Player Discussion Jujhar Khaira

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Khaira numbers in the AHL aren't great. It goes to show you that some guys just need to be given a chance. Some guys will make use of it.

I know it's not popular opinion, but I would like to see Platzer get a call up

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Bumping this thread to say that I've tuned in on Khaira closely the last few games as @Bryanbryoil suggested, and I'll admit I was wrong about Khaira's skating. It has taken a huge step forward which is very impressive to see.

If you had said to me that Khaira was one of threw, maybe four bright spots in this season last summer, I would have laughed you out of the room. Happy for the guy and hope he can keep it up.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He can be even better if he works on his consistency issues

Well consistency is generally what separates a 2nd liner from a 3rd/4th liner. IMO he has taken some big strides this season and next season will be his contract year, I suspect that he will be even better next season.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Khaira numbers in the AHL aren't great. It goes to show you that some guys just need to be given a chance. Some guys will make use of it.

Khaira's 'not great numbers' are still way better than Platzer, which should be the first red flag.

I guess the big difference here is Khaira is 4 inches taller, 30 pounds heavier, and didn't get sent down to the ECHL

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Can't wait til we get a coach who knows how to deploy forwards.

If McDavid can make maroon look like a superstar I can't image what jujhair will look like with McDavid or Draisaitl all season.

Could be a huge value play down the road. Sadly gets buried along with pulu on the bottom while Lucic rides with McDavid at all times.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Except without the 55 point ability.

I’m loving khaira, but he’s a bottom 6 guy through and through.

Is maroon a bottom 6 guy? McDavid made maroon Yakupov and just about anyone but Lucic look like a 55 point guy.

We need value wingers with McDavid. Thsts what jujhair is.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
He can be even better if he works on his consistency issues
well, there's no way to work on one's consistency. It's not useful advice like working on shooting, passing, or skating. Khaira will get more consistent by natural maturing and that only happens by getting NHL minutes and getting more chemistry with different teammates. Tmac did an awesome job with Khaira, especially by giving him that long look at center next to Draisaitl

Former Referee 68

Aug 18, 2016
Canada
Even if he remains a 3rd or 4th line player, that is Important. He kills penalties, hits people, stands up for his teammates and still produces well....all for a reasonable AAV. Good teams need those players, look at Hendricks and players like that, they are needed on every team.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Is maroon a bottom 6 guy? McDavid made maroon Yakupov and just about anyone but Lucic look like a 55 point guy.

We need value wingers with McDavid. Thsts what jujhair is.

Khaira is a valuable player to this team going forward. But he's not going to be a top line guy, even playing with McDavid. Not unless he takes a big step forward with his offensive game. For all the crap Oiler fans liked to say about Maroon, he was a complimentary top 6 winger with the Ducks before he ever played with McDavid and now has 6 points in 7 games with the Devils.

Maybe Khaira can get there, but he hasn't shown the kind of offensive talent so far to make me think he could be a top 6 player regardless of who he is playing with.

Bottom 6 center who can kill penalties, win faceoffs and chip in 15 goals in a season? Absolutely. And that type of player is great to have.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Khaira is a valuable player to this team going forward. But he's not going to be a top line guy, even playing with McDavid. Not unless he takes a big step forward with his offensive game. For all the crap Oiler fans liked to say about Maroon, he was a complimentary top 6 winger with the Ducks before he ever played with McDavid and now has 6 points in 7 games with the Devils.

Maybe Khaira can get there, but he hasn't shown the kind of offensive talent so far to make me think he could be a top 6 player regardless of who he is playing with.

Bottom 6 center who can kill penalties, win faceoffs and chip in 15 goals in a season? Absolutely. And that type of player is great to have.

The thing is we just dont know. With him Kassian etc. What would it hurt to get that anchor lucic off mcdavids back and try another winger. Maybe there is CHEMISTRY.

You know literally what Sidney Crosby has done with 4th liners his entire career. He got Kunitz on the national team specifically for that reason.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick

Wasn't Klefbom kinda bad in the AHL too? Some players aren't capable of playing that style of hockey.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
The thing is we just dont know. With him Kassian etc. What would it hurt to get that anchor lucic off mcdavids back and try another winger. Maybe there is CHEMISTRY.

You know literally what Sidney Crosby has done with 4th liners his entire career. He got Kunitz on the national team specifically for that reason.
Same Kunitz who had both a 50 and 60 point season with the Ducks (and a 3rd one at a 50 point pace)?

Hey, you might be right. Maybe Khaira would click with McDavid and take off. But man do guys who play with generational type players get underrated.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Same Kunitz who had both a 50 and 60 point season with the Ducks (and a 3rd one at a 50 point pace)?

Hey, you might be right. Maybe Khaira would click with McDavid and take off. But man do guys who play with generational type players get underrated.

The season is over. I like Nuge way more than Hoffman and he looks good with McDavid.

We've seen what Lucic has to offer and I wouldnt mind seeing Kassian/Kharia etc get a slot up there. Honestly nothing to lose.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
The season is over. I like Nuge way more than Hoffman and he looks good with McDavid.

We've seen what Lucic has to offer and I wouldnt mind seeing Kassian/Kharia etc get a slot up there. Honestly nothing to lose.

Sure why not.

All I said with my earlier post was that I don't see 55 point potential out of Khaira. He hasn't demonstrated that kind of offensive potential at any point in his career. Although honestly with Kassian I'd just as soon see him in the pressbox as moved up in the lineup.

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
JJ is showing he wants to be there next year. That's what I see, and I like what I see. He's growing into a fan favourite.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Lucic actually makes over 12 times in real dollars compared to Khaira this year. 8M vs 650K.

With Khaira eligible to sign an extension on July 1st, would it would make sense to try and get him locked up long term sooner than later? He looks like a lock for at least a 3rd line spot for a long time. I wonder if he would take 2-2.5M for 5-6 years? Sure am glad Vegas didn't scoop him up last year. You all thought I was taking crazy pills when I wanted him on the list over Letestu and Kassian.

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
Lucic actually makes over 12 times in real dollars compared to Khaira this year. 8M vs 650K.

With Khaira eligible to sign an extension on July 1st, would it would make sense to try and get him locked up long term sooner than later? He looks like a lock for at least a 3rd line spot for a long time. I wonder if he would take 2-2.5M for 5-6 years? Sure am glad Vegas didn't scoop him up last year. You all thought I was taking crazy pills when I wanted him on the list over Letestu and Kassian.
I think your crazy offering a 3rd or 4th liner a 5 year deal lol. And your over tripling his $. He might be worth that but why not try for a value contract like other NHL teams. Oilers cant afford everyone getting good deals. If you get him 500k cheaper, try Strome for less then his 3 mil QO. All of a sudden 2 value depth players and you have an extra mil in cap space.

Also like the idea of keeping depth players motivated. I hope its an off year for Kassian but cant help and wonder if he didnt get a 3 yr deal maybe he is fighting and hitting as much as Khaira(Same with Lucic even).

Its a tough life getting hit and punching people for a living, gotta keep the contract length down to keep up the motivation. If he has a bad year next year we have him for 5 years after making guaranteed money. If he has a bad year next year but has a 2 year contract were getting a super motivated Khaira.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
I think your crazy offering a 3rd or 4th liner a 5 year deal lol. And your over tripling his $. He might be worth that but why not try for a value contract like other NHL teams. Oilers cant afford everyone getting good deals. If you get him 500k cheaper, try Strome for less then his 3 mil QO. All of a sudden 2 value depth players and you have an extra mil in cap space.

Also like the idea of keeping depth players motivated. I hope its an off year for Kassian but cant help and wonder if he didnt get a 3 yr deal maybe he is fighting and hitting as much as Khaira(Same with Lucic even).

Its a tough life getting hit and punching people for a living, gotta keep the contract length down to keep up the motivation. If he has a bad year next year we have him for 5 years after making guaranteed money. If he has a bad year next year but has a 2 year contract were getting a super motivated Khaira.

It is a value contract over the last half which would be UFA years. It might even be a value deal as soon as it kicks in if Khaira keeps progressing next year. He's just so versatile and can play anywhere from 1st line LW to 4th line C. I think his offense will take a step forward as he gets more net front time on the PP too. If I was Khaira this offseason I would be spending a lot of time practicing tips and screens. Maybe Ryan Smyth could be a helpful training mentor.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
Khaira looked like he did in college on that play: behind the net making a really smart pass out front.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Flourishing under Hitch. 5 points last 4 games.

Hitch was right when he said Khaira is a great player when he plays a north-south game. His skating is actually pretty good for his size and he can be a beast on the forecheck if he puts in the effort. Seems to be having some chemistry with Nuge too so I’m looking forward to seeing what that line can do. Hopefully Puljujarvi can start pitching in soon as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad