Speculation: Julius Honka

member 262271

i liked him as a bottom pairing guy who could fill in on the second pairing sometimes in stl actually

he was playing above his head in toronto but he wasnt the disaster you guys make him out to be
I wasn't aware of how he was in STL so I was sort of putting the feelers out there. Definitely didn't like him in Toronto - I do hope he does well in Texas but man I don't miss him.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Why isn’t Honka playing? What’s the main problem with his game?

I remember him being a strong and confident puck mover, has his skill level really dropped that much or has Heiskanen helped make his eile redundant?

If it weren’t for Bouchard, I think Edmonton could have a use for him.

No idea what his value is.
If it weren't for Ethan Bear or Matt Benning .....nope, still no use for him.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Objectively worse? Honka scored 4 points in 42 games last year with 56% o-zone starts. Oleksiak is also 6'8" and can bring a physical presence when he's not scoring.

You are certainly allowed your own opinion but I have seen both on the ice multiple times and I would take Honka over Oleksiak 10 times out 10. It was the case when they were both in Dallas and its still the case now that they are on different teams

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
You are certainly allowed your own opinion but I have seen both on the ice multiple times and I would take Honka over Oleksiak 10 times out 10. It was the case when they were both in Dallas and its still the case now that they are on different teams

You're certainly entitled to your opinion and being a regular watcher of both carries subjective weight, but I'm taking issue with the idea that Honka is objectively better. I think that's very debatable, especially considering the other guy has objectively established himself as an NHL regular and is producing considerably better than Honka.

Oleksiak went for a 4th. I don't think Honka's going for more than that at this point...teams don't usually fall all over themselves trying to acquire small waiver-eligible PMDs who didn't produce in the pros the year before, young or not, 1st rounders or not. If they did, the Pens sure would have gotten more than a 4th and Pedan for Pouliot last fall.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Objectively comparing similar tier hockey players is nearly impossible. Not much of a point to it.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Objectively comparing similar tier hockey players is nearly impossible. Not much of a point to it.

Well, the idea was put out there that 1st rounders still have value that long after the draft and Honka was worth more than Oleksiak in spite of his lack of production in part because he was a lot younger. I'm just rebutting.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Another coach that likes Polak too much to realize he's terrible.

I'd take him on the Leafs. Ideally Hainsey goes first though. I actually think his game would really suit Riellys style of play as well.

You're not giving Hainsey nearly enough credit if you think a rookie who's played a little more than half a season in the NHL over his entire career is going to step in and play 20 minutes a night.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
You're certainly entitled to your opinion and being a regular watcher of both carries subjective weight, but I'm taking issue with the idea that Honka is objectively better. I think that's very debatable, especially considering the other guy has objectively established himself as an NHL regular and is producing considerably better than Honka.

Oleksiak went for a 4th. I don't think Honka's going for more than that at this point...teams don't usually fall all over themselves trying to acquire small waiver-eligible PMDs who didn't produce in the pros the year before, young or not, 1st rounders or not.
If they did, the Pens sure would have gotten more than a 4th and Pedan for Pouliot last fall.

I don't think he'd even go for that, and as you said, certainly not more than that. 42 games last season, and a whopping 4 points. That's not the end of the world if you're suppose to be a defensive D... when you're supposed to be a PMD offensive D... and you're under sized... that's really not enough.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
Ben Hutton 50% retained for Honka? Both seem to not be in the coaches good books, both could use a change of scenery

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Ok Thanks. I would've propose a deal between him and Scherbak if he was LD.
Why not? Honka is a lot better than Lernout and probably much better than Benn or Alzner on the right. I'd offer Scherbak for Honka without any issues. It isn't like Scherbak is worth much more anyway.

Reactions: Benstheman

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Honka might ride the pine but he isn't getting traded until Johns is back and when that is who the hell knows ? Post traumatic headaches isn't fun and not something with even really a timeline.

The team wasn't comfortable with the AHL callup options Bayreuther and Heatheringon so they aquired Carrick . Honka isn't getting traded .

Also have no idea why Dallas would want to aquire Leivo . We send similar AHL'ers/NHL 4th lines guys down . No need for Leivo who would just be waived .

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I think people and overthinking this healthy scratch Honka had...he had one bad practice and will still likely end up a lineup regular for the Stars this year. Monty isn't the type to keep him out like this he was really impressed with him in preseason

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad