NFL: Julian Edelman retires

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Sad end to a great career in NE.

He was a warrior but the body can only take so much.

An all time great Patriot!

Troy Brown version 2, great Pats player.
Edelman could’ve gone to Tampa to play with Brady but his body knew it was time to let go.

Reactions: Tuggy

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
He took an absolute shitkicking over his career and at some point, the body just says no more.

Credit where it's due. Valued guy on the field and off given his contributions to trying to deal with anti-Jewish sentiment that has popped up over the last couple years.

Reactions: Voight and Barnum

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
He's not even a pro-bowl player. He's a nice player, but let him in and let in every Troy Brown or Timmie Smith.

No dig at Edelman here....but this is how great Rice was.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
He's not even a pro-bowl player. He's a nice player, but let him in and let in every Troy Brown or Timmie Smith.

No dig at Edelman here....but this is how great Rice was.

If Jerry Rice is the bar to get into the HOF then no one but him would be in.

I think he has a case based off his post season numbers. Also, if you are going to compare him to other receivers I would stack him up against other slot guys, not outside wrs. A slot guy is never going to put up the same numbers or have as long a career

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Sakicfan

Oct 30, 2006
I think he has a case based off his post season numbers.

Would you put Cliff Branch in the HOF? He's been eligible for 21 years now and never got close to the HOF. And contrarily to Edelman, Branch has been on 4 Pro Bowl and 3 1st-team All Pro.

Hines Ward is 8th on the All-time receiving playoffs leaders list. Compare his numbers with Edelman's:

CATCHES
Ward: 1,000
Edelman: 620

YARDS
Ward: 12,083
Edelman: 6,822

TDs
Ward: 85
Edelman: 36

Super Bowl MVPs:
Ward: 1
Edelman: 1

Pro Bowls:
Ward: 4
Edelman: 0

Ward has not been able to make the final ballot in HOF voting in the 5 years he has been eligible.

Also, if you are going to compare him to other receivers I would stack him up against other slot guys, not outside wrs. A slot guy is never going to put up the same numbers or have as long a career

Here's the year-by-year breakdown on how Edelman ranks in terms of receiving yards gained from the slot position:

2020: 41st
2019: 5th
2018: 10th
2017: Did not play
2016: 3rd
2015: 21st
2014: 22nd
2013: 13th
2012: 113th
2011: 131st
2010: 142nd
2009: 37th

So he got twice into the top 5. That's good, but nothing extraordinary. And we have to consider that Edelman plays primarily in the slot whereas other WRs who got more yards from the slot only play there part-time (guys like Micheal Thomas, Chris Godwin, Tyreek Hill, Antonio Brown...). So to consider that, let's look at how he ranks in terms of receiving yards per route run from the slot position. I put a minimum cut-off of at least 20 targets from the slot to filter out guys who barely play there.

2020: 12th out of 68
2019: 24th out of 64
2018: 20th out of 66
2016: 5th out of 65
2015: 15th out of 62
2014: 23rd out of 59
2013: 23rd out of 57
2012: Did not get 20 targets
2011: Did not get 20 targets
2010: Did not get 20 targets
2009: 27th out of 51

So yeah, it's good but nothing extraordinary.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Would you put Cliff Branch in the HOF? He's been eligible for 21 years now and never got close to the HOF. And contrarily to Edelman, Branch has been on 4 Pro Bowl and 3 1st-team All Pro.

Hines Ward is 8th on the All-time receiving playoffs leaders list. Compare his numbers with Edelman's:

CATCHES
Ward: 1,000
Edelman: 620

YARDS
Ward: 12,083
Edelman: 6,822

TDs
Ward: 85
Edelman: 36

Super Bowl MVPs:
Ward: 1
Edelman: 1

Pro Bowls:
Ward: 4
Edelman: 0

Ward has not been able to make the final ballot in HOF voting in the 5 years he has been eligible.

Here's the year-by-year breakdown on how Edelman ranks in terms of receiving yards gained from the slot position:

2020: 41st
2019: 5th
2018: 10th
2016: 3rd
2015: 21st
2014: 22nd
2013: 13th
2012: 113th
2011: 131st
2010: 142nd
2009: 37th

So he got twice into the top 5. That's good, but nothing extraordinary. And we have to consider that Edelman plays primarily in the slot whereas other WRs who got more yards from the slot only play there part-time (guys like Micheal Thomas, Chris Godwin, Tyreek Hill, Antonio Brown...). So to consider that, let's look at how he ranks in terms of receiving yards per route run from the slot position. I put a minimum cut-off of at least 20 targets from the slot to filter out guys who barely play there.

2020: 12th out of 68
2019: 24th out of 64
2018: 20th out of 66
2016: 5th out of 65
2015: 15th out of 62
2014: 23rd out of 59
2013: 23rd out of 57
2012: Did not get 20 targets
2011: Did not get 20 targets
2010: Did not get 20 targets
2009: 27th out of 51

So yeah, it's good but nothing extraordinary.
I said based off his post season and then you posted a bunch of regular season stats lol

So while I appreciate the effort, you missed the mark.

Sakicfan

Oct 30, 2006
I said based off his post season and then you posted a bunch of regular season stats lol

So while I appreciate the effort, you missed the mark.

Your comment about slot receivers getting fewer yards than WRs on the outside referred to regular season stats, but if you want to strictly look at postseason, we can compare Hines Ward postseason career with Edelman's.

Hines Ward: 18 games, 1,181 yards (65.6 per game), 10 TDs (0.56 per game), 8.6 yards per target, 63.8% catch rate
Julian Edelman: 19 games, 1,442 yards (75.9 per game), 5 TDs (0.26 per game), 8.0 yards per target, 65.6% catch rate

Considering that Ward has twice as many TDs as Edelman, I don't think the 10 yards per game advantage for Edelman means that he has been significantly better in the playoffs. Then we consider that Ward's regular season resume is much better than Edelman's and it seems quite obvious that Hines Ward has a significantly better case to get into the Hall of Fame. Yet, Ward has been nowhere close to get in.

Edelman has 5 receiving TDs in the playoffs and 1 passing TDs, so let's give him 6 playoffs TDs. Here are other non-HOF guys who have at least 6 career playoffs touchdown: Antonio Freeman, Hines Ward, Anquin Boldin, Davante Adams, Ernest Givins, Amani Toomer, Brandon Stokley, Jimmy Smith, David Givens, Vernon Davis, Demaryius Thomas, John Taylor, Freddie Solomon, Rod Smith, Webster Slaughter, Jay Novacek, Keenan McCardell, Jermaine Kearse, Greg Jennings, Keith Jackson, Michael Crabtree, Gary Clark, Plaxico Burress, Doug Baldwin, Danny Amendola.

(I did not include Julio Jones, Antonio Brown, Rob Gronkowski, Larry Fitzgerald, Reggie Wayne, Travis Kelce and Steve Smith since they will eventually make the HOF)

So Julian Edelman has a relatively subpar regular season pedigree. His only case to make the HOF is that he got a bunch of yards in the playoffs since his playoffs TD numbers are not impressive. History has shown that in similar scenarios where a player has a bunch of playoffs yards but an ordinary resume, the player does not get in (Cliff Branch, Hines Ward). And Edelman's resume is not even close to the ones of these guys. So that's why Julian Edelman has no shot at the HOF.

Great career, a really impressive story as he has always been an underdog. But not even close to the Hall of Fame.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I agree on the No HOF for Edelman. With Gronk around for the majority of the time Edelman was.m a starter, and he wasn’t until they moved off Welker, he wasn’t the guy teams had to double team with Gronk on the field.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Your comment about slot receivers getting fewer yards than WRs on the outside referred to regular season stats, but if you want to strictly look at postseason, we can compare Hines Ward postseason career with Edelman's.

Hines Ward: 18 games, 1,181 yards (65.6 per game), 10 TDs (0.56 per game), 8.6 yards per target, 63.8% catch rate
Julian Edelman: 19 games, 1,442 yards (75.9 per game), 5 TDs (0.26 per game), 8.0 yards per target, 65.6% catch rate

Considering that Ward has twice as many TDs as Edelman, I don't think the 10 yards per game advantage for Edelman means that he has been significantly better in the playoffs. Then we consider that Ward's regular season resume is much better than Edelman's and it seems quite obvious that Hines Ward has a significantly better case to get into the Hall of Fame. Yet, Ward has been nowhere close to get in.

Edelman has 5 receiving TDs in the playoffs and 1 passing TDs, so let's give him 6 playoffs TDs. Here are other non-HOF guys who have at least 6 career playoffs touchdown: Antonio Freeman, Hines Ward, Anquin Boldin, Davante Adams, Ernest Givins, Amani Toomer, Brandon Stokley, Jimmy Smith, David Givens, Vernon Davis, Demaryius Thomas, John Taylor, Freddie Solomon, Rod Smith, Webster Slaughter, Jay Novacek, Keenan McCardell, Jermaine Kearse, Greg Jennings, Keith Jackson, Michael Crabtree, Gary Clark, Plaxico Burress, Doug Baldwin, Danny Amendola.

(I did not include Julio Jones, Antonio Brown, Rob Gronkowski, Larry Fitzgerald, Reggie Wayne, Travis Kelce and Steve Smith since they will eventually make the HOF)

So Julian Edelman has a relatively subpar regular season pedigree. His only case to make the HOF is that he got a bunch of yards in the playoffs since his playoffs TD numbers are not impressive. History has shown that in similar scenarios where a player has a bunch of playoffs yards but an ordinary resume, the player does not get in (Cliff Branch, Hines Ward). And Edelman's resume is not even close to the ones of these guys. So that's why Julian Edelman has no shot at the HOF.

Great career, a really impressive story as he has always been an underdog. But not even close to the Hall of Fame.
At the end of the day I dont think he will get in, but I think it deserves to be talked about and Edelman considered. I'm looking past the numbers to some degree at this point. I think its silly to look at a stat sheet and pick out HOFers.

He was arguably the 2nd most important player in the Patriots 2nd dynasty. Ahead of a 1st ballot guy like Gronk. The postseason holds a lot of weight to me. He went up against the best of the best. He was uncoverable at times and made some of the greatest plays in SB and post season history. Not just one play either. You can point to a dozen plays he made in the playoffs. He was the greatest QB of all time go to receiver.

Zilo44

Jul 4, 2012
Edelman does not deserve to be in the HOF. He is a good player who brought his game to another level in the playoffs. Just like Claude Lemieux, Justin Williams or Daniel Briere. It does not make them hall of famers.

Subban signed e5

Jun 21, 2012
Edelman does not deserve to be in the HOF. He is a good player who brought his game to another level in the playoffs. Just like Claude Lemieux, Justin Williams or Daniel Briere. It does not make them hall of famers.
in fairness to Edelman, his playoff resume is much much better then any of the players you mentioned, just post season stats he is second all time in almost everything after Jerry Rice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad