Player Discussion Jujhar Khaira

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Glad he's with nuge. He got great board work and untapped skill.

Certainly doing better than the identity line.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Lucic actually makes over 12 times in real dollars compared to Khaira this year. 8M vs 650K.

This bum Lucic is eventually going to cost useful players like khaira and nurse that we can't sign at their market value.

slaman

McOilers Fan
Oct 22, 2010
Toronto
He's been fantastic the past two games on the second line. Showing a ton of confidence and great board work.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
Appears to be a diamond in the rough. This is why its so important that a coach recognize what a player is, and what he is capable of.

You have to wonder how many players are stuck in third and fourth line roles, when they actually should and could be playing higher. Just about every player is drafted because of his offensive capability and numbers, a lot get turned into checkers etc.

Reactions: ThreeOfAPerfectPair

McSpecial DraiBlend

Feb 18, 2010
Kelowna, Canada
It's clear that Hitch has a lot of time for this player and clearly knows how to get through to him. It has been night and day difference. He is probably our best player in deep on the cycle. Kid is still developing and proving me wrong along the way (I didn't think he would amount to anything).
I also love that he has a lot of grit and can stand up for teammates. No matter what anyone says that still is important and you need players like him in the playoffs.

Reactions: CanmoreMike

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013

I've had to watch this with my kids countless times and now I find myself signing along but saying Jujhar instead of the Gorilla's name Shujaa. It really is quite catchy. I like to think the reprise version was JJ during his time under McClellan, but it's been all upbeat with Hitch in charge.

Oh-way-oh-oh-oh-oh-way-oh. Jujhar thunder, Jujhar smash for you! Listen to it twice and I guarantee you'll be signing it in the shower tomorrow morning.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
It's clear that Hitch has a lot of time for this player and clearly knows how to get through to him. It has been night and day difference. He is probably our best player in deep on the cycle. Kid is still developing and proving me wrong along the way (I didn't think he would amount to anything).
I also love that he has a lot of grit and can stand up for teammates. No matter what anyone says that still is important and you need players like him in the playoffs.
I don't know that I agree with all of this. Jujhar had looked great under TM as well. He actually did look not bad at time this year. Jujhar has been a streaking player. Hopefully he can overcome this

Jepprey

Creeper
May 25, 2006
With how well he's been playing lately, I feel like Seattle could key in on him as their expansion pick.

Young BC boy. Great teammate and most importantly is that he is versatile up and down the lineup.

Chippy11

We have a Hulk
Jun 2, 2015
I was always a big fan of his. During the off-season i hoped for him to take a big step forward. Obviously he played very poorly under TM but this Jujhar right now is exactly how I envision him to be.
Good work big guy, keep it up!

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC
Appears to be a diamond in the rough. This is why its so important that a coach recognize what a player is, and what he is capable of.

You have to wonder how many players are stuck in third and fourth line roles, when they actually should and could be playing higher. Just about every player is drafted because of his offensive capability and numbers, a lot get turned into checkers etc.
that's what Vegas is all about!

Reactions: Throttlehead

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Any thoughts about Khaira? His deal is up, went from 67 - 11 - 10 - 21 - 47 to 60 - 3 - 15 - 18 - 43 in an injury plagued season this past year. Other than the stretch of games where he was with RNH and was putting up good numbers and playing well before his suspension he did not have a good year.

He has some nice attributes but I don't see him as anything but a bottom 6 forward who can be moved up once or twice a year till he cools off, we are shy on forwards, Id sign him to a 2 year deal at no more than $1M per. Confidence seems to really be an issue with him.

Trade bait?
Sign to a short term deal and for what money?
Where does he fit?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Very inconsistent player that has annual phases where he is healthy scratched because he is bringing nothing. Constant work required with this player just to get him to bring a semblance of a game.

This player, at this level, is not a self starter and its odd that he was this bad in a contract year. I don't think he's even good enough for 4th line.

I don't buy that his issue is confidence, and if it is and multiple years into the league that its still a problem it isn't going away in anycase. The player is not that skilled. Theres going to be moments where everything dries up. He doesn't persevere well through those.

Khaira is turning 25 this offseason and so theres no real upside due to youth. He scored 3 goals all season and managed to be -12 in limited minutes/games while facing the weakest NHL opposition its possible to get. This is just a really bad player overall. The variety a lot of good teams don't have.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Very inconsistent player that has annual phases where he is healthy scratched because he is bringing nothing. Constant work required with this player just to get him to bring a semblance of a game.

This player, at this level, is not a self starter and its odd that he was this bad in a contract year. I don't think he's even good enough for 4th line.

I don't buy that his issue is confidence, and if it is and multiple years into the league that its still a problem it isn't going away in anycase. The player is not that skilled. Theres going to be moments where everything dries up. He doesn't persevere well through those.

Khaira is turning 25 this offseason and so theres no real upside due to youth. He scored 3 goals all season and managed to be -12 in limited minutes/games while facing the weakest NHL opposition its possible to get. This is just a really bad player overall. The variety a lot of good teams don't have.

Agreed hes a fringe NHL player. Hes not 21 no more with a ton of upside. Either he comes cheap as a 4th line option to kill penalties or time to move on.

Dont mind him making the 650k he is right now.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Glad he's with nuge. He got great board work and untapped skill.

Certainly doing better than the identity line.

Agreed hes a fringe NHL player. Hes not 21 no more with a ton of upside. Either he comes cheap as a 4th line option to kill penalties or time to move on.

Dont mind him making the 650k he is right now.

Within half a season...

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I still have time for him. He'll come cheap, and he's shown in the past that he can be a very effective player when he's playing his game. Injuries hurt him this year and he never found the consistency, but I have no problem with him playing on my 4th line and filling in up the lineup here and there.

Reactions: ujju2

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I never added to my post that one of my issues with him is he's been relied upon to be a penalty killer and we all know how well that’s been going the past 2 seasons.

Not that it’s all on him but we need players who can play the pk. Rishaug (I think) was saying the other day that he figured JJ was going to get about $1.5m short term. That seems like a huge overpay for 3 goals and some poor pk work.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
I like him. He makes mistakes sometimes but generally a pretty smart player and adds some toughness to the bottom 6. He should bounce back now that he's healthy. If he's making even 1.25M on a multi year deal I'm okay with that. Just play him properly in a bottom 6 role at 10-12 minutes a night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad