GDT: July 1st - Free Agent Frenzy - Tavares to Toronto 7 years

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Moral of the story is not to let your franchise player enter his UFA season unsigned.

Have to either extend while you have control over the asset or trade for at least some value before you’re left holding the bag, which in this case was a playoff DNQ.
Ala Columbus with Panarin. They’re not messing around and I don’t blame them

bruins4thecup65

Jun 27, 2011
Tavares just followed the Bruins twitter feed. It came down to us or them. Please be respectful and do not bash JT91 on twitter or here.

JT to me simply replaces JVR. I don't think Toronto is any better today than yesterday. And they are going to have huge problems signing the players they need to sign next year.

Let's go ALL IN on Austin Mathews

Reactions: A1LeafNation

bruins4thecup65

Jun 27, 2011
Tavares should have told the NYI that he wanted out which would have given NY an opportunity to move him at the deadline.

As it stands they have lost him for no assets returned. I'd be pissed of I was an Islanders fan.

BruinsPortugal

Dec 3, 2009
Portugal
Well if that’s his dream I can understand. I guess he was indecisive between winning a cup and fulfilling a childhood dream. Not gonna hate on that.

Some guys are winners, some aren’t. It is what it is.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Gotta feel for islander fans.

He fleeced them way back in February.

Actually annoyed for them and HATE that he went with TOR. I really just wanted him to go anywhere other than that
Leafs fans are gonna be crazy unbearable about it

Reactions: A1LeafNation

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
If he had told NYI to move him earlier, people would have said that he lowered his value for the Islanders because they had to move him. Can’t really win so I feel he played it right.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
So Far:
Jul 1 2018

In

227px-Boston_Bruins.svg_.png

John Moore, D
Signed a 5 year $13.75 million contract with Boston (BOS)
Joakim Nordstrom, LW
Signed a 2 year $2million contract with Boston (BOS)
Jaroslav Halak, G
Signed a contract with Boston (BOS)
Chris Wagner, C
Signed a 2 year $2.5 million contract with Boston (BOS)

OUT:

Tommy Cross, D
Signed a 1 year $650,000 contract with Columbus (CBJ)
Nick Holden, D
Signed a 2 year $4.4 million contract with Las Vegas (VGK)
Anton Khudobin, G
Signed a 2 year $5 million contract with Dallas (DAL
Tim Schaller
has agreed to a two-year, $3.8 million contract with the Vancouver Canucks.
Austin Czarnik, C Tim Schaller
Signed a 2 year $2.5 million contract with Calgary (CGY)
Kenneth Agostino, LW
signed a 1 yr contract with Montreal
Riley Nash
has inked a three-year contract with the Columbus Blue Jackets.

Last edited:
Reactions: sooshii

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Wow 13+ is a big contact to walk away from.

Wonder what Toronto will do moving forward with the cap.

True, but I feel like the Leafs are maybe a little closer to winning a Cup than the Sharks. Add to that the "hometown/childhood dream" discount, and the amount he'd make up in endorsements, and it's tilted way towards Toronto. Unless you're really, really high on the Sharks, which I can sort of see...at least they did win a playoff round this year, which the Leafs didn't do. But the Leafs young core looks strong, and if they can trade out some of their extra offensive power to get some decent defense, they could break the '67 curse.

The one thing I wonder about is the stereotypical "Toronto media pressure cooker" everyone talks about. If you love the attention, it's great...for example, I'd think Marchand would actually thrive in TOR (or MTL, which has a similar media boiling pot). But I seem to think of Tavares and Bergeron as being cut from similar cloth, personality-wise - strong leaders, accepting the responsibility of dealing with the media, but not really actively seeking it out. I wonder how that aspect of the job is going to work out for Tavares - the moment he goes on an *insert number here*-game scoring slump, 7x11 is going to be shouted from the Toronto media rooftops.

Reactions: northeastern

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
JT signed with Toronto because their future looks good, he worshipped the team as a child and he will make a lot of money with endorsements.

The lure of being a part of bringing the Cup to Toronto for the first time in over 50 years is huge.

The Islanders arena problems certainly played into it as well.

Reactions: Clark4Ever and Cor

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
JT signed with Toronto because their future looks good, he worshipped the team as a child and he will make a lot of money with endorsements.

The lure of being a part of bringing the Cup to Toronto for the first time in over 50 years is huge.

The Islanders arena problems certainly played into it as well.

Kind of happy for the guy actually.

That said...f*** the Leafs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad