News: Julius Honka has asked for a trade (did not get signed/traded before Dec 1st deadline)

serp

Jan 17, 2016
2nd? Really?

Just get a 3rd or 4th and be done with it

No reason to hurry. It's not a distraction on the team. Once teams hit injuries there might be someone desperate out there and you can still take a lesser deal in November.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
No reason to hurry. It's not a distraction on the team. Once teams hit injuries there might be someone desperate out there and you can still take a lesser deal in November.

I don't think any team is going to be desperate enough to pay that much for a guy like Honka. Every team has sufficient depth to replace an injured player about as well as Honka could.

A trade for Honka would 100% be about investing in whatever upside he possesses. I can tell you right now that there's not enough to garner a 2nd or 3rd round pick. Most offers are probably for a similar-aged prospect with some upside left who has struggled or has been blocked. An example from the Leafs would be Nic Petan.

I do not think the Leafs would be interested in a guy like Honka at all, but it does not help Dallas in any way to see Honka sitting without a contract or not playing at least in the AHL or Europe. He needs to play so he can start working up his defensive game to an acceptable NHL level. Cut ties and focus your efforts on a project which may still garner a strong return for Dallas down the line.

Reactions: NNCbama

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I don't think any team is going to be desperate enough to pay that much for a guy like Honka. Every team has sufficient depth to replace an injured player about as well as Honka could.

A trade for Honka would 100% be about investing in whatever upside he possesses. I can tell you right now that there's not enough to garner a 2nd or 3rd round pick. Most offers are probably for a similar-aged prospect with some upside left who has struggled or has been blocked. An example from the Leafs would be Nic Petan.

I do not think the Leafs would be interested in a guy like Honka at all, but it does not help Dallas in any way to see Honka sitting without a contract or not playing at least in the AHL or Europe. He needs to play so he can start working up his defensive game to an acceptable NHL level. Cut ties and focus your efforts on a project which may still garner a strong return for Dallas down the line.

That i'm not so sure about . Quite a few teams have pretty bad depth after their NHL guys.

Petan is basically the Leafs equivalent of someone like Tanner Kero on the Stars . Good AHL scorer . My believe he is an NHL player is very low. Not suitable for a bottom 6 role

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
That i'm not so sure about . Quite a few teams have pretty bad depth after their NHL guys.

Petan is basically the Leafs equivalent of someone like Tanner Kero on the Stars . Good AHL scorer . My believe he is an NHL player is very low. Not suitable for a bottom 6 role

Perhaps, but it's not like Honka is significantly upgrade on most depth players, and even if he was a good depth player, that's still not worth anything more than a late round pick. There are UFA's who can be better NHL options right now. Honka's main value is that he is still young enough with the type of upside that he may still become a somewhat useful player in the future, just like Petan (and why he is different than Kero, who is three years older and clearly an AHL player at this point in his career).

Regardless of your feelings on Petan, or players like him, I am just saying that is the type of return you could expect out of Honka right now and that it may be worth investing in a project of some kind that may work out in Dallas' favour, because at this point it does not look like it's going to work with Honka.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Perhaps, but it's not like Honka is significantly upgrade on most depth players, and even if he was a good depth player, that's still not worth anything more than a late round pick. There are UFA's who can be better NHL options right now. Honka's main value is that he is still young enough with the type of upside that he may still become a somewhat useful player in the future, just like Petan (and why he is different than Kero, who is three years older and clearly an AHL player at this point in his career).

Regardless of your feelings on Petan, or players like him, I am just saying that is the type of return you could expect out of Honka right now and that it may be worth investing in a project of some kind that may work out in Dallas' favour, because at this point it does not look like it's going to work with Honka.

Honka still has top 4 talent. His skating, puck-handling, and offensive ability are all good enough for that. The problem is that he doesn't think the game quickly enough, which results in missing offensive plays and major defensive gaffes. Three coaches here haven't been able to fix that with him, hence us moving on.

His talent might entice someone into thinking they could fix that. And it's possible, but I don't think it will happen. He can probably be fine in a limited, protected role on the bottom pairing, but it's that talent that I think GMJN is banking on getting a decent pick for.

Mick Jagr

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Jul 11, 2009
Peterborough, ONT
twitter.com
A 3rd for Honka is right on the money as far as value is concerned IMO.

Either that or flip him for Poolparty. I've said it multiple times in this thread but it makes too much sense not to explore.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
A 3rd for Honka is right on the money as far as value is concerned IMO.

Either that or flip him for Poolparty. I've said it multiple times in this thread but it makes too much sense not to explore.

Why does Edmonton do that? They’re full of D prospects.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Honka is a declining asset. Every day he doesn't play, his value drops. And I wouldn't expect a season overseas to salvage it. He'd have to really perform extremely well for that to happen, anyway. Honka's side was dumb not to just take their QO and get waived. But at this point Dallas is also being a little mean if they are setting the price as high as reported. He's already lost to the Stars. Trying to salvage a 3rd round pick or viable prospect in exchange for him is just a little unnecessarily petty at this point. If they could get a 7th rounder in 2023 they should just take it. Or if the farm team has any discernible needs, they should just take some minor league non-prospect return for Honka's rights, and call it a day. It would just be classy at this point to let him move on and take another kick at the can somewhere else. They shouldn't need to get anything of any significance in return for him. It's not likely he'll amount to anything now. But let him go try somewhere.

Reactions: Lurch

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Is Honka better than Slater Koekkoek? Swap head to head?

Stars can't have any actual money coming back in a Honka trade. Around 75k capspace left . Honkas rights are free . Koekkoek is not.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Stars can't have any actual money coming back in a Honka trade. Around 75k capspace left . Honkas rights are free . Koekkoek is not.
Then what happens if Honka decides to sign the QO?

(Like Brendan Perlini last week)

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Then what happens if Honka decides to sign the QO?

(Like Brendan Perlini last week)

Can't anymore at this point . It expired in July i think . He'd have to sign an actual contract offer from the Stars and they can't offer one with no capspace and likely won't either. A contract now could be the size of the QO but its not the actual QO

Rory

Jun 14, 2017
Can't anymore at this point . It expired in July i think . He'd have to sign an actual contract offer from the Stars and they can't offer one with no capspace and likely won't either. A contract now could be the size of the QO but its not the actual QO
Sure they can. LTIR. They will have some cap space now that the season started. Not saying it’s a good trade though just saying they can take money back.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Sure they can. LTIR. They will have some cap space now that the season started. Not saying it’s a good trade though just saying they can take money back.

But they won't . The team has left a rosterspot open by design so they don't have to use LTIR . They won't change that for a minor trade that doesn't do anything to help the team.

The team is not going to take money back and tap into the LTIR pool for a Honka deal unless its a slamdunk that improves the team.

Edit : Since Perry is still injured for 1-2 weeks its actually 2 open rosterspots the Stars decided to leave open right now.

Last edited:

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
Hah, cool. Gets to play with his brother in their home town. I will surely go watch him play, he is a top player at the Finnish league level. He will leave as soon as he is traded, but I am not sure at all it will happen any time soon.

Lempo

Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Sad, mostly. "We are **** and we know it."
Well it's hardly a reach that NHL is the highest hockey league in the world. If J. Honka actually is a player who by his skill level should be in that league is tdb at this point, but I like that SML teams at least are all for for trying to give their juniors the best chance to make it to NHL even if it means that they themselves will lose a supertalent player.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Sure, but it's hard to imagine similar attitudes in most other professional sports. A top Dutch soccer team willingly declaring that their star player should find a club in the Premier League? It's absurd. Of course there are certain hierarchies in other sports as well, but rarely such subservient attitudes between independent professional organizations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->