Value of: Julius Honka

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
were Dallas fans not trying to substitute Honka for Heiskanen in the Karlsson talks? They were selling him hard as a top end prospect if I recall.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
were Dallas fans not trying to substitute Honka for Heiskanen in the Karlsson talks? They were selling him hard as a top end prospect if I recall.
Thats because he is the best D prospect in our system after Miro. Since the stars said heiskanen was untouchable then next best defensive piece we could offer in a trade would be Honka. Also made sense because of the fact that they are both RD so bringing in Karlsson would mean that we need to move Johns or Honka

His value is down league wide thanks to what Hitch did with him but Dallas isnt selling him at a low cost and he is still valuable to us becasue until he played under a coach who hates small players and creativity he looked like a legit top 4 player.

Reactions: Kcb12345

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Thats because he is the best D prospect in our system after Miro. Since the stars said heiskanen was untouchable then next best defensive piece we could offer in a trade would be Honka. Also made sense because of the fact that they are both RD so bringing in Karlsson would mean that we need to move Johns or Honka

His value is down league wide thanks to what Hitch did with him but Dallas isnt selling him at a low cost and he is still valuable to us becasue until he played under a coach who hates small players and creativity he looked like a legit top 4 player.

Yup. I remember Hitch refusing to play him in OT too. Ridiculous considering he is literally built for 3 on 3 hockey more than anyone on the team.

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
He is in a weird place where to the outside it looks like he is failing but I always hear Dallas fans saying that he is good. I think he could use a change of scenery.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
He is in a weird place where to the outside it looks like he is failing but I always hear Dallas fans saying that he is good. I think he could use a change of scenery.

Nope he needed a new coach which we now have. Every year Honka has been amazing, but once we stuck him with a dinosaur coach and gave him 13 minutes of ice time a game (some games far less) and scratched half the season he didn’t produce. This year I think we’ll see him in every game getting around 17 minutes a game he will do better.

Reactions: Kcb12345

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Surely by “Every year honka has been amazing”, you were referring to his ahl play, right?

Mostly in the AHL, but the previous year he had 16 games in the NHL and looked very good. This year he was asked to completely change his game from puck moving defenceman to chip the puck off the boards/don’t hold onto the puck.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Surely by “Every year honka has been amazing”, you were referring to his ahl play, right?
+ his end of season stint under Ruff. he was given the freedom to be his creative self in the AHL and for his limited time under Ruff. He looked great both times. Under Hitch it was just bad. Honka was drafted high because of his offensive instinct however when not allowed to skate and use his skill to move around people he isnt as effective. Problem is sometime his creativity turns into chances the opposite way, similar to how Subban can wow you one shift then trip over his feet when trying his 2nd 360 spin move in 5 seconds leading to a goal. The AHL and Ruff lived with the few mistakes because his offensive ability and transition ability far out weigh the number of times he will hurt the team. Hitch on the other hand just straight up wanted none of that in order to limit mistakes.

Mistakes were down but so was his offensive effectiveness because what makes him worthy of a 1st round talent was completely removed from the list of things he was allowed to try under Hitch.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Despite the overwhelming expectation that a new coach would do wonders for him and that he'd emerge this year... instead... it is more of the same - and maybe worse for Honka, alas. He is ready for that change of scenery trade now. Hopefully it is not too late and he can turn things around with a fresh start.

He ought to be included in a deadline deal. I would say the Stars are maybe lacking an identity in terms of 2nd line scoring, so if they can deal him as part of a deal to pick up a 2nd line scoring option as a rental player at the deadline (assuming they are still in a playoff race) that would be a reasonable plan.

Of course, if the Stars fall out of the playoff race, then things become a little trickier... maybe in that case he just gets traded for another player who has entered that "change of scenery" territory. :dunno:

DanCloutiers5hole

May 15, 2012
Van City
Depth scoring in a big way
Hmm Goldobin could be a your guy . He’s got talent and is a pretty good complimentary winger. He gets ripped for his defensive zone effort but I don’t think it’s as bad as the media portrays it. Both players are same age and have same issues with their respective clubs . What’s keeping Honka out of the lineup In DAL?

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
Hmm Goldobin could be a your guy . He’s got talent and is a pretty good complimentary winger. He gets ripped for his defensive zone effort but I don’t think it’s as bad as the media portrays it. Both players are same age and have same issues with their respective clubs . What’s keeping Honka out of the lineup In DAL?

I suppose that's a possibility, unless there was package involving honka thaaaat gets a note established scorer.

It's a combination of his lack of confidence/decision-making and the fact that there has been a lot of guys playing good hockey/deserving the ice time. I mean by some miracle Polak has disguised himself as a top 4 defender capable of eating 20+min per night.

Last game he had one of his better games so far, which could be him gaining some of his lost confidence. Ultimately he may need a full change of scenery to flourish. (Also got a bit banged up)

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
Great wheels, decent hands. Marginal slapper, not really strong along the boards, little hockey IQ.

Would be selling low now, but my hopes for him becoming a regular are all but over.

Fedun has played better..

Reactions: Dynamite Time

Rory

Jun 14, 2017
Despite the overwhelming expectation that a new coach would do wonders for him and that he'd emerge this year... instead... it is more of the same - and maybe worse for Honka, alas. He is ready for that change of scenery trade now. Hopefully it is not too late and he can turn things around with a fresh start.

He ought to be included in a deadline deal. I would say the Stars are maybe lacking an identity in terms of 2nd line scoring, so if they can deal him as part of a deal to pick up a 2nd line scoring option as a rental player at the deadline (assuming they are still in a playoff race) that would be a reasonable plan.

Of course, if the Stars fall out of the playoff race, then things become a little trickier... maybe in that case he just gets traded for another player who has entered that "change of scenery" territory. :dunno:
Honka, 1st, prospect, and some salary going back for Duchene or Stone would be what I’m looking for. Dallas can add a piece as well if need be. I know Ottawa fans will scream and expect the moon for these guys but they probably won’t resign and the best you can hope for is pick and prospect these days for a rental. young cost controlled players are a premium.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Great wheels, decent hands. Marginal slapper, not really strong along the boards, little hockey IQ.

Would be selling low now, but my hopes for him becoming a regular are all but over.

Fedun has played better..

He's got a great shot, but he's one of the worse players I think I've seen at getting it through to the net.

Reactions: Dynamite Time

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
He's got a great shot, but he's one of the worse players I think I've seen at getting it through to the net.
Not nearly as bad as Alex "cannot his the broad side of a barn" Goligoski. It would drive me nuts when he would fire shots from the blue line and it would routinely go 2-4 feet wide.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I still think the Senators circle back on him. Pretty clear need for a RHD if/when they move on from Ceci and he's cheap enough that he fits the organization's MO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad