Judge rules that Melinda Karlsson doesn't have to give Monika Caryk cyberbullying evidence

Healthy DiPietro

Jan 4, 2014
If there's no evidence, Hoffman's girlfriend has a definite case. What her lawyer said is absolutely true. She did become the face of cyberbulling based on Karlson's accusations. You can't just publicly destroy somebody's image like that without evidence.

Actually, Melinda hasn't done a single thing publicly which means Monika doesn't have a case for anything, even if there is no evidence. What's more, the only thing we know for a fact is that Melinda hasn't provided evidence to Monika's camp yet; not that it doesn't exist.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Actually, Melinda hasn't done a single thing publicly which means Monika doesn't have a case for anything, even if there is no evidence. What's more, the only thing we know for a fact is that Melinda hasn't provided evidence to Monika's camp yet; not that it doesn't exist.

There is no benefit to them withholding "evidence" against an allegation like this, if they could prove it was her they would have. Instead they realized they backed themselves into a corner and need to buy time until people forget.

The real perpetrator is out there laughing at how things turned out.

Reactions: sens13

sens13

Mar 16, 2017
There is no benefit to them withholding "evidence" against an allegation like this, if they could prove it was her they would have. Instead they realized they backed themselves into a corner and need to buy time until people forget.

The real perpetrator is out there laughing at how things turned out.

Exactly if they had solid evidence they would have already had her charged with harassment. They went through a lot and if they knew for sure who it was of course they would have them charged. But they don't have any evidence. Will be interesting to say what Caryk does now. If she does nothing it will seem to the public that she is guilty.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
You don't feel mad at ek's wife? Nothing she did is justified. Losing a child is one of the worst experiences a human can go through, especially at the infancy stage. But What happened to Caryk and Hoffman this summer was terrible in it's own regard and it was caused by one individual. Hoffman's reputation in this league is at an all time low, and his fiance may never be able to have a meaningful relationship associated with the nhl all because of caryk. Tragedy does not absolve someone of the damages they have caused others.

Baby or not they should be completely ashamed, if she thinks those previous comments were bad, if shes wrong about this it'll be many times worse.

And Erik? Completely shut down Hoffman on his wifes word without actually evidence, didn't even offer to listen to his teammates side of the story, not exactly the sign of a good captain no wonder things stirred off so far in Ottawa.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Baby or not they should be completely ashamed, if she thinks those previous comments were bad, if shes wrong about this it'll be many times worse.

And Erik? Completely shut down Hoffman on his wifes word without actually evidence, didn't even offer to listen to his teammates side of the story, not exactly the sign of a good captain no wonder things stirred off so far in Ottawa.

you're right. My whole opinion of Karlsson has changed in regards to this whole situation. And in regards to his relationship with the Senators , i don't he is as innocent as it appears. This whole thing is a mess because of the Karlsson's basically. Had they pursued finding out who bullied them in a private fashion Those two may still be on the senators today.

Healthy DiPietro

Jan 4, 2014
There is no benefit to them withholding "evidence" against an allegation like this

Sure there is, lawyers don't release information before building a complete case. They have no obligation to do it prematurely just because the media happened to get wind of this thing and made us curious.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
I think the women came out because they thought Melinda had evidence to support their claims. It would be very stupid of them to call her out just because they don't like her. If I was one of those women I wouldn't say a bleep until I knew either Melinda or the others had legit evidence to back up themselves. At the end of the day, she needed evidence. This has become a mess.

Reactions: Patrik Barkov

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Exactly if they had solid evidence they would have already had her charged with harassment. They went through a lot and if they knew for sure who it was of course they would have them charged. But they don't have any evidence. Will be interesting to say what Caryk does now. If she does nothing it will seem to the public that she is guilty.

No because the angle the Hoffmans (who will turn out to be the only decent people in all of this) is to not counter on the "grieving" Karlsson's.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Sure there is, lawyers don't release information before building a complete case. They have no obligation to do it prematurely just because the media happened to get wind of this thing and made us curious.

Lmao a complete case? Do you think this is a murder? Large scale drug ring? hahaha wow.

They have absolutely nothing, so let me get this straight - your argument is that the Karlsson's would now rather let their own names be dragged through the mud in this situation given recent turns in order to 100% prove a minor case of cyberbullying? hahaha

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
I feel like if the Karlsson's really did have a case against Caryk, we would have heard some concrete evidence or at least heard that there is strong evidence against her by now. This sounds like yet another example of someone dragging someone else's name through the mud and when pressed to provide proof they slowly let it die while the accused is left to pick up the pieces and clear their name without help from anyone.

Reactions: Mav3rick07

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Possibly for the same reason dozens of HF posters shared their misguided and prejudiced views on the situation in this other thread: because a lot of people like to form an opinion about things they know nothing about and then proudly share those "thoughts".
It's really easy to side with someone that just lost a child and has been going through some serious cyber bullying. Nobody wants to be the heartless person that calls someone like that a liar. Not that I want to get political but it's similar to the MeToo movement where basically every victim has to be believed and if you even attempt to think logically or suggest to let the evidence come forward before taking a side you are labeled a bigot, an apologist, or an enabler. I've been saying all along that it's disgusting that people automatically jump to conclusions because a few rich girls banded together with a heartbroken friend and pointed fingers.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
I like going to the cops and saying "I was robbed by Joe Smith". They ask "what did he take, how did he do it?". I answer "I don't know, investigate and figure it out".

sounds a lot like this other thing that's going on right about now.

Reactions: StoneHands

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
A motion for a protective order isn’t an accusation and doesn’t require much in the way of evidence so people need to stop treating it like it is.

Reactions: allevat

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
Actually, Melinda hasn't done a single thing publicly which means Monika doesn't have a case for anything, even if there is no evidence.

Does it work like that? If you accuse somebody of doing or saying something absolutely terrible without actually naming them, even if it is obvious and easily traceable who you are referring too, you are free and clear?

What's more, the only thing we know for a fact is that Melinda hasn't provided evidence to Monika's camp yet; not that it doesn't exist.

Now we also have the judge in this case saying there's no evidence. Read the end of the article in the OP.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vlad The Impaler

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
A motion for a protective order isn’t an accusation and doesn’t require much in the way of evidence so people need to stop treating it like it is.
I don't know what it is in the US but in Canada it is a court process to keep someone away from you, they don't just hand them out for no reason. You can get arrested for violating it.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
I think it's the fact that Melinda Karlsson directly accused Caryk that people are calling accusations because that's exactly what they are.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I don't know what it is in the US but in Canada it is a court process to keep someone away from you, they don't just hand them out for no reason. You can get arrested for violating it.
I think it is functionally the same in the US.

Yes you can get arrested for violating it, but you don’t have to make much more than a de minimis showing of why you want it. It is designed to protect people in the absence of substantial evidence.

thedustman

Jun 19, 2013
Melinda Karlsson Monika Caryk Karlsson Melnyk Melinda Caryk Karlsson Monika Melinda Melnyk Marlsson Carlssonmelinikaerikameldanarkarlsonika sheeeeesh

Reactions: Cellee

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad