News: Julius Honka has asked for a trade (did not get signed/traded before Dec 1st deadline)

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
I have no idea what your gripe with Cogliano is . He was traded for because he's an high effort guy who never takes a shift off and is a guy young people can look at how a to change your game to have a long career. I've watched interviews with some of the guys send to Cedar Park and several talked about how Cogliano showed them some streches to do while warming up and all kinds of things.

He had a bit of a down year last season but guy has been a very consistent player for 10 seasons.

It's pretty simple, he sucks.

Well it's a good thing he's a player development coordinator /conditioning coach. so we don't have to watch him struggle at hockey for the next 2yrs but at least he tries his hardest (futile as it is) to suck the least while on the ice.
if only it weren't so damn hard to replace garbage players who "work" hard and know some secret stretches that'll result in long and successful careers in the AHL.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
It's pretty simple, he sucks.

Well it's a good thing he's a player development coordinator /conditioning coach. so we don't have to watch him struggle at hockey for the next 2yrs but at least he tries his hardest (futile as it is) to suck the least while on the ice.
if only it weren't so damn hard to replace garbage players who "work" hard and know some secret stretches that'll result in long and successful careers in the AHL.

Cogliano fits the Stars style of play better than anyone on the team, he just sucks offensively and is overpaid. He doesn't suck as a 4th line player (sucks we use him as a 3rd liner though)

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Stars have all the time in the world until someone comes along and meets their demand. If nobody comes ? Whatever. The only one who doesn't have much time is Honka. He needs to be signed by December or he can't play in the NHL .

Tall Morty

Visualize the action to actualize the vision
Apr 18, 2017

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Stars have all the time in the world until someone comes along and meets their demand. If nobody comes ? Whatever. The only one who doesn't have much time is Honka. He needs to be signed by December or he can't play in the NHL .
Honka's agent goofed. He should have signed a 2-way QO and then he'd at least have had a chance at getting a look on another team now.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
How long until Honka signs in Europe? It’s clear at this point the Stars aren’t going to sign him and they also don’t seem keen on trading him for anything less than a 3rd. He should sign in Finland or the KHL and give teams a reason to trade for him.

hockeyguru

Sep 10, 2019
How long until Honka signs in Europe? It’s clear at this point the Stars aren’t going to sign him and they also don’t seem keen on trading him for anything less than a 3rd. He should sign in Finland or the KHL and give teams a reason to trade for him.
they gave him a qualifying offer so they obviously wanted to retain him. it's just up to him and his agent to accept it. it's unlikely he does however.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
they gave him a qualifying offer so they obviously wanted to retain him. it's just up to him and his agent to accept it. it's unlikely he does however.

We retained him because he still has at least a bit of trade value, as evidenced by teams seemingly being interested. I'm fairly certain the QO was declined and can't be accepted now, although I don't know exactly how that works.

serp

Jan 17, 2016

The team gave a guy a QO offer who was 100% returning to Europe and hasn't played an NHL game in Niklas Hansson . Handing out QO is just about asset management . If you think someone is an asset you keep his rights. If you don't you don't.

Lempo

Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
We retained him because he still has at least a bit of trade value, as evidenced by teams seemingly being interested. I'm fairly certain the QO was declined and can't be accepted now, although I don't know exactly how that works.

By the CBA, QO will automatically expire on July 15, unless the team in writing and registered to the NHL Central Registry extends it (before it expired) to expire on some future date that needs to be specified.

Reactions: LatvianTwist

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
By the CBA, QO will automatically expire on July 15, unless the team in writing and registered to the NHL Central Registry extends it (before it expired) to expire on some future date that needs to be specified.

Thanks, good to know. Wouldn't surprise me if he expected to be traded during the offseason and thought he could sign a better deal with a new team.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Thanks, good to know. Wouldn't surprise me if he expected to be traded during the offseason and thought he could sign a better deal with a new team.

There's no way he couldn't have known that the Stars tried to trade him for months last season and aparently couldn't find anything. But you might be right which would explain his dumb decision not to sign the QO and just sit out.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

Its not really "whatever", if you are a douche organization it usually comes back to haunt you. Look at Winnipeg.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Its not really "whatever", if you are a *****e organization it usually comes back to haunt you. Look at Winnipeg.
Stars have no history of dicking over players or prospects. Don't really think they are dicking over Honka if they don't trade him just because. He doesn't have a contract to play hockey. He should go play in Europe and see if teams are impressed.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Its not really "whatever", if you are a *****e organization it usually comes back to haunt you. Look at Winnipeg.

It was his decision not to sign his QO . Stars would've had to move him by now if he did or waive him and see if he gets picked up or not.

Not to mention way before the trade request the team was looking to move the guy . There just isn't any market out there. Stars will not go out of their way to accept a bad deal to make Honka happy.

Honka not signing his QO made sure the Stars have no pressure to actually do something that could be considered a bad deal just to get something in a deal

Last edited:
Reactions: LatvianTwist

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Stars have no history of dicking over players or prospects. Don't really think they are dicking over Honka if they don't trade him just because. He doesn't have a contract to play hockey. He should go play in Europe and see if teams are impressed.

Yeah that is probably true, don't recognize it either in regards to them. Just to the post I replied too. I just think its becoming more and more of a common notion at this section at hfboards that GMs can do what they want and that it has no repercussions. Sometimes it does, sometimes it don't.

The biggest a-hole move I've heard of lately was STL dumping Berglund before his agent had time to submit his NTC list. Sure they had the right to do so and the agent screwed up, but it wasn't classy. STL has a cup now, do they win that cup without that trade? Possibly not.

OTOH, its not risk free. These things can add up, and you can reach a point where players en masse just start to look up and at other teams and come to the conclusion, I've had it with this organization and this crap. That is of course horrible too, and can cost you a Cup.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Still don't understand what happened with this guy. I picked him in my fantasy league prospect draft, followed him, and he seemed like he was on a normal progression to being a pretty serviceable defenseman. If Big D wants a 2nd or 3rd rounder for him they must believe he still has ability and is just being held back due to players leapfrogging him. Isles are too crowded on D to have any interest, but I gotta think that some teams would be in on him. Are his metrics that much of a nightmare?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I remember the Honka vs Sanheim debate. The argument was one is playing against kids in the WHL, the other against men in the AHL. Odd that Honka can't take what he does in AHL and make it translate to NHL.

Gotta think another team will take a chance in him to see if they can get it to happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->