GDT: July 1st, 2018 - Canes Free Agency Thread

Which goalie do the Canes sign tomorrow?

• Total voters

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Challenge — without including our #2 overall picks of Staal and Svechnikov, identify any 4-year stretch of Hurricanes first rounders who we wouldn’t trade for Matthews and walk away laughing.

Necas-Bean-Hanifin-Fleury comes closest, but yeah. I still do that deal in a heartbeat.

Still, until I see an offer sheet like that actually happen, offer sheets are myths.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Challenge — without including our #2 overall picks of Staal and Svechnikov, identify any 4-year stretch of Hurricanes first rounders who we wouldn’t trade for Matthews and walk away laughing.
Can't do it, and that's a HUGE part of the problem with this franchise. Even dating back to when the team moved here in 97 we haven't been bad enough to land impact players. It took luck (shit luck in the case of injuries in 02-03 for Staal, ping pong balls for Svechnikov) to even sniff the #2 picks we did get. Had we kept the 2012 pick instead of the Jordan trade then Forsberg-Lindholm-Fleury-Hanifin is a no brainer to keep instead.
Edit: And that was assuming a best-case scenario. Had we taken Grigorenko as expected then Lindholm-Fleury-Hanifin-bust for Matthews is still a laugher.

Last edited:

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I totes forgot the "do unto others" dimension of the offer sheet: make the years so that the SPC ends right at the point when the player reaches UFA eligibility

Them TOR boys know that one is the odd man out now, and it's either Nylander or Marner.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I totes forgot the "do unto others" dimension of the offer sheet: make the years so that the SPC ends right at the point when the player reaches UFA eligibility

Them TOR boys know that one is the odd man out now, and it's either Nylander or Marner.

With their need at RHD I'm hoping we're looking at getting a deal around Faulk going for one of them (it's likely going to by Nylander).

On another note how bad is it that I actually want to see Mason as a camp invite at this point just in case Darling, even if he comes back in shape, is still utter dog shit as I expect? Can't say I'd mind us signing McCollum to a two-way for that purpose either as I still think Ned is another year away from being ready for a shot. Not happy that we couldn't at least offer Hutchinson what he got from Florida.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017

Does the do unto others aspect of an offer sheet even really apply in practice? Two of the most notable offer sheets I can remember were the Canes sheeting Fedorov and the Flyers sheeting Weber. I can't recall either team being hit with retaliatory offers after that.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
With their need at RHD I'm hoping we're looking at getting a deal around Faulk going for one of them (it's likely going to by Nylander).

On another note how bad is it that I actually want to see Mason as a camp invite at this point just in case Darling, even if he comes back in shape, is still utter dog **** as I expect? Can't say I'd mind us signing McCollum to a two-way for that purpose either as I still think Ned is another year away from being ready for a shot. Not happy that we couldn't at least offer Hutchinson what he got from Florida.

It's bad enough that I'm already scanning rosters for 3 goalies where someone would probably be exposed to waivers at the end of camp. See the Mrazek thread.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Does the do unto others aspect of an offer sheet even really apply in practice? Two of the most notable offer sheets I can remember were the Canes sheeting Fedorov and the Flyers sheeting Weber. I can't recall either team being hit with retaliatory offers after that.

I didn't mean a retaliatory counter-OS, but an OS that was made in order to foremostly screw the other team that can't afford to not match it, rather than actually getting the OSed guy to your team.

One that tips the contract balance for the player and away from the team.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Johnson might make sense for both sides

I proposed Johnson, Raddysh, Dotchin and a pick before you guys got De Haan.

What about Johnson, Raddysh and a 1st/2nd? I think highly of Faulk. A 3x 15 goal right handed shot that's in his prime, can move the puck and would get near McDonagh money is something I prefer over gutting us for Karlsson. What do you guys think about that?

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Gah this is so great.

Now we can trade Faulk and just get assets back. There’s no “hole” in the lineup anymore; if Faulk returns an NHL player (vs. futures), it’s an NHL player that is essentially bumping another NHL player down and/or out of the lineup. Not saying there aren’t weaknesses on the team, but there’s not any massive glaring holes either.

Wonder if they take advantage of that by using Faulk to take a shot at a goalie? No goalie move is a guarantee, but if there were ever a time we could take a risk with a major asset, it’s right now.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Gah this is so great.

Now we can trade Faulk and just get assets back. There’s no “hole” in the lineup anymore; if Faulk returns an NHL player (vs. futures), it’s an NHL player that is essentially bumping another NHL player down and/or out of the lineup. Not saying there aren’t weaknesses on the team, but there’s not any massive glaring holes either.

Wonder if they take advantage of that by using Faulk to take a shot at a goalie? No goalie move is a guarantee, but if there were ever a time we could take a risk with a major asset, it’s right now.
This was pretty much the exact thoughts I was having as I took my dog out for a walk a few minutes ago, and it had me grinning ear to ear. There are a lot of great possibilities for a Faulk trade now. This might also explain some of our patience on trades.

As for a Johnson for Faulk, or by all means Johnson+ for Faulk, I'd gladly do that.

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
I proposed Johnson, Raddysh, Dotchin and a pick before you guys got De Haan.

What about Johnson, Raddysh and a 1st/2nd? I think highly of Faulk. A 3x 15 goal right handed shot that's in his prime, can move the puck and would get near McDonagh money is something I prefer over gutting us for Karlsson. What do you guys think about that?

Yeah. I would really like that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad