Injury Report: Jumbo to IR ~10/6

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA
Any medics in here know what would be likely cause of an infection so far removed from the actual surgery? Clearly not an issue of something getting into an open wound so had to come from fluid or something inside? Russia? Inquiring minds want to know.

Staph, and other bacteria, can travel through the bloodstream until it finds a joint, muscle or bone. There's strong blood flow near the ends of bones (see also joints), so the bacteria has an easier time finding its way to those areas.

(I once had a knee infection)

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Staph, and other bacteria, can travel through the bloodstream until it finds a joint, muscle or bone. There's strong blood flow near the ends of bones (see also joints), so the bacteria has an easier time finding its way to those areas.

(I once had a knee infection)

Pft. Infections like knees best because they are trying to take control of your body and the knees are the most useful joint for that. If given the chance, joe would eventually become a giant infection host.

Source: I saw a guy with a knee infection on tv once.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
People have reported on Torres' and Thornton's specific infections and that they are different? I did not know that. Maybe you can post up the source so the rest of us can get up to speed?

They don't have to report that the infections be different for anyone looking at the evidence to come to the very reasonable conclusion that the infections are different. When one replaces a ligament with a cadaver and that gets infected compared to repaired ligament getting infected, it means by default that the infections are different. It's not that difficult but you're being difficult on purpose.

Ukapitalo

Jul 5, 2009
Santa Cruz, CA
Do we know for sure it's the knee that he recently had surgery on? Kurz seems to assume so in that tweet.

Post-op infections are nothing to brush off, I got staph after a surgery and didn't get it checked out right away and my surgeon was pissed... he eventually just cut it out since it was close to the surface.

I'm guessing this will put him out ~1 month, but still, glad to hear it's not structural.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Do we know for sure it's the knee that he recently had surgery on? Kurz seems to assume so in that tweet.

Post-op infections are nothing to brush off, I got staph after a surgery and didn't get it checked out right away and my surgeon was pissed... he eventually just cut it out since it was close to the surface.

I'm guessing this will put him out ~1 month, but still, glad to hear it's not structural.

My son got bit by another kid at daycare and got a staff infection. Took weeks to get rid of it and over a thousand dollars in hospital Bill's. His entire body broke out in festering rashes. It was horrible

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
They don't have to report that the infections be different for anyone looking at the evidence to come to the very reasonable conclusion that the infections are different. When one replaces a ligament with a cadaver and that gets infected compared to repaired ligament getting infected, it means by default that the infections are different. It's not that difficult but you're being difficult on purpose.

No, they don't. Stop it.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Since the sharks are not going to release any of this information publicly this is all speculation, but it is possible for Torres and Thornton to have different infections. If Thornton did a patellar tendon graft reconstruction it’s possible for the infection to be around the patellar tendon and not the ACL. Torres we know had a cadaver tendon put in, and that’s what got infected. Infections at different sites with different complications, treatments etc.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
You really need to stop trying to cut everyone down just because you're too lazy to do the research and come to the correct conclusion.

How would researching this help me definitively conclude whether it is a different strain of bacteria that caused Thornton's infection than Torres'?

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
wasn't it Torres' 41 game suspension that occurred in a preseason game the real catalyst to his retirement? I know he missed a whole season, but i always felt it was his inability to play safe that pushed him out, not the injury

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
An infection from a cadaver is completely different from an infection from a repair....

Based on what little I know on the topic, 1) most ACL reconstruction-related infections are caused by the same sort of bacteria (e.g. staph) that commonly cause infections in other sorts of surgical procedures, and 2) these sorts of infections are predominantly caused by outside factors (prior medical history, deficiencies in instrument sterilization protocol) and graft type isn't a significant factor.

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
Sharks need to think about trading for a 2C/3C tweener. Jumbo's health can't be counted on. I guess Pavs could be the 2C but we'd need to trade for a top 6 winger to take Melker's spot on Pavs' wing.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Based purely on the fact that your body isn't going to reject your own repaired ligaments, yeah a cadaver ACL is much different.

Also yeah since his leg has been opened up he's more prone to infection, but it would be real weird for it to actually be related to the surgery he received. It's probably just spread from a different site and seeded through his blood to his knee since the anatomy is changed and bacteria can get to places they couldn't before.

Source: I play a medical doctor at a hospital 5-6 times per week

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
How would researching this help me definitively conclude whether it is a different strain of bacteria that caused Thornton's infection than Torres'?

Even if you assume that it is somehow the same strain of infection, it's not infecting the same thing so it's not the same issue no matter how you slice it.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad