Jumbo ties Mr Hockey, 9th most assists.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Great achievement and under appreciated as noted above.

I think he might catch Steve Yzerman for 8th and maybe Oates next year for 7th but I doubt he catches Coffey.

Reactions: Frosty415

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
Easy, easy, 1st ballot Hall of Fame player. To be nearly a PPG player over 1500+ games during a career that spans the Dead Puck era, along with missing 1.5 years of his prime due to lockouts is absolutely nuts. I can't even imagine what his point totals would be if he'd played in the 1980's, say. Even just without the lockout, he'd probably be pushing 1600 points, which would have him in the top-10 all time. On top of being a legend on the ice, he's one of the classiest people in all of hockey off of it too. Been a complete pleasure being able to watch him play since he's been a Shark.

CaptainShark

Sep 25, 2004
Fulda, Germany
One of the GOATs for sure...

I thought he was done earlier this season as he struggled heavily after his 2nd major knee surgery within a calendar year, but the bye week and all star game break did wonders to his health. Could see him play at least another year as a depth center (3rd line +PP).

Reactions: Phu

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
It's painful watching Thornton play for the Sharks this year. The Sharks are absolutely burying Thornton this year with 3 minutes less ice time, terrible linemates and a reduced powerplay role. Thornton is just 10th on the Sharks in Points and he looks dead inside playing on that 3rd line trying to get a bottom 6 jobber like Kevin LaBanc to score goals... :(

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
It's painful watching Thornton play for the Sharks this year. The Sharks are absolutely burying Thornton this year with 3 minutes less ice time, terrible linemates and a reduced powerplay role. Thornton is just 10th on the Sharks in Points and he looks dead inside playing on that 3rd line trying to get a bottom 6 jobber like Kevin LaBanc to score goals... :(
Wow I didn’t know someone could make so many inaccurate statements in one post. Well done sir

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
May his career be as long as his beard, amen. Feel like he's kinda the last of an era in some ways.

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia

Wow... Just so wrong.

Yes, Jumbo is having a reduced ice time and role - because he is 39 years old and coming off two knee surgeries, whilst younger players like Logan Couture and Tomas Hertl are taking on the harder minutes and opposition.

As for calling Lebanc a bottom 6 jobber is just ridiculous. He has 36 points in 56 games with 27 assists. He is scoring at a faster pace than Jumbo with less TOI.

The fact that Jumbo is equal 9th in points on the Sharks says more about the depth of the team. It's not a bad thing when the players above him are Burns, Hertl, Couture, Pavelski, Meier, Kane, and Karlsson.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
one of the greatest playmakers of our generation.
Depending how far back "this generation" goes,
I would go as far as to say the greatest playmaker of this generation!

I don't think Henrik Sedin, Nicklas Backstrom, Martin St Louis or even Crosby can be said to be better playmakers ? Who is up there in playmaking to challenge Thornton?

Brownies

Depending how far back "this generation" goes,
I would go as far as to say the greatest playmaker of this generation!

I don't think Henrik Sedin, Nicklas Backstrom, Martin St Louis or even Crosby can be said to be better playmakers ? Who is up there in playmaking to challenge Thornton?
Crosby for sure is in the talk. Maybe Getzlaf but a clear step behind. As far as pure playmakers, I think you have to go back to Adam Oates personally. Loved watching both set up crazy goals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad