Julie Turris's Podcast

Status
Not open for further replies.

BloodRedArmy

Nov 29, 2013
Bytown
Really really good listen! The episode that came out today discusses their trade to Nashville, what it was like, how it worked. She praises Bryan Murray as a wonderful man, talks so highly of the culture in Nashville... At one pint she says that she knows so many people want to know what's going on in Ottawa, but she'd get in a lot of trouble if she opened up about it. "There's only two... well one person, really... well, it's a great organization". Really cool perspective.

Reactions: Sun God Nika

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Really really good listen! The episode that came out today discusses their trade to Nashville, what it was like, how it worked. She praises Bryan Murray as a wonderful man, talks so highly of the culture in Nashville... At one pint she says that she knows so many people want to know what's going on in Ottawa, but she'd get in a lot of trouble if she opened up about it. "There's only two... well one person, really... well, it's a great organization". Really cool perspective.

Gee, I wonder who she could be talking about as the issue...

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
Surprised the special guest isn't Marlee Hammond. They love taking digs at the Sens.

Maybe it's just me and this is just from a limited view from afar via twitter, but I find Marlee quite annoying. Seems like she loves attention.

Reactions: LeTigre

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Listened to the whole podcast and it's always interesting to hear that type of perspective on trades/hockey life. At the end of the day, this is a job for all of these players and their families.

And the more you listen to the stuff that slowly leaks out from former players, the more obvious it becomes that nobody respects Pierre Dorion or Eugene Melnyk. Not surprising really, neither of these have ever been in a locker room or played hockey at even a semi-professional level. They have no idea what it's like to be part of a team, how to build a team, or what players and their families care about.

I've said it before, but even with all of the questionable trades/signings, the passing of Bryan Murray was the death knell for this franchise, and it won't recover until Dumb and Dumber are gone.

Alfredsson, Turris, Karlsson, Methot, Spezza, Fisher, etc all speak glowingly about Murray, even after disagreements/divorces. Nobody has ever said a nice word about Eugene Melnyk or Pierre Dorion. And nobody will, because they have zero humility and walk around like they're the smartest guys in the world.

Last edited:

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
How many fingers need to be pointed all in the same direction from various people before the nay sayers finally agree that the person at the top is responsible for all this chaos?

Thanks for sharing!
I wish they would just open up about it, lay it all out there and stop trying to take the high road.

Reactions: DJB

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I wish they would just open up about it, lay it all out there and stop trying to take the high road.

She/they can't, because it inevitably becomes a "he-said/she-said" situation that is hard to prove, and if it's hard to prove then she opens herself up to a libel/slander lawsuit.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott

They can't because they're part of a different organization. Once someone is no longer employed by the NHL though? That's when you might hear some good stuff.

Rumor has it that Methot may be looking at retirement this offseason (depending on what type of offers are out there), and he's angling for a media job back here in Ottawa. I'm sure he's got lots of things to say...

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
My guess is many are worried about being sued.

She/they can't, because it inevitably becomes a "he-said/she-said" situation that is hard to prove, and if it's hard to prove then she opens herself up to a libel/slander lawsuit.

They can't because they're part of a different organization. Once someone is no longer employed by the NHL though? That's when you might hear some good stuff.

Rumor has it that Methot may be looking at retirement this offseason (depending on what type of offers are out there), and he's angling for a media job back here in Ottawa. I'm sure he's got lots of things to say...
Interesting. I didn't know that would be a real concern in this context. I guess its consistent with what we typically see when players move on, I'm always surprised players bite their tongue as much as they do, but this makes sense.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
About Bryan Murray, the only player that « walked out for nothing » was 41 y/o Alfie and it’s pretty obvious that it was a contract dispute because Melnyk didn’t want to pay. He traded Spezza and Healtey for « lesser » assets but it was just before their steep decline and before they became massive anchors with their contracts

He let Volchenkov, Kuba and Gonchar at the right time; just before they were done in the NHL

People complain about signings but Gonchar, MacArthur and Kovalev were by far better UFA signings that any of what Dorion has been doing the last 3 years.

His drafting was amazing and he hired some of the key people who were in charge of the last few drafts (Dorion is miscast as GM but is great at the draft table)

People also complained about the Bishop trade but forget that Murray initially acquired him with a 2nd round pick. Or that Campoli trade, gave up a « 1st round pick » yes but recovered a 2nd and Potulny after 2.5 years of cheap services (and also Comrie as a rental)

I mostly criticized Murray for his coaching hirings but now I realize that his boss won’t give you a bigger coaching budget, what is really possible?

Yeah, Murray is the man that kept this team respectable for so long

How many fingers need to be pointed all in the same direction from various people before the nay sayers finally agree that the person at the top is responsible for all this chaos?

Thanks for sharing!

Is there anybody left who doesn’t think that « he who must not be named« is a big problem? I don’t read much anymore so I have missed a ton but there’s probably nobody left among those informed enough

Last edited:
Reactions: bert and Karlstrobe

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

Thanks for sharing!

Is this in question?

This straw man needs to die, no one thinks our issues haven’t sprung from the owner almost exclusively.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
You're right. It's much better to just randomly speculate about things going on in the organization than to hear from people who were involved in the organization.

I never tried to convince you to think otherwise.. just saying what I think.

Reactions: R2010

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
No one is denying Melnyk and Dorion are the cause of the downfall (but also bad luck ie. Hoffman scandal) but my problem with the whiners is what are you going to do about it? Melnyk is the owner. This isn't a democracy. You can stop supporting the Sens but Melnyk isn't going anywhere.

Do you think Mark Zuckerberg is going to fade into the sunset because of backlash?

Reactions: Variable26

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
No one is denying Melnyk and Dorion are the cause of the downfall (but also bad luck ie. Hoffman scandal) but my problem with the whiners is what are you going to do about it? Melnyk is the owner. This isn't a democracy. You can stop supporting the Sens but Melnyk isn't going anywhere.

Do you think Mark Zuckerberg is going to fade into the sunset because of backlash?
We have stopped supporting Melnyk to make sure he feels the pain he promised was coming. He had already announced the plan prior to the season, so fans pulling support has no effect on the financially motivated firesale. It was going to happen either way.

The more fans that reject this owner, the sooner he will be gone.

Reactions: bert and R2010

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015

Uhhhh tons of people are boycotting Melnyk.

Reactions: bert
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad