Jumbo Joe... first hat trick in 3037 days!

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Is it happening tonight? The long awaited celly?

thornton-rooster.0.png

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
Got to be one of the longest time inbetween hattricks. But I think Jagr might have him beat with that last hattrick he scored.

Overall Thornton is probably one of the top 5 oldest to score a hattrick too.

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
pretty wild this heroic legend is pacing like 50ish points in his 40 year old season after knee surgery wow
Would be doing even better if the Sharks wasn't holding him back. Can you believe they didn't even give Thornton 15 minutes on the ice despite putting up a hattrick?! Thornton would have 10-15 more points right now this season if he was playing on any other team in the League...

Reactions: SenzZen

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Would be doing even better if the Sharks wasn't holding him back. Can you believe they didn't even give Thornton 15 minutes on the ice despite putting up a hattrick?! Thornton would have 10-15 more points right now this season if he was playing on any other team in the League...
you think the sharks might know what thornton is capable of and when it is necessary to ride him and not?

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
you think the sharks might know what thornton is capable of and when it is necessary to ride him and not?
The Sharks want to avoid having to sign Thornton again next year. They're afraid they'll end up like the Ducks after they kept on to Selanne. Instead they want to be like the Flames who got rid of Iginla. If Thornton puts up just 45 Points this year it's easy to let him go...

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
The Sharks want to avoid having to sign Thornton again next year. They're afraid they'll end up like the Ducks after they kept on to Selanne. Instead they want to be like the Flames who got rid of Iginla. If Thornton puts up just 45 Points this year it's easy to let him go...

I don't buy that. He will forever be a Shark. They already let Marleau leave.

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
I don't buy that. He will forever be a Shark. They already let Marleau leave.
Well that should tell you that the Sharks don't have any respect for their all time greats. Marleau had the most Points, goals and games played for the Sharks and the Sharks still let him go. Add on top of that the fact that Marleau has a good chance at becomming the all time leader in games played. But the Sharks still didn't care enough to keep him.

Nashology

Dec 21, 2006
Well that should tell you that the Sharks don't have any respect for their all time greats. Marleau had the most Points, goals and games played for the Sharks and the Sharks still let him go. Add on top of that the fact that Marleau has a good chance at becomming the all time leader in games played. But the Sharks still didn't care enough to keep him.

You sound like a conspiracy theorist. I bet you also believe the moon landing was faked right ?

Thornton plays so little because he is 40. They have a top 3 offence in the league. They have 8 players tracking for 50 pts. He just had two major knee surgeries. I could go on and on. I am sure they know what they are doing. Atleast they know better than some random on a message board.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
You sound like a conspiracy theorist. I bet you also believe the moon landing was faked right ?

Thornton plays so little because he is 40. They have a top 3 offence in the league. They have 8 players tracking for 50 pts. He just had two major knee surgeries. I could go on and on. I am sure they know what they are doing. Atleast they know better than some random on a message board.
And marleau's contract didn't fit in their structure. it was going to be patty or jumbo past the following season and that decision is easy.

Reactions: Sandisfan

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Not at all a similar situation to Iginla

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013

First of all Thornton is just 39. And being old and having knee surgery doesn't mean you should play less. A 40 year old Selanne played 17:56 per game and finished 8th in scoring back in 2010-11 while missing 9 games because of hip problems. Selanne had also gone through multiple knee surgeries himself. If Selanne could play 2 and a ½ minutes more while being 1 year older than Thornton, it's clear that the Sharks are holding Thornton back.

Hell, Thornton has even been picking up his pace lately with 14 Points in his last 14 games, but he's still been playing only 15:28 per game in those games. Thornton deserves better than this...

#FreeJoeThornton

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
3037 days since Joe Thornton's last hat trick (which was against martin brodeur). ironically against his former team the Bruins.

The longest streak I could find is Brian Rolston (who did this on November 16th, 1996, and then on November 5th, 2005 - a span of 3,276 days).

Jagr had a 3,209 day break between hat tricks (March 22nd, 2006 to January 3rd, 2015).

Radek Dvorak is just behind, with a 3,202 day break (March 29th, 2001 to January 3rd, 2010).

Martin Havlat had a break of 3,082 days (November 2nd, 2005 to April 11th, 2014).

I think Thornton is 5th on this list.

Other long streaks (minimum 2,000 days):
  • Rod Brind'Amour 2,931
  • Marc Savard - 2,866 days
  • Richard Zednik - 2,653 days
  • Stu Barnes - 2,536 days
  • Rod Brind'Amour 2,484
  • Luc Robitaille - 2,296 days
  • Dave Andreychuk - 2,157 days (the latter was a 4 goal game)
  • Wayne Gretzky - 2,149 days
  • Cory Stillman - 2,130 days
  • Vincent Lecavalier - 2,055 days
That's not a typo re Rod Brind'Amour. He had three hat tricks in his career - December 29th, 1992; January 7th, 2001; and October 27th, 2007.

Last edited:

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
wow. thread worthy.

3037 days since Joe Thornton's last hat trick (which was against martin brodeur). ironically against his former team the Bruins.

2010... I was 15 at the time, scooting down the sidewalk on my Razor scooter blasting some TiK Tok by Ke$ha.

been a long time coming. congrats jumbo.

Brodeur played for the bruins?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->