Injury Report: Jumbo to IR ~10/6

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
Year(s) before Jumbo joined the Sharks, he had an infection from his gear. (Another reason the team steam cleans the guys' equipment regularly.)

Minor scratch became major infection. (Google search does not have one easily found article, but he was "injured" during practice January 2003, developed a MRSA infection and required intravenous antibiotics.)

Guessing they wanted to give him some fairly strong stuff to knock down the infection.

MRSA is pretty gnarly

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
I am not a doctor. Nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn. But, yeah, that does not sound minor.
A PICC line is just less invasive than a central line, and both are just ways to get IV drugs in over a longer period. Sometimes your traditional small peripheral IVs won't cut it. Or they are just being super aggressive with treating it, which is fine. Or he was super sick and they don't want to tell us. Which is fine, since he's on the trip now.

Reactions: slocal

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Jesus. You go punt that that little ****?
Hah no, they wont even tell you who did it at daycare. He had skin legions covering his whole body and crap. Daycare didnt use alcohol to clean it, they were like we washed it with soap!

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Hah no, they wont even tell you who did it at daycare. He had skin legions covering his whole body and crap. Daycare didnt use alcohol to clean it, they were like we washed it with soap!
I hope that daycare is closed now. Or at the very least hired a nurse or you know, someone to stop children from biting each other.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Pretty much everyone has it, too. It's just not active almost all the time.

The s****y thing about MRSA is that AFAIK it's one of the few drug-resistant bugs that can survive effectively in the community whereas most other drug-resistant bugs are generally outcompeted out in the community by bacteria that aren't drug-resistant.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
I hope that daycare is closed now. Or at the very least hired a nurse or you know, someone to stop children from biting each other.

Yah... no. In fact, every year since we've had to provide alcohol wipes to the class to make sure they have them because they will not. Mainly because it hurts and they do not want to hurt the kids or whatever. I told them "I don't care if it hurts, use the godamn alcohol thanks" and they have been ever since.

Thats ridiculous. Shouldn't the daycare or school or whatever pay for those bills?

Or the other parents! That's why they won't tell us who did it :P Biting in day care is a serious problem actually, both my kids got bit a LOT between the ages of 18m and 3 years. It's a tough thing to teach a 2 year old, they really are not in control of their faculties yet, and they really don't understand what consequences are (especially when you cannot punish them immediately).

My kids only ever bit someone a few times thankfully, and usually a retaliatory bite (when they got bit), but I have sympathy for parents of biters. That's a rough thing to deal with too.

OffSydes

#tank2014/5
Aug 14, 2011
Yah... no. In fact, every year since we've had to provide alcohol wipes to the class to make sure they have them because they will not. Mainly because it hurts and they do not want to hurt the kids or whatever. I told them "I don't care if it hurts, use the godamn alcohol thanks" and they have been ever since.

Or the other parents! That's why they won't tell us who did it :P Biting in day care is a serious problem actually, both my kids got bit a LOT between the ages of 18m and 3 years. It's a tough thing to teach a 2 year old, they really are not in control of their faculties yet, and they really don't understand what consequences are (especially when you cannot punish them immediately).

My kids only ever bit someone a few times thankfully, and usually a retaliatory bite (when they got bit), but I have sympathy for parents of biters. That's a rough thing to deal with too.

I'm dealing with this now.. My kid has bite a few people but its mostly in retaliation so its really hard get him to stop.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
I was not aware toddlers biting each other was that big of a problem.

My kid came home awhile back with a full set of teeth marks on his back. I'm like, how in the hell did that little brat bite you in the middle of the back? That's damn near impossible.

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
My daughters' preschool cancelled a few kids for biting.
I'm dealing with this now.. My kid has bite a few people but its mostly in retaliation so its really hard get him to stop.

I got an "incident report" for my daughter once and I was mortified. Then the staff told me the other kid totally deserved it. :laugh:

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco

ID studies have shown soap and water is superior to alcohol wipes and sanitizers.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Me and my wife decided to just have me work and live with a bit less money because of stories like these. Glad she was able to stay home while they were young.

Reactions: SonomaShark

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
ID studies have shown soap and water is superior to alcohol wipes and sanitizers.

I've read this yah, especially that Hydrogen Peroxide does nothing what-so-ever, but they washed it with soap and he got a staff infection, ever since we've made them use alcohol and no staff infection... I dunno what to say! Correlation does not equal causation and all that, but still. Maybe we should use iodine haha.

To get this back on topic, clearly some little shit bit Thornton's knee and gave him a MRSA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad