GDT: Jumbo's 1500th game aka Sharks @ Stars

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
How many teams do you think have a legitimate chance at winning the Cup? I'd argue there's like 6 or 7.

In no particular order:

San Jose
Tampa Bay
Winnipeg
Toronto
Pittsburgh
Washington
Boston
Nashville

The other 23 teams are just mediocre, in my view.

At some point, things could potentially shift; one or two of these teams will likely fall out of this class by the trade deadline, and perhaps one or two stealth teams will join the pack of real contenders. But none of the teams that we have played against have any shot at becoming real contenders, in my view. And, so, it’s to be expected that we are well over .500, even in a fairly poor stretch, given where we should be ranked relative to our competition.

the sharks have not proven worthy of being on that list

They absolutely have. They rank 4th in the NHL with 22 playoff wins over the past 3 seasons; all of which came without Erik Karlsson.

In my view, a (weak) argument could have been made for them as a contender before Karlsson joined the team, but with Karlsson on the team, they are undoubtedly in that elite group of legitimate contending teams. The underlying metrics behind their first 15 games with Karlsson only strengthen that position.

Last edited:

Paka Ono

Pro Ice Girl Scout
Jun 29, 2011
SF
QQ?

Where did Suomela's nickname Shovels come from?

I love it, and was talking to a friend about it, and he asked and I didnt have an answer.

bluefunnel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2005
SNOG:

4-2 Sharks.

Thornton, Kane, Meier and Burns.

Benn and Radulov.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I dont understand the lovefest for Goodrow..
Dont need a grinder on Joe's line..
Agree about Chartier.
Goodrow has only been a 4th line player with the Sharks. He has never gotten a chance to be more than a grinder. He has more skill than he's shown.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad