GDT: July 1st - Free Agent Frenzy - Tavares to Toronto 7 years

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Reed mentioned the bruins having interest in Panarin.... as I’m sure many other teams do as well

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
Shocked especially after beagle and Ryan. Low aav, best UFA signing today imo.

On no planet should Ryan and Beagle get more term and money than Nash.

I would have liked to have kept him at that price, but am willing to wait out to see what the Bruins do.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Shocked especially after beagle and Ryan. Low aav, best UFA signing today imo.
originally reported 2.4 but is actually 2.75. Still would gladly give him that deal.

If the Bruins don't make a big move soon I'm really underwhelmed by this offseason.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Larry Brooks unloads on Islanders' ownership

https://nypost.com/2018/07/01/the-islanders-blew-the-john-tavares-sweepstakes-months-ago/

Scott Malkin takes the hit for the franchise’s latest debacle. For it was the principal owner who allowed John Tavares to hold the Islanders hostage throughout a season in which No. 91 refused to commit to an extension even while the clock mercilessly ticked off the final year of his contract.

Whether a representation of ownership naivete, arrogance or foolhardiness, the organization got suckered after Malkin forbade then-general manager Garth Snow to shop Tavares as a trade-deadline rental following months in which the captain and his agent whispered sweet words of nothing into the owner’s ears.

And now he is gone, gone for nothing in return, off to Toronto, where he can establish his legacy as an all-time Maple Leaf if he can help his hometown team end a Stanley Cup drought that reaches back 51 years to 1967, the last year of the Original Six.

It made perfect sense for the Islanders to give Tavares, probably the second-best non-dynasty player in their history behind Pat LaFontaine (Pierre Turgeon comes mighty close), all the leeway in the world until their long-term arena situation was resolved.

But once they won the Belmont bid on Dec. 20, the Islanders not only had every right to apply some pressure to Tavares, they had an obligation to do so. From that moment on, ownership and management were in a need-to-know situation. If he wouldn’t sign, they needed to trade him. This, by the way, is not a second-guess. I wrote as much numerous times throughout the season.

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
now the third best team in the Atlantic (on paper) and I don't see how anyone could argue otherwise

something needs to happen or we waste our last few years of elite Bergeron/Marchand being elite players

Panarin trade would be ideal. If not, take another flyer on Rick Nash

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
The Leafs are going nowhere with that defense and Andersen. They'll score 300 goals and win games 6-5 in the regular season, but they have no defense and will be beaten by a gritty team in the playoffs again. Then when Nylander/Marner/Rielly/etc. are due for raises in their RFA years, there's no cap left. Team's going to implode and it's going to be glorious.

Bruins should make a trade around Krug and Panarin and we'd be back in business.

Reactions: A1LeafNation

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
now the third best team in the Atlantic (on paper) and I don't see how anyone could argue otherwise

something needs to happen or we waste our last few years of elite Bergeron/Marchand being elite players

Panarin trade would be ideal. If not, take another flyer on Rick Nash

Rick Nash? The same Nash who is considering retirement and didn't sign today because of it?

Reactions: N o o d l e s

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
The Leafs are going nowhere with that defense and Andersen. They'll score 300 goals and win games 6-5 in the regular season, but they have no defense and will be beaten by a gritty team in the playoffs again. Then when Nylander/Marner/Rielly/etc. are due for raises in their RFA years, there's no cap left. Team's going to implode and it's going to be glorious.

Bruins should make a trade around Krug and Panarin and we'd be back in business.

Devil's advocate, people said this about the Pens a lot. Didn't prevent the cups.

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
Rick Nash? The same Nash who is considering retirement and didn't sign today because of it?

Yes that Rick Nash, the one that scored over 20 goals last year in a season shortened by a concussion

That Rick Nash that is the only half decent RW left on the market

Glad I could clarify

Reactions: TD Charlie

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
Yes that Rick Nash, the one that scored over 20 goals last year in a season shortened by a concussion

Glad I could clarify

Neal is pretty good but not only do I hate his guts but he's gonna get way more than I'd be comfortable paying.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

Glad I could clarify

So the Rick Nash that is contemplating retirement and forewent FA today because of that contemplation. Did you ignore that key part?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->