Confirmed with Link: June 2016: Flyers Sign Radko Gudas To Multi-Year Extension

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I don’t think it’s in question Myers is ready, he’s been one of the Phantoms major pieces in these playoffs, and the organization showers him with praise like few others. And he’s righty.

But for him to start, someone else has to get knocked out. And it means a trade of a veteran or Hagg getting bumped to #7. What tough decisions. A real Sophie’s choice. Or Hextall could wait to call him up mid-way through when someone gets injured per usual.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I don’t think it’s in question Myers is ready, he’s been one of the Phantoms major pieces in these playoffs, and the organization showers him with praise like few others. And he’s righty.

But for him to start, someone else has to get knocked out. And it means a trade of a veteran or Hagg getting bumped to #7. What tough decisions. A real Sophie’s choice. Or Hextall could wait to call him up mid-way through when someone gets injured per usual.
See I think that with Morin hurt to start the year, that allows Hextall to have Myers start in the NHL while Morin recovers. Then Morin becomes that "mid season call-up"....and it would not shock me to see Myers go back down even....as sad as that is.

But as we have seen, injuries are going to happen so Myers SHOULD get a fair amount of games in regardless.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
If Myers can stay healthy, he's ready.

Gordon's comments about him have been pretty telling. He essentially said Myers' pro game improved at double the rate of Sanheim's, and only Myers injuries held him back. It's clear the organization loves the kid, as well they should. He's a horse.

I would imagine Hagg starts as the #7, unless they trade Gudas.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY

Gordon's comments about him have been pretty telling. He essentially said Myers' pro game improved at double the rate of Sanheim's, and only Myers injuries held him back. It's clear the organization loves the kid, as well they should. He's a horse.

Hagg, Gudas and Myers should all be above AMac. A healthy Morin should be as well.

Reactions: Rebels57

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Hagg, Gudas and Myers should all be above AMac. A healthy Morin should be as well.
That’s fine, but you aren’t going to be able to trade AMac. You probably will be able to get a solid return for Gudas. As for Morin, I want to see how he does in the NHL, because I have a lot of questions & don’t see him as more than a #6 right now.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

They certainly are talking up Myers now, like they did with Hagg last year near year's end.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You could trade MacDonald with salary retained, there are worse veterans starting around the NHL.
A two year deal at say $5M total is cheap compared to what mediocre veteran D-men cost in free agency.

Reactions: Magua

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
It's not a question of Mac being tradeable -- he is. If a Cup contending team can trade for Dan Girardi, some crap team can use MacDonald.

The Flyers clearly value MacDonald as a "shutdown" defender and rookie whisperer.

Reactions: Tripod

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
did you ask him why a 6-year vet that was healthy all season needed to "find his game" in the playoffs?

It was rather obvious after he earned that 10 game suspension that he had to dial back the hitting part of his game.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
MacDonald is fine as a 3rd pair D-man who also blocks shots on the PK.
Hopefully, Myers doesn't struggle like Sanheim and starts playing 20+ minutes by January.
And Sanheim works out seriously this summer and returns with 'tude in the D-zone.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It was rather obvious after he earned that 10 game suspension that he had to dial back the hitting part of his game.

He had to dial the "stupid" part of his game, he didn't get suspended for hitting someone, he got suspended for an attempted decapitation.
Hagg hit a lot yet didn't pick up many penalties (238 hits, 32 PIM), for all his flaws, that tells me he's pretty smart.
Gudas on the other hand, seems to struggle to resist throwing an elbow or hitting someone without the puck, or boarding players.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Realistically, you have to have 7 defensemen, when was the last season the top six played 80 games or so? Injuries will happen.
When Morin is ready to play, you can look at TDL moves.
Gudas or MacDonald could have real value for a playoff contender that lost a top 4 defenseman.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
It's not a question of Mac being tradeable -- he is. If a Cup contending team can trade for Dan Girardi, some crap team can use MacDonald.

The Flyers clearly value MacDonald as a "shutdown" defender and rookie whisperer.

Wasn't Girardi bought out by the Rangers, then signed with Tampa for a contract $2.5M less per year? That wasn't a trade.

Similar player, so if the Rangers couldn't unload Girardi's $5.5M contract, and had to buy him out, I'd guess the same with MacDonald's $5M contract.

I also don't think Hextall would hesitate to trade MacDonald if he could. After all, he did send him to the minors two years ago.

Reactions: BrindamoursNose

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
I also don't think Hextall would hesitate to trade MacDonald if he could. After all, he did send him to the minors two years ago.

I don't agree with that. I don't think Hextall is actively looking to trade MacDonald. I do think he's trade able especially if there is retention.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Well, given Alt is gone, Morin is on IR, if they trade MacDonald, who is the 7th defenseman? And you must have one if you're a playoff team.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
He had to dial the "stupid" part of his game, he didn't get suspended for hitting someone, he got suspended for an attempted decapitation.

I figured you would need this dumbed down...

His suspension wasn't for a hit, but the suspension was so severe than Gudas realized that if in the future he miss-timed or miss-directed a hit and got suspended again, the punishment would be disproportionately severe.

Reactions: Ruck Over

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008

Girardi was a free agent. Low risk signing.

Not exactly the same thing.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I figured you would need this dumbed down...

His suspension wasn't for a hit, but the suspension was so severe than Gudas realized that if in the future he miss-timed or miss-directed a hit and got suspended again, the punishment would be disproportionately severe.

The suspension was so severe both because the offense was so egregious, but also because Gudas had a history of cheap shots.
As Hagg shows, you can hit all day long as long as you know the rules and play by them.
The same way a form tackle in the NFL will never draw a penalty, but players insist on spearing opponents then complain the game is getting soft.

It's called "discipline," and it applies to hitting, stick checking, interference, etc.
Know the rules, know what will be called, and keep control of your stick and your emotions (if someone does you dirty, take their number, discuss it with your teammates and remember, "revenge is a dish best served cold").
One indicator of a smart player is he knows how to "cheat" without getting called on it.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Luke Schenn hit all the time and didn't get suspended. Just doing that doesn't make you a good defenseman.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Didn't say it made you "good," it made you smart.
You can be a smart player and still be athletically challenged. That probably describes a lot of AHL players like Knight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad