Speculation: Juho Lammikko back to NHL? update: COVID-19 forces KHL move, NHL in 2021?

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
A finnish news paper article asked Finnish National team coach Jukka Jalonen which players from Finnish League would be ready for NHL.

He said there's only one player and it's not Jesse Puljujärvi. He said it's Juho Lammikko. He would be a perfect 4th line or even 3rd line center in NHL. He plays a strong 2-way game, big enough and moves fast enough. He scored 51 points in the league this season.

What do you think? Will we see Juho back in a Panthers uniform?

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
It could be that when he chooses to try again, Lammikko wants an opportunity with a team that potentially has a bigger role for him, rather than locking him as a 4C.

Panthers own his rights until 2023.

Reactions: Chaos2k7

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Perfect! Boost him up. Then trade him with Yandle to .... somewhere.

sinDer

Nov 22, 2006
Drummondville, QC
I'd like to see him back as 3C or 4C, but like Soupy said, doubt he wants a limited role in his return.

?

We are talking about the same the same Lammikko that played for us last season right?

A total of 0 goal in 40 games. 6 assists...or 2 assists in 39 games if you prefer.

51 pts in 57 games in Liiga? Heponiemi made 46pts in 50 games...

He's not in a position to ask for a "bigger role". He should consider himself lucky to have another shot at playing in the NHL.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
?

We are talking about the same the same Lammikko that played for us last season right?

A total of 0 goal in 40 games. 6 assists...or 2 assists in 39 games if you prefer.

51 pts in 57 games in Liiga? Heponiemi made 46pts in 50 games...

He's not in a position to ask for a "bigger role". He should consider himself lucky to have another shot at playing in the NHL.

Completely agree. His body of work does not warrant any social treatment. He wants a bigger role? He's got to earn it. The guy would be lucky to play 4th line center next season. Maybe he does really well, and I thought he was decent while with the big club, but nothing he's done should give him any better treatment than say toninato.

Bag Of Beans

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Completely agree. His body of work does not warrant any social treatment. He wants a bigger role? He's got to earn it. The guy would be lucky to play 4th line center next season. Maybe he does really well, and I thought he was decent while with the big club, but nothing he's done should give him any better treatment than say toninato.

He did okay when he was here, but nothing to really separate himself from other candidates now.

His defensive game was on point, but he lacked an offensive play. Consistency was definitely a problem.

I do remember one game last season in Ottawa he had five assists.

Reactions: harv33173

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
I'd like to see him back as 3C or 4C, but like Soupy said, doubt he wants a limited role in his return.

I think he needs to realize that will be his role if wants to stay in NHL

Would have a Good shot next year at locking down a decent role with Tro gone and Haula an ufa

His role is a bottom 6 C and that's where he can slot in. I don't understand how he could expect to have any role bigger than that. He's a perfect fit for Q's style and system, IMO...he'll immediately get into his good books and will be an asset on the PK as well. I want him back and have no problem whatsoever giving him the 3C or 4C role to start and see if he can move his way up the lineup. If you compare him to a guy like Acciari...he's younger, bigger, faster and more skilled and look at how Acciari was able to contribute under Q's system. He's also better than Toninato IMO and look how much he played under Q.

Anyway, we'll see what happens, but I'd like to see him get another shot under Q.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006

Seem to recall another forward that the Panthers drafted from Finland in 2010. Never played for Florida but then came over in 2015-16 for the Sharks as a 23-year-old rookie after five years in Oulu with Karpat. He was a significant contributor to San Jose's run to the finals. Joonas Donskoi is now in his fifth NHL season playing for Colorado and has skated in over 350 games.

Reactions: harv33173

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Seem to recall another forward that the Panthers drafted from Finland in 2010. Never played for Florida but then came over in 2015-16 for the Sharks as a 23-year-old rookie after five years in Oulu with Karpat. He was a significant contributor to San Jose's run to the finals. Joonas Donskoi is now in his fifth NHL season playing for Colorado and has skated in over 350 games.

Totally different. Donskoi always had potential to be more than a bottom player. He just needed time to mature, which he himself said so later on.

Lammikko has never been considered anything more than a bottom 6 guy and if he wants a bigger role than 4th line to start, he's dreaming. Guy needs to prove himself before expecting anything. And don't get me wrong, I liked him here, was defensively responsible, but he needs to show more for a bigger role.

Reactions: Cold Cat

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania

Donskoi didn't take hockey seriously when the Panthers drafted him. He admitted this years later. That's why the Panthers let him go. It took him years to mature and grow up. He always had the skill. Lammikko has never shown any indications of top 6 talent except for maybe this past season. Although I think the Panthers would like to see him build on those numbers for another year.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
I thought someone had posted this already, but anyway:

Kärppä-tähden aikeet uusiksi: NHL-neuvottelut olivat jo pitkällä – siirtymässä nyt KHL:ään

Lammikko's agent said they had talks about an NHL return (doesn't directly mention Florida) and that was the original plan prior to COVID-19, but he decided on the KHL because of the uncertainty when the 2020-21 NHL season starts.

So sounds like he wants to come back in 2021.
Makes a lot of sense. He definitely improved his status in Finland. Perhaps it gives credence to how terrible our AHL system is for development.

I wonder what Tallon will do with that next year tbh...will we keep Kinnear?

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
I thought someone had posted this already, but anyway:

Kärppä-tähden aikeet uusiksi: NHL-neuvottelut olivat jo pitkällä – siirtymässä nyt KHL:ään

Lammikko's agent said they had talks about an NHL return (doesn't directly mention Florida) and that was the original plan prior to COVID-19, but he decided on the KHL because of the uncertainty when the 2020-21 NHL season starts.

So sounds like he wants to come back in 2021.

If we already had his rights...could we not have signed him to a contract now and he could be eligible to play immediately? Grigorenko couldn't sign and play because he was a FA and nobody held his rights.

I mean, obviously, if that was possible, we wouldn't be in this situation, just curious as to why it's the same outcome as a free agent.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
If we already had his rights...could we not have signed him to a contract now and he could be eligible to play immediately? Grigorenko couldn't sign and play because he was a FA and nobody held his rights.

I mean, obviously, if that was possible, we wouldn't be in this situation, just curious as to why it's the same outcome as a free agent.
He would have to go through waivers I believe, like Ryan O'Reilley a few years back.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011

This was brought up when Minnesota wanted to sign Kaprizov, basically the league doesn't like allowing players to come in from Europe when their season didn't technically end there due to COVID-19.

Report: Kaprizov likely won't be eligible to join Wild if season resumes

Even if we had made the playoffs, Lammikko would've still probably been playing by the time we were done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->