Judging Sather's Offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Also, some of the comments are based entirely on the assumption that we all know 100% of what goes on.

Why didn't they try to sign player X on date Y?

Why did they give player X and NTC when they didn't have to?

etc etc etc

Isn't this the same forum where people constantly complain about the beat writers not being of high quality? Why do we then assume that we know every single conversation that happens in every single team office?

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
I'm confused about why this team had one of the best GA/A in the entire league yet every single d-man but McDonagh supposedly sucks. Hank is good, but nobody is so good that they carry a team with one serviceable d-man to those kinds of numbers.

We also had very good forwards, Stralman, and Hank. And like I said in the other thread, Staal doesn't suck, but he's much better as a complementary guy than as one carrying a pairing defensively.

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012
We also had very good forwards, Stralman, and Hank. And like I said in the other thread, Staal doesn't suck, but he's much better as a complementary guy than as one carrying a pairing defensively.
I know you're a huge Stralman fan but he wasnt a huge reason why we got where we got. I mean Hank and Mcdonagh Zucc MSL Kreider and even Boyle in the playoffs were the ones that stood out the most

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
I know you're a huge Stralman fan but he wasnt a huge reason why we got where we got. I mean Hank and Mcdonagh Zucc MSL Kreider and even Boyle in the playoffs were the ones that stood out the most

Stralman was a big part of the reason we got where got. The fact that you're not noticing the effect he has doesn't mean it's not there. Do you take note of how often a defender forces a dump in rather than lets the opposition skate in with the puck? Do you count up in your head how often an outlet pass from a certain defender leads to a clean breakout and offensive zone time? Stralman has a massive impact on the game even though your eyes aren't catching it.

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012
Stralman was a big part of the reason we got where got. The fact that you're not noticing the effect he has doesn't mean it's not there. Do you take note of how often a defender forces a dump in rather than lets the opposition skate in with the puck? Do you count up in your head how often an outlet pass from a certain defender leads to a clean breakout and offensive zone time? Stralman has a massive impact on the game even though your eyes aren't catching it.
First off i never said Stralman wasnt any kind of a factor. I have said many times he developed very well as a Ranger after being terrible everywhere else he was. My point is i think you overrate him a bit. Sure i would have liked to keep Stralman but i have no problem getting Boyle who is the type of offensive defenemen we need who can play the point of te powerplay. Cant keep everyone but i think sather has done a good job

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
First off i never said Stralman wasnt any kind of a factor. I have said many times he developed very well as a Ranger after being terrible everywhere else he was. My point is i think you overrate him a bit. Sure i would have liked to keep Stralman but i have no problem getting Boyle who is the type of offensive defenemen we need who can play the point of te powerplay. Cant keep everyone but i think sather has done a good job

This is why we have the numbers. If you're busy pointing out that Brian Boyle was a more noticeable contributor, then you're missing how valuable Stralman is. He's a huge factor in the stability of our defense not only because of how good he is alone, but because he makes Staal much more effective. You should never make a major sacrifice in your even strength play to improve your power play, which is exactly what dropping Stralman for Dan Boyle does. If someone was going to be let go it should've been Girardi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad