GDT: July 1st - Free Agent Frenzy - Tavares to Toronto 7 years

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
The Bruins top 3 scores will have more points at the end of the year than the Leafs top 3. The Leafs are thin on D and rely heavily on their goalie.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
You`d think ROR is a lock for a 1st ballot HOF vote with that return:huh:
They got a first and Tage Thompson.

Berglund and Sobotka are salary dumps. And a second round pick THREE drafts from now.

For their best player.

No that return SUCKS and I'd be livid if I cared about that team.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
They got a first and Tage Thompson.

Berglund and Sobotka are salary dumps. And a second round pick THREE drafts from now.

For their best player.

No that return SUCKS and I'd be livid if I cared about that team.

He was a seemingly unhappy player and preferred to go elsewhere.

I like the fact the Sabres decided there was more to gain from moving him now and not having the situation linger into the season. Make the best deal you can and move on.

Fans get way to caught up in maximizing the "price" to acquire a player. Now the Sabres as a group can move forward without the threat of some eventual O'reilly trade hanging over them.

Reactions: sarge88

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
He was a seemingly unhappy player and preferred to go elsewhere.

I like the fact the Sabres decided there was more to gain from moving him now and not having the situation linger into the season. Make the best deal you can and move on.

Fans get way to caught up in maximizing the "price" to acquire a player. Now the Sabres as a group can move forward without the threat of some eventual O'reilly trade hanging over them.
Oh I don't disagree with the decision to move on. There's something that stinks about O'Reilly and I can't figure it out. Don't like how went about things in Colorado. Don't like this.

But that return sucks. And a team that can ill-afford to, takes a significant hit in the short-term. I wouldn't be happy.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Oh I don't disagree with the decision to move on. There's something that stinks about O'Reilly and I can't figure it out. Don't like how went about things in Colorado. Don't like this.

But that return sucks. And a team that can ill-afford to, takes a significant hit in the short-term. I wouldn't be happy.

I'm with you.

I don't like Thompson as a player . Maybe he can develop into a second line scorer, but I think he is always going to be limited

And the pick will likely be in the 20s, an yet that is probably the best asset they will get

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Jersey number speculation, anyone?

Halak's safe with his old 41 from NYI, if he keeps it.

John Moore wore a 2 in New Jersey....obviously, that ain't happening. Is it too soon for 22? It feels like just about enough time...

Chris Wagner and Szwarz both wore 21. Got to think Wagner's one-way trumps a two-way, right? (They're also born 13 days apart, and are within 1 inch and 2 pounds of each other. Eerie.)

Joakim Nordstrom isn't getting 42 from Backes. Can't invert it because of Terry. Can't take 40 or probably 41. And 43 is Heinen. Maybe 44?

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
I’ve always liked Tavares, who now carries the second highest cap hit in the league.

16th in scoring last year. Lotta dough for anyone not named McDavid or Crosby.

Marchand and Pasta had similar point totals last year. At cap hits nearly $5m less.

Just a reminder, if there is any lament about not getting Tavares, that Donny’s resume includes those two key deals.

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
I’ve always liked Tavares, who now carries the second highest cap hit in the league.

16th in scoring last year. Lotta dough for anyone not named McDavid or Crosby.

Marchand and Pasta had similar point totals last year. At cap hits nearly $5m less.

Just a reminder, if there is any lament about not getting Tavares, that Donny’s resume includes those two key deals.

Tavares is certainly a good player but I'm not a fan of an $11 million contract for Boston. Seems way unbalanced.

bolt thrower

No war!
Aug 26, 2006
Who cares about Tavares if we get Seguin back next year, which I am pretty sure we do.

I guess I have to stay away from hfboards for quite a while, those Leafs fans were already insupportable before but know with Tavares it's just unbearable. I have never seen a fanbase so cocky, even the Habs fans don't show such an arrogance.

FribbleLine

Jul 13, 2014
Ocean State
Who cares about Tavares if we get Seguin back next year, which I am pretty sure we do.

I guess I have to stay away from hfboards for quite a while, those Leafs fans were already insupportable before but know with Tavares it's just unbearable. I have never seen a fanbase so cocky, even the Habs fans don't show such an arrogance.

I follow Ty Anderson on Twitter. The Leafs fans replying to him are beyond insufferable. I can't believe how arrogant that fan base is. It didn't stop there either, he had some clown Tampa fan spewing the 'Boston is racist' narrative again and we are uneducated fans.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I follow Ty Anderson on Twitter. The Leafs fans replying to him are beyond insufferable. I can't believe how arrogant that fan base is. It didn't stop there either, he had some clown Tampa fan spewing the 'Boston is racist' narrative again and we are uneducated fans.
The abuse he gets is ridiculous. That fan base is pathetic

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Jersey number speculation, anyone?

Halak's safe with his old 41 from NYI, if he keeps it.

John Moore wore a 2 in New Jersey....obviously, that ain't happening. Is it too soon for 22? It feels like just about enough time...

Chris Wagner and Szwarz both wore 21. Got to think Wagner's one-way trumps a two-way, right? (They're also born 13 days apart, and are within 1 inch and 2 pounds of each other. Eerie.)

Joakim Nordstrom isn't getting 42 from Backes. Can't invert it because of Terry. Can't take 40 or probably 41. And 43 is Heinen. Maybe 44?
I say

Wagner - 22
Halak - 41
Moore - 44
Nordstrom - 59

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad