Jumpers Knee Brace Hockey Skating

jetsfan23

Jan 19, 2014
Manitoba
Hi folks

I have started wearing Patella jumpers knee braces to protect my MCL because I am trying to be a competitive golfer and can't have my knees messed up in my 2nd hobby. I am having trouble with skating as I think I must have been turning my knees in a bit to get more power. Is it just a matter of getting lower? Do you think I can get up to speed with the braces or should I try not playing with them again.

Thanks

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
This may get locked since youre asking medical advice but if the mods do allow this, do you already have knee problems? Google isnt really helping me exactly either. What specifically are you wearing?

jetsfan23

Jan 19, 2014
Manitoba
These are what I;m wearing. I am mostly asking about biomechanics of skating and how to get faster using these.

Attachments

• brace.jpg
    brace.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 6

Bruckuss

FML & FCF
Apr 1, 2012
Not Toronto
I'm not a physician or a trainer, but at 40ish and playing competitive volleyball for 20+ years, I know all about jumpers knee (and have had it assessed a few times during that span). Shooting pain, weakness and joint instability, etc. Specifically, I have the telltale "bump", or second knee cap, under the actual knee cap lol - "osgood schlatters"

Treatment was strengthening and conditioning, not wearing a knee sleeve as above. It comes and goes every few years still, and normally shows itself when i'm out of shape and still playing (volleyball) hard. If I am playing a tournament or something and want to stabilize the knee joint, I keep some hockey tape in my bag and apply a single wide strip, fully around my lower knee joint (in my case between the "two" knee cap bumps), at medium tension and under very slight knee bend. Literally, a 16" piece of white stick tape, wrapped around the lower leg - it adds some stability on the fly, works for me. Obviously not medical advice here....

I have played men's league hockey for a few years now (not while "injured" as above mind you), and have never aggravated, worsened or caused "jumpers knee" from skating or playing. In fact, I think skating itself is actually a great cross training activity for me, and strengthens the connecting areas of the knee to increase stability through a different range of motions.

Now, if you HAVE an existing MCL issue - definitely speak to someone on the physio/kinesiology/rehab side of things - all of the above could be completely wrong, and might do more harm than good.

IMO - Hockey shouldn't cause knee issues unless you take impact or have a bio mechanically "off" stride, sleeves are generally used WHILE rehabbing to add stability, they will not prevent injury per say. If anything, playing with knee sleeves, ankle braces, etc long term might do more harm than good, your body adapts to them and doesn't need to strengthen itself with the extra support present, and in hockey specifically - probably hurts your skating ability overall.

Strength training and conditioning would be the right way to avoid any issues long term IMO, especially if you are just trying to be preventative.

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
As someone who is coming back from a partial tear to the medial patellofemoral ligament, the main recovery is strength and conditioning. A brace, sleeve or strapping can be used to support, but that's it. It won't prevent injury.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad