Value of: Julius Honka

LehtsGoStars93

Jul 29, 2018
In my honest opinion Honka is worth more to the Stars than he is to other teams as his skill set is elite there’s just so much left for him to prove at the NHL level that we wouldn’t get anything in return worth moving him for. Plus I think he is poised for a breakout year under our new HC Montgomery.

Reactions: Dynamite Time

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Don't really see how he qualifies as a "project." Kid is 22 with some serious AHL seasoning and decent NHL experience. You can argue the trajectory of his development isn't as good as they may have hoped for, but not really what I'd term "project."

When I think "project," I picture a guy a year or two from bust label - Yakupov when the Oil finally dealt him.

Honka is part of the Stars future still.

Mathew Barzal

Walk It Like I Tocchet
Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Don't really see how he qualifies as a "project." Kid is 22 with some serious AHL seasoning and decent NHL experience. You can argue the trajectory of his development isn't as good as they may have hoped for, but not really what I'd term "project."

When I think "project," I picture a guy a year or two from bust label - Yakupov when the Oil finally dealt him.

Fair, will edit OP. Where do you guys place him value wise though - assuming he were expendable?

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Would cost more than anyone is willing to pay. He looked like he was developping very well year after year then Hitch came to town and straight up tried to coach the things that made him a 1st round pick out of his game. He broke his confidence and Honka looks like a fraction of the player that he did a year ago.

That being said he is our 3rd best RD signed and our new coach is one who is very much a big fan of Dmen who can move the puck regardless of size. Honka should get an opportunity to play his game this year and this is his chance to show he can still show that top 4 promise he had before. The gamble on him becoming that player is worth more to Dallas than anything an other team will offer

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Would be a bad idea to give up on him right now, especially with no good young RDs coming up. Obviously in a package deal though I'd give him up easily if it means we are getting a better RD back. He has the talent and ability to play at this level and put up points. He won't get that chance on a team that already has Klingberg though. He certainly isnt a bust imo. Check back again after this year though and we will see how he is. He is getting his shot this year for sure

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Honka is eligible for waivers. It will be interesting to see what happens with him.

Even if it doesnt work out in Dallas this season he still holds trade value considering he has the talent and skill to be a producer at this level. Some team will take advantage of that one day through trade if it doesn't work out here

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
People think Honka is so far behind on his development because he skipped the CHL after his draft.

Just because he went to the AHL the year after the draft and did extremely well at 19 in that league doesn't mean he isn't on a proper development path.

If he played two more WHL seasons, and two AHL seasons, and was going to make the NHL this year full-time people wouldn't bat an eye.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Heiskanen-Klingberg
Lindell-Honka.

Don't touch that top 4 Dallas. Just do not. With Nichuskin returning, Spezza BOUND to bounce back at least a little under a different coach and several young guys probably coming in and making an impact it would be hard for me to move any one of those four guys unless it's in a package for a star player

Reactions: olli

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
People think Honka is so far behind on his development because he skipped the CHL after his draft.

Just because he went to the AHL the year after the draft and did extremely well at 19 in that league doesn't mean he isn't on a proper development path.

If he played two more WHL seasons, and two AHL seasons, and was going to make the NHL this year full-time people wouldn't bat an eye.

Also teams would choose to take that route with a lottery first rounder almost 100% of the time if they could. AHL eligibility rules are wack

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Not interested in trading Honka right now unless it was in a package for a young top six forward or top four defenceman. His value isnt very high right now, but almost everyone on Dallas had a terrible year under Hitchcock so I’m wanting to see how he does ~16 minutes a game under a new coach. Monty seems like a coach that values possession a lot and that is Honka’s game. He likes to skate the puck out of his zone and he is very good at it.

LASTAR

Mar 9, 2004
It would take a young top 6 wing (who would fit well with what we have), a top 2 center, a young established #3 dman, or 2 first round picks... lots of options there

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Makes no sense for Dallas to sell when his value at its lowest, and he doesn't have much value to other teams right now (relatively speaking) because he had a underwhelming year- development or not, NHL is the end-goal for all players.

With all that Dallas has invested into him as a prospect, they are better seeing it out rather than selling low after his rookie season.

Worst case- whether he pans out or doesn't- you know he had every chance and aren't selling him short to another team where he becomes that caliber player you initially hoped for.

Best Case- his value rises

Reactions: eartotheground
Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
As others have said, his value would be fairly low to other teams right now, and this would be the perfect season for him to spend with the Stars. The RD depth chart has finally thinned out quite a bit - he's basically guaranteed third pairing minutes, and second pairing time is readily available if he outplays Johns. Montgomery is preaching a coaching style that should suit him perfectly, so this is probably the best chance he'll ever get to break out.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

Honka is waiver eligible. If he's not an NHL regular this year, he'd qualify as a 'project'.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
How about Bennett for Honka and a 2nd?

Would definitely not be adding to Honka to acquire Bennett. Would much rather pursue a young winger anyways. And as mentioned before not sure why this would interest the Flames anyways

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Honka is still a young player but it's getting late early. He has been a pro player for 4 seasons. He hasn't established himself as an NHL player yet. He can't be sent to the AHL without waivers. Any team acquiring Honka will have the same issue. Those players aren't usually worth much in a trade as the main piece. Montgomery will be his 3rd NHL coach too.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
A successful Honka benefits the Stars more than what he would return the Stars right now. Easy pass on trading him at this point in time.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Honka is waiver eligible. If he's not an NHL regular this year, he'd qualify as a 'project'.

I’m not disagreeing with your assessment/criteria, but in what situation does he not make that team? Barring a bunch of prospects on their ELC outplaying him (Heskainen being the only logical one), there’s only 5 guys ahead of him. At absolute worst he’s the 7th D - and that’s in a world where he can’t outplay Johns and Polak.

Reactions: Nerv

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->