an argument can really be made for. And some of them are not better once you factor in usage.

Got to be careful with advanced stats and Gudas.

He's clearly been sheltered and for good reason, Radko is tough, smart but athletically limited, match him against a top forward in open ice and he's in trouble. He's just not a good skater, not just lack of straight line speed but he doesn't have the greatest balance either.

But as long as you avoid those matchups he's an ideal defensive defenseman, very good shot from the point, plays a physical game without getting out of position on a regular basis (maybe Hagg should watch his game film), block shots, does what's needed.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
On the Czech version of the Players' Tribune, bezfrazi.cz, there is a new story by Radko Gudas - mostly a story about his youth (in hockey), his way to the NHL and camps. Talks a little about how he didn't consider himself defensive Dman back in juniors, quote "I scored, PKed, played on the PP, hit the opponents, I did everything". Not much about his time in Philly as far as I know, but mentions how Lombardi (in LA) motivated him to work hard to get to the NHL.

The article is in Czech, I believe Google translate could do a good enough job. But if anyone is interested and the translation won't work, let me know and I could help with some excerpts.

Sorry about the bump, heh
Is the google translate line about stronger dogs, accurate?

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Got to be careful with advanced stats and Gudas.

He's clearly been sheltered and for good reason, Radko is tough, smart but athletically limited, match him against a top forward in open ice and he's in trouble. He's just not a good skater, not just lack of straight line speed but he doesn't have the greatest balance either.

But as long as you avoid those matchups he's an ideal defensive defenseman, very good shot from the point, plays a physical game without getting out of position on a regular basis (maybe Hagg should watch his game film), block shots, does what's needed.

His stats were also great when he played with MDZ vs top lines. He is athletically challenged, but is one of those Dmen who knows his limitations and plays within them (so long as he does not "have" to try and do too much.)

I think the partner is the key thing for him. Give him a partner who can skate past his own blue-line or outlet well and Radko is great at complimenting that with his strange but effective OZ play, channelling in the NZ, and physicality in the DZ that deters players from challenging him at blue-line (even though when challenged he is mediocre.)

Look at MDZ in that regard, or Streit... all three have their weaknesses, but together MDZ-Gudas, Streit-Gudas were great.

Sanheim is in my eyes close to a perfect partner in that regard, as their skillsets complement each other.

I think on the opposite side of that Hagg is the antithesis of a good partner for him. As Gudas is more skilled with the puck on his stick, so tries to make more plays from his own zone, which is one thing he does not do that well.

Plus there are just not that many RHD in the NHL. Gudas might not be a top ~100 Dman, but is likely a top 30 RHD.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think on the opposite side of that Hagg is the antithesis of a good partner for him. As Gudas is more skilled with the puck on his stick, so tries to make more plays from his own zone, which is one thing he does not do that well.

Plus there are just not that many RHD in the NHL. Gudas might not be a top ~100 Dman, but is likely a top 30 RHD.

This is why I'm so glad Wilson is gone, that pair was a disaster from the get-go and it was painfully obvious why - yet Wilson kept them together.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Is the google translate line about stronger dogs, accurate?

I am struggling to find an analogic saying for English speaking countries - but the saying is essentialy about "the stronger always getting what they want" - and in Czech it literally is about stronger dog doing... you have seen what, haha.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Reactions: Rebels57

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Gudas made the most of his talent once he got his psychotic streak under control (decapitation is NOT allowed in the NHL, Radko!).

I like the trade, but appreciate what the mad Czech provided us.

Reactions: Jtown

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
I'll miss Gudas, he was a good soldier when he learned to not cross the line. I appreciate what he brought to the team, and hope he does well in the future without clobbering a flyers player.

Reactions: renberg

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Could've went back and just made it an even swap of Coburn for Gudas and we still win it. Got more value than was expected at the time.

Reactions: Rebels57

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I hope Gudas ends up signing out West once he hits free agency next summer.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Remember when he was added how he was supposedly a horrible defensemen, slower than Luke Schenn? :laugh: Yeah, that was a load of garbage.

The guy was great for a secondary piece of that Coburn trade. I would've been perfectly happy keeping and even re-signing him.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Problem with Gudas is you HAVE to match him with a mobile, puck moving D-man.

If Washington puts him with Carlsson, that'll work, but we saw what happened when he was paired with Hagg, he's not going to carry a defensive partner.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
we saw what happened when he was paired with Hagg, he's not going to carry a defensive partner.

He had good stats with mediocre players like MacDonald, MDZ, and especially Manning.

No one does well with Hagg. He's a statistical implosion waiting to happen. You say, "Defensive partner"......I say, "Perhaps the worst regular defenseman in the league."

Reactions: freakydallas13

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
He had good stats with mediocre players like MacDonald, MDZ, and especially Manning.

No one does well with Hagg. He's a statistical implosion waiting to happen. You say, "Defensive partner"......I say, "Perhaps the worst regular defenseman in the league."
8584d0ee056e9406bbe32ad05bf2d0c0.png

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
My prediction is Hagg hangs around the NHL for a decade.

He'll become a passable 3rd pair guy and the right HC will pair him with someone who'll CYA and he'll learn to make fewer positioning mistakes and be more physical in the crease.

Last season 176 D-men played 800 minutes. Hagg wasn't the worst of that group.
Hagg is only 23, it's not like he can't improve, he's not going to be top four material, but he can become a respectable #6 D-man, and those guys are like cockroaches, you never get rid of them.

Manning was a mobile defenseman, his problem was he had no instincts and constantly was over aggressive and hung himself out to dry. AMac can skate, he just skates too well backward. MDZ was the girl with the curl, he was either very good or awful.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad