Signing(s): Julio Teheran signs with the Angels (1 year, $9 million)

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
what happened to him, he used to be a super hyped prospect
Well....that was like 7 or 8 years ago.

Overall, he was a solid #3-type starter. During the tank years, he played the #1 role decently.

Over the last couple seasons, he's been as streaky as they come. His worst innings have been the first before settling down, so they couldn't put him in the pen.

Good signing as long as he's considered a 4 or 5 starter. He'll eat innings.

SSF

Oct 5, 2017
Cahill led the Angels in the starting rotation with 102.1 IP. Teheran will have that by the start of August

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Not happy about this really. Teheran is a solid back end starter, but we have that covered with Heaney, our young starters, and Bundy. Teheran does not move the needle in any way whatsoever. We need much better pitchers to make the playoffs

SSF

Oct 5, 2017
I know you are being dramatic but Teheran is a huge upgrade on Dylan Bundy;unless Bundy somehow puts it together like a Giolito did.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I know you are being dramatic but Teheran is a huge upgrade on Dylan Bundy;unless Bundy somehow puts it together like a Giolito did.
By what metrics? Bundy had a 4.58 xFIP, 2.5 fWAR, Teheran had a 5.26 xFIP, 1.6 fWAR, a lower K/9 and a higher BB/9

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
He really isn’t an upgrade on Heaney, Bundy, Ohtani, or Canning whatsoever. That 5.26 xFIP is ugly.

He has 8 straight years of 174 or more IP, the rest of those guys combined have one such season total including Ohtani's time in Japan, he may not be spectacular but he takes his turn every 5 days which is more than you can say about everyone else on the staff

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
He has 8 straight years of 174 or more IP, the rest of those guys combined have one such season total including Ohtani's time in Japan, he may not be spectacular but he takes his turn every 5 days which is more than you can say about everyone else on the staff
That’s great and all, but the Angels aren’t making the playoffs without top tier starting pitchers. Anything less isn’t going to move the needle or excite me in any way. Teheran isn’t that.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
That’s great and all, but the Angels aren’t making the playoffs without top tier starting pitchers. Anything less isn’t going to move the needle or excite me in any way. Teheran isn’t that.

No he's not a frontline guy but you can do a lot worse for a #3 or 4, I'd take him in a second on the Pirates. The Angels need a lot more pitching but hes still a big improvement on what they had, the key is continuing to add

Oct 18, 2011
They have to take what's available to them

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad