JT Miller vs Mika Z

ManByng

It's Me OilTastic
Aug 4, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta
He was reportedly telling teams during his interview that he could be open to the OHL if a team preferred that route for him. I full expect him to attend UND, but there are rumblings that he will be a one and done type of player.

yup, just look at Tyler Pitlick, he made a choice to go to the WHL and not college.

SupersonicMonkey*

MILLER has exceptional speed --Z's is just average from what i saw. BOTH hit --but MILLER hits with speed --and that gets him more hits and hurts the oppnent to a greater degree ---Miller is so TENACIOUS --teams will hate playing a ganst a guy like this -the sPEED also helps him cause turnovers off the forecheck -it is this 3-way combo of speed ,hitting,and tenaciousness to will you into"submission" that is so imprssive with Miller ...as to the offense---it all came together for him at the U-18....he finished a lot better than Grimadli and he set up guys too showing he could both shoot and pass with the best of his peers if not better ( well kUCHEROV shhots at a Bossy-like level --nobody in this draft is even close to that stratoshere of sniper) .

YOU put the whole package-all the tools together at MILLER projects to a perfect 2nd line NHL centre at a Kesler level or if he fully hits his upside to a MESSIER "franchise" level on the right team (the right team would be CHI --which would then have 2 J.T.'s -a winning idea both from a markete's level and from a hockey ops NEED level of the type of 2nd line centre required) .

Zibanejad could be a good NHl'er-but I think Miller has the whole enchilala to be the most IMPACTFUL player to the right team's success.

iF CHI had a Kesler-level #2 centre to go with a TOEWS as the #1 centre--imagine how much that would ease the burden on Toews? CHI would dominate.

IF MILLER took itall the way up to MESSIER level ? IF you had TROEWS and MESSIER -how many Cups would that give?

So my point is -- do not draft MILLER to be the #1go to guy centre-His roleshould rather be a very good #2 line centre who does other things the 312 line centre does not and who can ease the burden on that guy.

KESLER is not the same type as H. SEDIN -but he still is a vital cog in vAN's offense AND its defense ...

IN CHI"s case ---if they have Toews,Miller and Bolland (3rdline shutdown centre)--well it almost won;t be fair...

WILL MILLER last to #18? Even more interesting willSTAN be so stupid as to bypass this perfect solution if he is there?

Here is how i see it:

MILLER goes either at #10 #14 #15 or #16 or he last to #18 where CHI is nuts if they don't take him. BUT because he did not score enough till the u-18's MINN probably takes the proven consistent scorer (LW BARTSCHI ) --CGY at #13 probably opts for the "bigger" MCNEILL and the "dub" factor and the longer grind of its scheduke plus the fact McNeill fights -a CGY style player ...DAL needs a playmaker to replace Richards who could leave as a UFA ---or a PP QB --they never replaced Zubov ...IF BEAULIEU is there maybe they take him ;if not maybe they take a the exceptional hockey sense of ZACK PHILLIPS--he makes set-up plays and can finish too -they won't overllook those 95 pts...

NYR at #15--they aready have a gritty Dubinsky -so instead they probably bet on the upside of a Scheifele if they want a centre --or they go scorig winger -maybe they bet on KUCHREROV .or play it safer with ARMIA or JENSEN or RATTIE.IF PHILLIPS is still there--maybe they bite onhis 95pts and exceptional hockey sense seeking the skilled offense type from the centre position in priority .

BUFF at #16 -OLEKESIAK is there-imagine a TWIN TOWERS with Myers? IF they go to a winger -maybe they want more size and grit again--SAAD or BIGGS?
They could howver take MILLER or SCHEIFELE here if cente is a target

MTLat #!&--D-men needs in the pipeline...OLEKESIAK ifstill there or CONNOR MURPHY or BORDIN or KLEFBOM --- 3 or 4 good dprospects for them to choose.

CHI at #18 --MILLER or SCHEIFELE could still be there..maybe both..maybe neither.

I think that if MINN is not taking a centre at #10 -MILERR has a good chance to last till #18 ..but if they deem getting a #2 centre behind KOIVU as their #1 (even though ETA is still 2-3years away ) but I'm talking filling structural org needs from the pipeline feeder --then they could take MILLER ,SCHEIFELE or PHHILLIPS here
--but the lure of a big scorer like Bartschi might make them go that route ..

The Rangers (Clark and Gorton more specifically, who run the Rangers draft) have more a tendency to go with a combination of physical tools, character, and size in the first round. And take the riskier pick in the second round.

We don't have a second round pick. We used both to acquire Tim Erixon.

I'm starting to get the feeling the last couple of days that Miller will be the pick if he is there.

We have had sources reveal that Grimaldi is probably not the pick, and that we will most likely go forward, while keeping #15.

So, If we don't trade up (Clark and Gorton don't trade down), assuming Zibanejad, McNeill, Scheifele, Armia are gone... and assuming the Rangers are even interested in them, Miller seems like the best fit as far as our drafting philosophy goes the last couple of years.

To me, Miller is a similar pick to Kreider. Kreider was their guy going into draft day.

Biggs is another one i can see us taking.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Miller speaks Rangers if you ask me...

Not sure why I think that. Just think that the Rangers will like him...

I think so, too, based on my mock draft. If the Avs take Larsson 2nd, I see them taking one of Grimaldi/Miller at #11, and the other going to either Dallas at 14 or NYR at 15.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
The Rangers (Clark and Gorton more specifically, who run the Rangers draft) have more a tendency to go with a combination of physical tools, character, and size in the first round. And take the riskier pick in the second round.

We don't have a second round pick. We used both to acquire Tim Erixon.

I'm starting to get the feeling the last couple of days that Miller will be the pick if he is there.

We have had sources reveal that Grimaldi is probably not the pick, and that we will most likely go forward, while keeping #15.

So, If we don't trade up (Clark and Gorton don't trade down), assuming Zibanejad, McNeill, Scheifele, Armia are gone... and assuming the Rangers are even interested in them, Miller seems like the best fit as far as our drafting philosophy goes the last couple of years.

To me, Miller is a similar pick to Kreider. Kreider was their guy going into draft day.

Biggs is another one i can see us taking.

Saw this post after my last one above...

Based on my mock, I figured the Rangers would take Khokhlachev if they didn't/couldn't take Grimaldi or Miller.

I see Scheifele going to Calgary at 13 (just makes too much sense). Zibenejad will go top 10, and Strome will go 10 to Minnesoata. Avs will take one of Miller/Grimaldi/Armia/Puempel if they take Larsson 2nd. If they don't take Larsson 2nd, they take a Dman at #11 (Klefbom/Beaulieu/Oleksiak). Carolina will also take a Dman from the same group, although you can maybe add Siemens in there.

Dallas is the big questionmark for me. The obvious, intellectual answer -- and also the gut feelings -- is they take the best Dman available. But given Miller/Grimaldi may be on the board, they may not be able to pass. McNeill will be intriguing to them, too, but I don't see them taking Armia. This is the one team I can't figure out what they're going to do. I guess it really depends on what elite players are left, rather than positional needs.

So, in short, I see at least one of Grimaldi or Miller being available to NYR at 15. If both were gone, that means Armia, McNeill, Puempel & Khokhlachev are all still on the board at 15.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
The issue with miller in the regular season was that he had try to carry the offense . With similiar talent,as in u18 he proved his worth.

I dont understand - he was on the US National team in the regular season? I dont think he had to carry that. Others didnt have a problem scoring - Grimaldi had 12 goals to Millers 3. Another four players had 10+ goals.

SupersonicMonkey*

Saw this post after my last one above...

Based on my mock, I figured the Rangers would take Khokhlachev if they didn't/couldn't take Grimaldi or Miller.

I see Scheifele going to Calgary at 13 (just makes too much sense). Zibenejad will go top 10, and Strome will go 10 to Minnesoata. Avs will take one of Miller/Grimaldi/Armia/Puempel if they take Larsson 2nd. If they don't take Larsson 2nd, they take a Dman at #11 (Klefbom/Beaulieu/Oleksiak). Carolina will also take a Dman from the same group, although you can maybe add Siemens in there.

Dallas is the big questionmark for me. The obvious, intellectual answer -- and also the gut feelings -- is they take the best Dman available. But given Miller/Grimaldi may be on the board, they may not be able to pass. McNeill will be intriguing to them, too, but I don't see them taking Armia. This is the one team I can't figure out what they're going to do. I guess it really depends on what elite players are left, rather than positional needs.

So, in short, I see at least one of Grimaldi or Miller being available to NYR at 15. If both were gone, that means Armia, McNeill, Puempel & Khokhlachev are all still on the board at 15.

Based on tendencies, there is no way the Rangers take Puempel or Khokhlachev.

Puempel has two strikes against him. Injury concern. And inconsistent compete level. As I said, character and compete level are taken very seriously by the Rangers.

Khokhlachev is Russian. Despite being in NA, just don't see them taking ANY risk as far as that goes in the first round.

McNeill I can see.

Armia maybe.

IMO, Miller and Biggs are prototypical Clark & Gorton first round Rangers picks.

I think unless a top 10 guy falls into our laps, ala Cherepanov and Del Zotto.

I don't see them taking a high risk pick. I see them taking a player that has a high probability of being a Pro. And who's game translates to the Pros the best. While having a high upside.

Zibanejad
McNeill
Scheifele
Miller
Biggs
Klefbom
Oleksiak

I have a feeling will be about what the Rangers draft board looks like.

And I think Zibanejad, McNeill, and Scheifele will be gone.

Last edited by a moderator:

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I dont understand - he was on the US National team in the regular season? I dont think he had to carry that. Others didnt have a problem scoring - Grimaldi had 12 goals to Millers 3. Another four players had 10+ goals.

How about this. Regular season < Tourney

I'm not going to dispute what you stated and i don't know why he didn't produce. But at one of the most important stages (for these kids) , he was great.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
How about this. Regular season < Tourney

I'm not going to dispute what you stated and i don't know why he didn't produce. But at one of the most important stages (for these kids) , he was great.

So you're not concerned that he wasn't as productive as some of his teammates when they played bigger, older, and more experienced players fairly often? It's a serious question mark for me if you're a big kid, but are only productive against other kids and way less productive against "adults". It's the same thing for guys in Swedish leagues. No one takes J18 or even J20 league scoring too seriously before seeing how they compete in the Eliteserien. Otherwise, the Westerholm brothers would already be high round draft picks, for example. No one should base the majority of their opinion on these short tournaments anyway, no matter how "important" one thinks they are. Important for exposure? Sure. Important for gauging their talent/potential? Not so much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad