Confirmed with Link: June 2016: Flyers Sign Radko Gudas To Multi-Year Extension

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
With making the playoffs this year, they aren’t going to want to take a step back next year. Now based off of this year they still believe MacDonald is a better player so that’s something, but trading Gudas before MacDonald would be a mistake. I know Gudas has had some individual gaffes lately that have stuck in people’s minds, but he’s still a good player. If you want a reason for the dropoff, look at who he has and hasn’t played with this year. Less than 20% of his 5v5 ice time has come with the top line on the ice. And I would imagine much of that was when they were [trying] to defend a lead. Compare that to MacDonald who has played more than 30% of his ice time with the top line on the ice.
It’s not what I think they should do but what I think they will do. With Morin on the roster, I think one of MacDonald and Gudas will be traded and as you said, they apparently value MacDonald more. Gudas is likely easier to trade. I think they will move him and sign a veteran 7th to move in and out of the lineup for whatever rookie is benched.

Cekmate

Nov 4, 2013
North Philadelphia
Serious question: When was the first time anyone thought Hagg was ahead of Morin? When he made the team?
Anyone with two eyes knows Morin is ahead Hagg. My point is that I think Hagg was chosen because he is viewed as having more of an offensive pedigree, and Hak's meh system relies on aggressive and offensively inclined d-men. Manning being played is more proof of that.
Are those two ways left and right in his own zone?
I'm talking more about pedigree. He was considered a two way type of D man when drafted. He shows that every once in a blue moon, but he's been developed into more of a defensive guy.
Somewhat, these guys suck but they're considered more offensively inclined than Morin

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Hagg was ranked ahead of Morin and Sanheim in October, and clearly Robert is not a better offensive player than Travis. They just liked him better overall at that point. In the last month Sanheim has moved ahead of Hagg on the depth chart, so that's progress.

In time Morin may move ahead of Hagg, but obviously he'll have to be healthy and on the Flyers roster and be used in the top 6 to do so. Realistically, this is probably the best defense we can hope to start next season with.

Provorov-Ghost
Sanheim-Gudas
Hagg/Morin-MacDonald

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Friedman being NHL ready at any point is still a huge question mark

I don't think it's a question mark at all, how good he'll be is the question.
He's improved substantially as the season progressed, has posted a solid Corsi and is adjusting to the pro game.
He had a solid college career, is short but relatively stout, and has above average speed.
Two years in the AHL is pretty normal for a defenseman who's not an elite prospect.

He's still only 22 despite 3 years in college.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Friedman has more talent than you'd think. I expected a better first AHL season, but the Phantoms are bringing him along slowly.

I think he could eventually become a poor man's Seidenberg in the NHL. He's not as good as Seidenberg, but he's the kind of defenseman who has skills, is short but thick, and could find himself the odd man out, and then end up carving out an NHL career elsewhere. If Trevor van Riemsdyk can become a regular NHLer, I think Friedman can, too.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Gudas has turned into a weak link in this lineup.

The game has gotten faster but he can't keep up with. If his skating was the only downside I could live with it but it's his puck handling and decision making that worry me.
His right handed shot and Veteran status will grant him another year or two with the Flyers but it's a shame they can't replace him from within.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
They can, and they won't
Morin is always hurt, every game that he plays is a bonus. Friedmann has been having a hard time adjusting to the pro game, will need at least one more season in the AHL.

Fingers crossed that Myers can make the team next season but he is hardly a shutdown defenseman. At best you may consider him two way.

Maybe Bernhardt or Kalynuk in a couple of years... who did I miss?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
SORRY IF THE BUMP GIVES ANYONE A HEART ATTACK!

There was a new short interview with Gudas at sport.cz, in just a few answers he claimed he is sad hockey is not as hard as it used to be :) Rough translation below

Q: On Saturady you have made an important step towards the play offs when defeating the Bruins. Do you feel like being in already? V sobotu jste udělali hodně důležitý krok k postupu výhrou nad Bostonem. Cítíte, že už to máte v kapse?
A: Officialy we are not celebrating anything yet - but we have known that if we defeat the Bruins, advancing to the play offs is very likely. It's not 100% certainty yet but Florida would need to win all of their five games and we would have lose everything we could. I think boys subconciously know the win meant play offs for us. Maybe there will be a little bit of time to celebrate but now we have to focus on the Islanders with whom we play on Tuesday. Oficiálně ještě neslavíme, ale věděli jsme, že když porazíme Bruins, tak už to play off snad máme. Není to stoprocentní, ale Florida by musela vyhrát pět zápasů a my všechno prohrát. Myslím si, že naši kluci podvědomě vědí, že ta výhra pro nás znamená play off. Na nějakou oslavu snad vyjde chvilka, teď ale ne, v úterý hrajeme s Islanders.

Q: Did you pay a lot of attenion to Florida who is the only team to watch out for right now? Sledovali jste hodně, jak si vede Florida, která vás jako jediná ještě může ohrozit?
A: More than anything we have focused on ourselves. Only relying on others could be dangerous because we might not get into shape then - and we would get kicked out of the play offs real fast. That's why the coach kept telling us to focus on our own performace. Honestly, guys did watch the Jersey trip on the West coast anyway. The end of the regular season is very difficult for Florida, 2 more games with Boston coming up, which must be hard on them. On the other hand, we have known our schedule is favorable. Spíš jsme se soustředili na sebe. Kdybychom to nechávali na ostatních, tak by se nám to nemuselo vyplatit, protože bychom se nemuseli dostat do stoprocentní formy na play off a pak bychom asi rychle vyletěli. Takže nám trenér vtloukal do hlavy, abychom si dávali pozor na vlastní výkon. Všichni ale stejně koukali, jak se bude dařit New Jersey na západním pobřeží. Florida má hrozně těžký konec sezóny, hraje ještě dvakrát s Bostonem, takže pro ně je to docela záhul. My naopak věděli, že máme docela dobré rozlosování.

Q: You have encoutnered a lot of barriers during the regular season: 10 games losing streak, ong term injuries to both starting goalies. However you are sill in play offs position. Would you say these issues made the team stronger? Během základní části vás potkávaly jobovky: série 10 porážek, pak dlouhodobá zranění obou gólmanů. Přesto jste na pozicích pro play off. Cítíte, že tyto problémy tým posílily?
A: Definitely. There are a few guys who are unfortunately in the press box right now but whenever they played, we have all seen they are NHL level players. Anyone could see how strong the team got immediately after the losing streak - we pushed harder, after Christmas our results were among the best in the league and in February we almost did not lose. It was great to see how the team started to pull for each other even more afterwards. We have got a lot of young guys here and that helped us. The youngsters saw the right direction we should go and we have benefited from that.

Q: The Flyers have quite a few very young defensemen. Do you feel as a mentor to them? Ve Flyers máte hodně mladé beky, cítíte, že pro ně fungujete jako mentor?
A: I am feeling old, you are right (laughter). We talked a bit with the head coach about how it well be necessary to help the young guys. It won't be easy for some of them, first NHL season and play offs already, a lot will be asked from .

Some very troubling answers in here that speaks to the mindset of this hockey club. They think they are in already. They are far from it.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
He's got to play with someone.

Hogberg is a good candidate in 2-3 years, problem is he's another LHD.
But starting for the SHL league champions at 18 is a pretty good sign.

Reactions: pmwlker

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
With Morin hurt to start the season, Gudas won't be moved.

Provy Ghost
Sanheim Gudas
Hagg AMac
Maybe Myers pushes Hagg to the #7....then AMac continues his rookie whisperer ways beside Myers.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
At least if MacDonald plays with Myers he won’t be able to whisper: “Give me ALL the one timers.”

Watching what happens with Myers and Hagg next season will be interesting. He’s so obviously able to play in the NHL, Morin won’t be ready, and he’s eating pixie dust by the fistful right now in the playoffs. But my guess is they find a way to jam Hagg in there, and he’s back with Ghost.

Reactions: Rebels57

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Myers will play next year, he might have been called up at some point, but he got dinged and only played 50 games.
The playoffs going 15 games or so has probably given him the inside track next season.
Now does he start on the 3rd pair and move up, or will they keep him with Sanheim?
But he pushes all the buttons, including "physical."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad