Recalled/Assigned: JT Miller Assigned to Hartford

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Anyway, I just love how people whine about "Miller > Pyatt because offense".

I'm not a Pyatt fan either but JT Miller has 4 points in 27 NHL games. What offense do you speak of?

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Best for Miller's development to get more time in the AHL. It's easy to forget he is only 20. If he was drafted from the OHL this would likely be his first pro season.

16 To Stanley*

He'll be back when and if we have injuries. Now the onus is on Fast to prove he deserves to stay between now and when Hagelin returns.

I'd say Fast and Pyatt are fighting for a roster spot over the next month.

Agreed...not shocking....not happy with the move, but anyone could see that coming. AV loves pyatt, he will play.

ltsthinaz

Dec 20, 2011
Kingman, Arizona
Sometimes people forget the season is a marathon, not a sprint. While we don't want to get too far behind, usually Cup contenders are the teams coming on later in the season. Even in '11-'12, we were blazing hot in November, December and January, .500 thereafter, and lost meekly to the Devils in the ECF.

I think Pyatt is absolutely way too slow doing everything to be in the NHL, and Boyle can't stand upright half the time (at least Boyle does have some usefulness as a 4th line winger and PKer, though). Nonetheless, better early in the season to develop Miller, Fast (wasn't it Fasth last year?), Kreider, etc., than to play them as grinders/checkers with crappy offensive players like Pyatt/Boyle et al. on the bottom lines, where they have no chance to develop, and get benched every time they make a mistake.

I watched JT Miller play in the Junior Championships last year a lot. I understand the competition wasn't on the same level, but he played with panache - aggressive, not afraid to shoot or take chances. I'm seeing a timidity to do things instinctually now that I think comes from the fear of making a mistake.

16 To Stanley*

He was one of the better skaters last game, -1 for new coach. Honestly Derek Dorset is awful why is he on the team? Plus Moore looked terrible, lost

I like Miller, but he was not good against Phoenix.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Yeah. Boyle is a "bum." One of the best defensive forwards in the league is a "bum." Right. :laugh:

Pyatt is incredibly mediocre, but he's still a fair bit better than Miller.

Boyle blocks shots. He sucks at shadowing, coverage and anticipation. He's never sniffed a Selke.

Being a checking center doesn't mean you're good at it. Kinda like the kid who plays varsity sports but only 40 kids go to the school.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Miller is one of the most confident players I've ever seen, which is both a good and bad thing, so I'm not worried about the promotions/demotions getting to his head.

Pretty neutral on this. Fast aside (somewhat), it's crazy how much are prospects disappointed this preseason.

3rdlineglory

Korsi Kevin
Dec 1, 2012
Mahopac, NY
Boyle blocks shots. He sucks at shadowing, coverage and anticipation. He's never sniffed a Selke.

Being a checking center doesn't mean you're good at it. Kinda like the kid who plays varsity sports but only 40 kids go to the school.

Like Girardi, Boyle is overrated league wide. Hopefully Sather can sell him high at the deadline ala Gaustad.

16 To Stanley*

Miller is one of the most confident players I've ever seen, which is both a good and bad thing, so I'm not worried about the promotions/demotions getting to his head.

Pretty neutral on this. Fast aside (somewhat), it's crazy how much are prospects disappointed this preseason.

Couldn't agree more. And i don't think fast sticks once Hags is back.

Honestly, i think he's sitting out next game.

He's been the definition of "fine" since the first couple pre-season games.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Miller will be just fine.

This fan base has been a little spoiled with guys like McDonagh, Hagelin and so on stepping right in and contributing right away. Doesn't really work that way most times. Miller will be back, and will be better.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York

This fan base has been a little spoiled with guys like McDonagh, Hagelin and so on stepping right in and contributing right away. Doesn't really work that way most times. Miller will be back, and will be better.
Sooo you're saying he's NOT a bust?

16 To Stanley*

Agreed, add in Stepan, Lundqvist, Anisimov etc. People seem to forget Cally got called up and had some miserable kinks he had to work out in the AHL prior to putting it all together.

Miller will be fine. I truly believe Kreider will be too.

Some players take longer to develop. The past couple years this organization has been blessed with young talent stepping in and contributing immediatley.

If you look at other guys like Girardi, Hagelin, even Lundqvist to an extent, they spent quite a few years in outside leagues/professional hockey, prior to even getting their first cup of tea in the NHL.

Miller and Kreider have been top prospects since the day they were drafted, so they seem to have been around longer then under the radar, 6th and 7th round picks. But if Hags or Henrik were first round picks, the amount of time they took to develop would have frusturated a lot of people as well.

trilobyte

NYR Fan In the Foothills
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
I just have to agree with this move.

Watching him, I see a real hunger for the game and that is something that you can't manufacture (see 'Pavel Brendl'). And on top of it, it isn't as though that is all he has. I think he will be more than a fair to middling NHLer.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Once Hagelin is back and Fasth is moved back down, the Pack are going to be stacked.

Fasth, Kristo, Kreider, Lindberg, Miller, Hrivik.

That's an elite top 6 I would think.

Florida Ranger

Bring back Torts!
Sep 2, 2008
Wesley Chapel, FL
if Boyle was one of the best defensive forwards in the league, he would be a selke candidate... he is just a 4th liner that gets more ice time than he needs. he is replaceable like Betts was in the past.

And you believe all those Selke nominees are clearly better defensively than every single 3rd and 4th line forward out there? They win those awards because they know how to play great defense...AND put up decent offensive numbers.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia

This and i think that we have to take 20 games or so to get the young guys 20 min ice time in HFD and see how the NYR vets sort themselves out then we may see some changes.

Crazed Beaver

Jul 3, 2012
Swamp
It might be best for the kids to be in Hartford. I've been advocating for keeping as many kids up as possible but av is the coach so let him take the heat for his decisions. Any lineup with pyatt and Boyle getting big minutes will fail. Hartford will allow the kids to develop without the excess pressure to produce on an offensively challenged team, which is what the rangers will be. An argument could be made that Hartford will be the more entertaining team to watch this yr IMO.

It interesting how quickly some around here are to point out deficiencies in these kids without contemplating the alternative. The upside of these kids far outweighs what the current pylons bring to the table.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Once Hagelin is back and Fasth is moved back down, the Pack are going to be stacked.

Fasth, Kristo, Kreider, Lindberg, Miller, Hrivik.

That's an elite top 6 I would think.

We'll see.

Its certainly what youve been led to believe as a Ranger fan

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
It might be best for the kids to be in Hartford. I've been advocating for keeping as many kids up as possible but av is the coach so let him take the heat for his decisions. Any lineup with pyatt and Boyle getting big minutes will fail. Hartford will allow the kids to develop without the excess pressure to produce on an offensively challenged team, which is what the rangers will be. An argument could be made that Hartford will be the more entertaining team to watch this yr IMO.

It interesting how quickly some around here are to point out deficiencies in these kids without contemplating the alternative. The upside of these kids far outweighs what the current pylons bring to the table.

As will any lineup filled with multiple kids that aren't NHL ready, like the Rangers prospects.

When confronted with that type of decision, almost any coach would choose the NHL vets.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I think part of this decision comes down to the fact that Miller is a left shooter and Fast is a right. AV likes to have that balance on the lines.

With Cally in and Miller out it makes 9 lefty forwards and 4 righties in the lineup, instead of 10 and 3. (One righty per line perhaps?)

Surprising move? Not really with Cally coming back someone had to go down. It couldnt be Pyatt. (even though he slows the lineup down considerably).

This will be good for Miller and hopefully he and Kreids can build some chemistry together in the A.

Last edited:

Crazed Beaver

Jul 3, 2012
Swamp
As will any lineup filled with multiple kids that aren't NHL ready, like the Rangers prospects.

When confronted with that type of decision, almost any coach would choose the NHL vets.

I understand, but our division is going to be brutal and without improved bottom six scoring I don't see us making the playoffs. I feel for av because I think he's a great coach but I also believe he will quickly realize our only hope involves a solution including the kids. There are no guarantees but banking on our second line to hold up and provide consistent scoring is probably not realistic. You dont have to be an expert to see the brutally obvious. When you play a def style we did under torts you can mask these deficiencies easier IMO. Where will the scoring come from?

I acknowledge that I probably overrate our prospects but IMO there is a ******** of talent in Hartford right now and if it's not ready it's not to far away.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I understand, but our division is going to be brutal and without improved bottom six scoring I don't see us making the playoffs. I feel for av because I think he's a great coach but I also believe he will quickly realize our only hope involves a solution including the kids. There are no guarantees but banking on our second line to hold up and provide consistent scoring is probably not realistic. You dont have to be an expert to see the brutally obvious. When you play a def style we did under torts you can mask these deficiencies easier IMO. Where will the scoring come from?

I acknowledge that I probably overrate our prospects but IMO there is a ******** of talent in Hartford right now and if it's not ready it's not to far away.

What I see, time and time again, is people complaining about bottom 6 scoring when our top 6 cant score consistently. Why the pass for them? If they produced, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Its bizarre that the top 6, especially anyone outside of Nash and Stepan, can continue to not produce offensively and we still see so many posts complaining about Boyle and Pyatt.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
I'm shocked people were upset by this. I don't want him with the team playing on the bottom line with Moore. Total waste when he could be developing with 1st or 2nd line minutes and getting familiar hopefully with CK, Linberg, Hrivik, Kristo, etc who should all make the team barring trades within a year. We've had many guys including DUbs, Callahan, Anisimov, Staal, Girardi and MDZ who had to spend an extra year at the lower levels to hone their game. They all received cups of coffee in between until they were ready for full time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad