Player Discussion Jujhar Khaira

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I have a tiny bit of time for Khaira. But not enough time for him at an amount that is above what we can bury in the AHL without a cap penalty if his inconsistent play rears its head. For next season that is 1.075M. But even that is too much.

Nic Dowd signed a 3 year deal with the caps a week ago at 750K per season after 8 goals and 22 points in 64 games. They play a different style of game, but they've got nearly identical career averages. That's the type of AAV we should be getting Khaira under.

Last edited:

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
I’d sign him for 2 years at league minimum and not a cent more. Did not earn a raise with his play this year, but should have the opportunity to redeem himself.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
He will have trade value around the league esp to the teams that need to add size and grit for cheap.

TB, PIT and even TML

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
I hope they trade him. Doesn't really do anything great except hold the puck on the boards well. Get rid of all the offensive black holes.

DerpMorg

10 Year Tire Fire
Feb 1, 2012
Ft. McMurray
He’s also an atrociously slow skater and he’s not going to get any faster or better at skating. League min for a year or two and see what happens with him.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
He’s a decent 4th line left wing who needs to work on his PK ability. The only trouble for the team is that our other 4th line LW makes $6M.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
He's a black hole when he tries to pretend he's Rick Nash and doing things he's incapable of. If he played a more simple game, he'd be more effective.
This. Usually his game turns into him trying to be to fancy with the puck and him not finishing his hits without the puck. Opposite of what he should be doing.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Pretty disappointing year from him imo. I have been very high on this player and his progression but he took a step back last year.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
This. Usually his game turns into him trying to be to fancy with the puck and him not finishing his hits without the puck. Opposite of what he should be doing.

William Carrier makes 40K more salary playing for the Vegas Knights and has 280 bone crushing hits. Khaira, who frequently forgets what he's supposed to be doing and why he's even in the NHL has 120, 5th most on his team. That can't happen, that can't ever happen.

He's a fringe NHLer with negligible talent lucky to be here at all and judging from his typical anemic play 675K minimum isn't enough to consistently motivate him? How many times can a team healthy scratch his ass sending messages to get his head together? I have zero patience left for this player. He was given every opportunity to succeed. Sadly we let guys go like Slepychev, who actually had talent, and who could throw hits, and we stayed with this. In what universe is Khaira a better player than Anton Slepychev? Even Pakarinen who is far better on PK, and that allows far fewer GA in all situations, and who scores the odd goal is even a better option.

Could never understand the Khaira hype. He had one outlier year where anything was bouncing in. The trouble with this player is you can't used him in topsix, he's not nearly good enough, and can't use him in bottomsix, he's not willing to work hard enough.

Reactions: SavesFromKosko

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I don’t know. I wouldn’t classify 3 goals as good.

3G -12, again playing against the easiest opposition its possible for the Oilers to give Khaira. This happening to a 25 yr old player. The reality is he'll never be good enough, another pipe dream prospect of this team.

I'm not meaning to start anything with this, its just what it is, that the Oilers get a lot of positive PR from a community of new viewers, and the NHL, for having Khaira as a player in the lineup. But the player needs to be more than just a pr ploy to get more viewers.

An Edmonton Oiler Nudges Diversity Forward in the N.H.L.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
William Carrier makes 40K more salary playing for the Vegas Knights and has 280 bone crushing hits. Khaira, who frequently forgets what he's supposed to be doing and why he's even in the NHL has 120, 5th most on his team. That can't happen, that can't ever happen.

He's a fringe NHLer with negligible talent lucky to be here at all and judging from his typical anemic play 675K minimum isn't enough to consistently motivate him? How many times can a team healthy scratch his ass sending messages to get his head together? I have zero patience left for this player. He was given every opportunity to succeed. Sadly we let guys go like Slepychev, who actually had talent, and who could throw hits, and we stayed with this. In what universe is Khaira a better player than Anton Slepychev? Even Pakarinen who is far better on PK, and that allows far fewer GA in all situations, and who scores the odd goal is even a better option.

Could never understand the Khaira hype. He had one outlier year where anything was bouncing in. The trouble with this player is you can't used him in topsix, he's not nearly good enough, and can't use him in bottomsix, he's not willing to work hard enough.
Agreed. Sure he shows some glimpses of offensive skill but so did Brad Winchester. 3 goals, horrible on the PK, avoids finishing his hits like the plague. Seriously where is his value?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Sometimes I wonder as well at what exactly terms like this mean, "high character individual"

Constantine remembers Khaira well as a high-character individual and a player with a legitimate shot at an N.H.L. career.
“When I had players to my house, he was always the first into the kitchen after the meal to ask my wife if there was anything he could do to help,” said Constantine, who now coaches the South Korean Daemyung Killer Whales of Asia League Ice Hockey.

As an Oilers fan I'm fed up with such spurious notions of what constitutes character. It seems the Oilers org have a bot that speed dials them everytime somebody anywhere says a player has "high character".

As a player agent I'd key in on this. Pay somebody to say your player has high character..

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Consistency has been a big issue with Jujhar. I don't know if it was injuries or the suspension that did him in this season but he definitely wasn't up to par. That said he was still more productive than a guy like Rieder for example so we can't just assume that a replacement would outperform him. My mindset would be to sign him for 2 years on the cheap or if the right trade became available, I'd move him out.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Consistency has been a big issue with Jujhar. I don't know if it was injuries or the suspension that did him in this season but he definitely wasn't up to par. That said he was still more productive than a guy like Rieder for example so we can't just assume that a replacement would outperform him. My mindset would be to sign him for 2 years on the cheap or if the right trade became available, I'd move him out.

Jujhar played too high up in the lineup.

?? / McDavid / Drai
?? / RNH / ??
Chaisson (maybe) / ?? / ??
Kassian / ?? / Jujhar

The rest of the forwards can pound sand.

This is why the Oilers lose.

Oh, and Lucic.

Ragss

Jul 5, 2007
He's had more moments of looking like an NHLer than Puljujarvi, but sure had a terrible season. This team being what it is, he may never trend upwards again.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He's had more moments of looking like an NHLer than Puljujarvi, but sure had a terrible season. This team being what it is, he may never trend upwards again.

He's 5 years older IIRC, that is not insignificant. IIRC Khaira wasn't even close to sniffing the NHL at Jesse's age.

?? / McDavid / Drai
?? / RNH / ??
Kassian / ?? / Jujhar

Oh, and Lucic.

He played throughout the lineup. You could also say that Chiasson played too high up, yet he had a career year. He was playing very well leading up to the suspension and then tailed off in a big way.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

?? / McDavid / Drai
?? / RNH / ??
Kassian / ?? / Jujhar

Oh, and Lucic.

Any line in the NHL is too high up for Khaira. Just the Oilers having little depth keeps him in a lineup. Jujhar's big problem now is age is no longer a calling card. There is no longer any notion of a player getting better, or potentially getting better. He's just a fill player who will very seldom get physical, and is only effective or helpful when he is bringing it. This player has been healthy scratched lots, and by multiple coaches and for multiple games each time to send a message. He just doesn't get it. People can say injuries as well but if that's the case then he's not much different than Pitlick here. Except Pitlick had more upside.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I hope they trade him. Doesn't really do anything great except hold the puck on the boards well. Get rid of all the offensive black holes.

He's a 4th line player with 3rd line potential. Tell me how many players other than Nuge, McDavid, Leon, Nurse and Kassian that had good years... He deserves another year. Before this year he was decent

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
3G -12, again playing against the easiest opposition its possible for the Oilers to give Khaira. This happening to a 25 yr old player. The reality is he'll never be good enough, another pipe dream prospect of this team.

I'm not meaning to start anything with this, its just what it is, that the Oilers get a lot of positive PR from a community of new viewers, and the NHL, for having Khaira as a player in the lineup. But the player needs to be more than just a pr ploy to get more viewers.

An Edmonton Oiler Nudges Diversity Forward in the N.H.L.

Uhhh Khaira is a 4th line winger who had a bad year like 90% of this team. He's not supposed to be a top 6 forward. He's supposed to be a shift disturber, a crash the net type of player. You're saying he'll never be good enough when he's played 2 seasons. The first season he had 11 goals 10 assists and this year he had a bad year like majority of the team and your ready to turf him? You're bias is just gross

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad